I'm a little freaked out by MBD

razzloe

I am a new chameleon owner, and have been reading up a lot on here to make sure I'm the best chameleon-mother ever. I'm not sure how old my veiled is, but when I bought her in december she was no larger than an inch. I've read so much about MBD and i'm worried that perhaps I'm not providing the right care for her.

I use ReptoLife plus as a calcium supplement because I was told it would work the best, but i'm not sure if there is something better I should provide her with.

As for lighting, during the day I use Exo-Terra Solar Glo and at night I use Exo-terra Night Glo. Once again, I was told these are the best for her but I want to be 100% sure.

She has always been incredibly friendly and crawled onto my hand with ease, but within the last two days when I put my hand in the cage she hisses and tries to bite me. I am not doing anything differently, so I do not understand why she acts like this.

And like I said, I've been reading a lot about MBD on here, and I'm worried I might be doing something wrong and that she'll get it! Some of the stories bring me to tears, I'd be devastated if I lost my little Kyra. I've heard symptoms are swollen ankles and bowed limbs, so I've attached a picture (poor quality I know) of what she looks like now. I've also heard that symptoms can include shaky movements and grabbing one's own limbs, which she does every now and again.

Maybe i'm just psyching myself out, but I really appreciate your help and input. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG-20120430-00275.jpg
    IMG-20120430-00275.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 142
Welcome to the forums! (sorry I didn't respond sooner) Kyra looks pretty good in that picture with nice straight limbs. It sound like you're on the right track with a UVB light and calcium supplementation but can you give us some more information?

What are you feeding her?
What are you feeding the bugs?
What are the temperatures in her cage (top and bottom)?
What is the humidity level in her cage?
How are you giving her water?

You do not need a night light for her as a drop in temperature is actually a beneficial thing that helps their metabolism. The change in attitude is not necessarily an indicator of anything other than she's a chameleon. At this age they start to come into their own and decide that they do not want to be disturbed in the environment where they feel comfortable. Many veiled chameleons are not friendly. You may have to think of her like a fish, more for looking than for handling. My male veiled tries to take my hand off if I reach in, and he's drawn blood before to prove it.

Last edited:
I am a new chameleon owner, and have been reading up a lot on here to make sure I'm the best chameleon-mother ever. I'm not sure how old my veiled is, but when I bought her in december she was no larger than an inch. I've read so much about MBD and i'm worried that perhaps I'm not providing the right care for her.

I use ReptoLife plus as a calcium supplement because I was told it would work the best, but i'm not sure if there is something better I should provide her with.

As for lighting, during the day I use Exo-Terra Solar Glo and at night I use Exo-terra Night Glo. Once again, I was told these are the best for her but I want to be 100% sure.

She has always been incredibly friendly and crawled onto my hand with ease, but within the last two days when I put my hand in the cage she hisses and tries to bite me. I am not doing anything differently, so I do not understand why she acts like this.

And like I said, I've been reading a lot about MBD on here, and I'm worried I might be doing something wrong and that she'll get it! Some of the stories bring me to tears, I'd be devastated if I lost my little Kyra. I've heard symptoms are swollen ankles and bowed limbs, so I've attached a picture (poor quality I know) of what she looks like now. I've also heard that symptoms can include shaky movements and grabbing one's own limbs, which she does every now and again.

Maybe i'm just psyching myself out, but I really appreciate your help and input. Thank you.

didnt read everything but she looks good. also- no on the night glo. pure dark is best. :)

thank you

oh thank you so much! in response to your questions:

What are you feeding her? I try to vary up her diet. She gets crickets, mealworms, and fresh veggies. I would like to introduce other bugs into her diet, but i'm not sure on where to purchase them yet.

What are you feeding the bugs? I also try to vary the crickets diet as well. Right now they're eating oranges and collard greens.

What are the temperatures in her cage (top and bottom)? Top temperature is 100 (is this too warm? the thermometer is RIGHT under the light). Should I have a bottom thermometer? what should it be at? I'll go get one tomorrow!

What is the humidity level in her cage? Humidity level is between 40% and 60%.

How are you giving her water? I mist the cage often around the area she is spending time, I would also like to find a better way to provide water to her if there is one.

I will gladly accept any advice. I really appreciate a website like this, these incredible animals deserve the best.
Other questions - any answers on why within the past two days she's been so cranky?
And any guesses on her age? My icon picture is fairly recent.

once again, thank you.

You have come to the right place to make sure your baby gets the best care!

Welcome to the forum! And your little one is adorable!

This is the best place for help, advice, and answers. Since you said you just started out, you can get the best help and suggestions to decrease the MBD risk by filling out the help form (it is long and seems like a pain but the help you will get will be invaluable in making it so much easier to take proper care of your pretty baby).

Just copy these questions and put in your answers after the questions. (If you want you can change the color that your answers are in so it is easier to find them (but try not to use red because most of the pros that will help like to use the red for suggestions and corrections! LOL)

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

And, just to let you know, MBD is survivable and the earlier that it is caught the better. And, don't stress out, but some chams are more prone to metabolic problems even with the right basics but even in those cases, if caught early enough, your baby can recover and be okay with more intense care (Boy can I vouch for that!!) Best prevention is attentiveness and good care and the fantastic people on here will help you get all that right.

Again, welcome to the world of chameleon keeping. I hope you have a great time here!

See! In the time it took me to put my reply together, you are already getting good advice and answers!

Yay! for helpful, wonderful forum members!

What are you feeding the bugs? I also try to vary the crickets diet as well. Right now they're eating oranges and collard greens.

Oranges are good for hydration and collard greens are a great gutloading ingredient rich in calcium! Here are some other options you can include: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/ferretinmyshoes/446-basics-gutloading.html

What are the temperatures in her cage (top and bottom)? Top temperature is 100 (is this too warm? the thermometer is RIGHT under the light). Should I have a bottom thermometer? what should it be at? I'll go get one tomorrow!

Much too hot!! It should only be around 85 degrees actually. Those sunglo bulbs get very warm, which is why I asked. You might need to get one bulb for UVB (reptiglo or reptisun) and one for basking so you can adjust the wattage to get the temperature range you need.

How are you giving her water? I mist the cage often around the area she is spending time, I would also like to find a better way to provide water to her if there is one.

You can poke a small hole in the bottom of a styrofoam or plastic cup so that it drips out slowly (a drop every few seconds) onto the leaves in her cage. I the wild they drink dew and raindrops so that is what they look for. And that will last several hours to give her plenty of opportunities to drink.

Oh she looks fine! Dont worry haha! But listen to others on the forum, lots of great info will come your way! So much as the biting goes, you might be getting too confident when you put your hand in the cage, always go real slow and calm make sure you go under them not over, they HATE that. Slowly so it doesnt freak them out! :D

you definatley have it too hot for her! Especially being a female, you do not want her producing eggs at too young of an age or if ever. High temps are thought to increase egg production. And I am sure you have read on here they can start laying eggs as early as 5 months without being mated. I would drop that temp back to abou 85 degrees and your cage temp should be in the mid 70's. most of us use seperate basking bulbs like a 40 watt white housebulb housed in a dome fixture and then use a tube style 5.0 uvb either reptisun or reptiglo.

Last edited:
Re: you have come to the right place

Thank you for your help. I just want to be sure that she is getting perfect care.

Your Chameleon - Female Veiled, unsure of age been in my care for 5 months. Attached is picture of her size when first bought her, and one of her now.
Handling - I attempt to handle her every day, but during finals It got down to every other or every 2 days. (perhaps this is why she's grumpy now?)
Feeding - Right now she is getting 4 crickets, a mealworm and fresh vegies every day. I vary up the cricket's gut-loaded diet, currently they are eating oranges and collard greens.
Supplements - I gutload Reptolife plus and sprinkle some on the crickets before feeding as well.
Watering - I occasionally see my chameleon drinking, I mist at LEAST 4 times a day, would like a better way to feed her if there are any.
Fecal Description - Chameleon has not been tested for parasites, just cleaned the tank so cant describe feces :( i'll pay attention though
History - N/A

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Glass/Screen Combo. Dimensions 18" by 18", 25" tall
Lighting - Brand: Exo-terra, model: Day Glo and Night Glo. Not sure about more info than that. Day light is on from 7am - 8pm (I hope this is enough!)
Temperature - I measure temperature with a thermometer, only have one at top of cage, need to get another. During day it's about 98 and at night probably 70s.
Humidity - Humidity levels are between 40 and 60%. I mist her tank frequently in order to do this. Would love to know about better ways to keep humidity high. I used a little humidity measurer? Not sure how to describe it.
Plants - Fake plants, would love to learn more and use live ones though!
Placement - Cage is located in bedroom, on a large nightstand by the wall. Located between bathroom and bedroom doors, not too high of traffic other than me and my dog companion (who doesn't bother Kyra, but is extremely jealous). My ceiling is 12ft tall, and the cage is only on a 2 1/2 foot nighstand. There is an airvent close to it, but not on top of it.
Location - Portland, OR

Current problem - I primarily want to be sure i'm giving her the best care possible. Plus i'm freaked out by MBD from what i've read, want to be sure i prevent it (or at least catch it early).
However the main problem i'm facing is that she isn't as friendly as she was before. Within the last week she wont even let me hold her. If I put my hand in the cage she hisses and tries to bite me (unless of course, there is food on that hand). Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG-20120412-00223.jpg
    IMG-20120412-00223.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1255.jpg
    IMG_1255.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 79
Thank you for your help. I just want to be sure that she is getting perfect care.

Your Chameleon - Female Veiled, unsure of age been in my care for 5 months. Attached is picture of her size when first bought her, and one of her now.
Handling - I attempt to handle her every day, but during finals It got down to every other or every 2 days. (perhaps this is why she's grumpy now?)
Feeding - Right now she is getting 4 crickets, a mealworm and fresh vegies every day. I vary up the cricket's gut-loaded diet, currently they are eating oranges and collard greens.
Supplements - I gutload Reptolife plus and sprinkle some on the crickets before feeding as well. Females need calcium without d3 for every feeding, calcium with d3 twice a month, multivitamin twice a month
Watering - I occasionally see my chameleon drinking, I mist at LEAST 4 times a day, would like a better way to feed her if there are any.
Fecal Description - Chameleon has not been tested for parasites, just cleaned the tank so cant describe feces :( i'll pay attention though
History - N/A

Cage Info:

Lighting - Brand: Exo-terra, model: Day Glo and Night Glo. Not sure about more info than that. Day light is on from 7am - 8pm (I hope this is enough!) NO LIGHT LIGHTS! chams need darkness to sleep. and i dont think you have a UVB bulb. so you need to get one. reptiglo or reptisun 5.0.
Temperature - I measure temperature with a thermometer, only have one at top of cage, need to get another. During day it's about 98 and at night probably 70s.that is way too hot! females need temps around 83 deg. was it the temp on her basking branch> not just right under the light.
Humidity - Humidity levels are between 40 and 60%. I mist her tank frequently in order to do this. Would love to know about better ways to keep humidity high. I used a little humidity measurer? Not sure how to describe it.
Placement - Cage is located in bedroom, on a large nightstand by the wall. Located between bathroom and bedroom doors, not too high of traffic other than me and my dog companion (who doesn't bother Kyra, but is extremely jealous). My ceiling is 12ft tall, and the cage is only on a 2 1/2 foot nighstand. There is an airvent close to it, but not on top of it.
Location - Portland, OR

Current problem - I primarily want to be sure i'm giving her the best care possible. Plus i'm freaked out by MBD from what i've read, want to be sure i prevent it (or at least catch it early).
However the main problem i'm facing is that she isn't as friendly as she was before. Within the last week she wont even let me hold her. If I put my hand in the cage she hisses and tries to bite me (unless of course, there is food on that hand). Any suggestions?

Veileds arent cuddle animals. Most arent even friendly. soo.. all you can do is try to hand feed her, dont handle her often.

Good luck!

Thank you everybody. I'll make the necessary changes immediately. I know Veiled's aren't cuddly creatures, I just didn't know if there might be a reason since the change was so sudden. I'm so grateful for all of you, and blessed that you took the time to answer my concerns.

Supplements - I gutload Reptolife plus and sprinkle some on the crickets before feeding as well.
History - N/A

Cage Info:

Lighting - Brand: Exo-terra, model: Day Glo and Night Glo. Not sure about more info than that. Day light is on from 7am - 8pm (I hope this is enough!)
Temperature - I measure temperature with a thermometer, only have one at top of cage, need to get another. During day it's about 98 and at night probably 70s.
Location - Portland, OR

Lol thanks for flicking us off

I feel like i've got a good amount of information for now. Your other posts have a lot of information (ferritinmyshoes) So I know where I can turn if i need help.

:)

And i'm sorry about the baby picture of kyra! what can I say, she loved to sit on my middle finger. wouldn't move!

thank you all! my worries are at ease.

Hi! Your baby is very cute.

I wanted to second the idea of using 2 lights, one for heat, one for UVB. I started out using a combo bulb but switched and find the flexibility to be very helpful. I can move my heat bulb up and down without worrying about changing how the UVB penetrates, I can change the wattage on my heat lamp if I need to, I can even turn the heat bulb off if the day is too hot for my little ones.

You might want to invest in a temperature gun...that will let you check the temperatures in all the spots in your enclosure...

Back
Top Bottom