I'll be away.....

Extensionofgreen

Chameleon Enthusiast
Sunday, I leave to spend until June 10th in the jungles of Ecuador, collecting new and unusual plant material for introduction to some of the horticultural organizations I work with, that promote education, conservation, and the captive propagation of plants from threatened and poorly explored areas. I likely will not have much internet access during that time, so will miss my daily checking ins on the forums.
Stay well everyone and look forward to seeing some great posts when I return.

Enjoy! Hope you see some wildlife...like sloths, ocelots, jaguars, monkeys, etc....depending on where you are!
I'll be going from high to low elevations and I'm certainly hoping to find some interesting wildlife as well. I'd love to ride with one of the tropical fish collecting boats and see all of the amazing fish, the rivers of the region have to offer. There's so much to see, from dartfrogs, to sloths, and insect and plant life that will be so tempting not to be overwhelmed by. I plan to take TONS of pictures.

There are amazing hummingbirds there and beautiful butterflies too.

Unfortunately...isn't the zika virus there too??

Sunday, I leave to spend until June 10th in the jungles of Ecuador, collecting new and unusual plant material for introduction to some of the horticultural organizations I work with, that promote education, conservation, and the captive propagation of plants from threatened and poorly explored areas. I likely will not have much internet access during that time, so will miss my daily checking ins on the forums.
Stay well everyone and look forward to seeing some great posts when I return.

My bag is packed! I will be sitting at the end of my sidewalk waiting for You and Jim to come pick me up!! :p

I'm glad you are getting to go and I think it will be a fabulous trip!! When I was in Costa Rica the year before last, I realized that Off only works in the states. It does absolutely nothing in the tropics. Good luck, have fun and don't lick any dartfrogs!

P.S. - Can you sneak me back a couple of Proboscis Anoles.....please and thank you!!

Guess they tell too many lies! Just like Pinocchio!
Hey...if you're going with them then you can pick up your own! :)
You better have a good explanation for the border patrol though. :)

The gentlemen we are working with operates a permitted nursery, that ships and sells material to the USA, so we won't be carrying material on our person. It is easy to get permits, but the inspectors aren't really trained to inspect and handle random plant material and can toss your parcel, just because, even if you have the correct paperwork. It's very arbitrary and typical government induced regulation, without proper means to enforce or handle their own required paperwork. You would also have to line up an appt., when you land, with an inspector and that's really only possible if you're flying through Miami or other ports that regularly handle exotic animal and plant imports. For these reasons, we will collect and package our things before we leave and have our guide ship them to us.

Back
Top Bottom