Identifying Species

Andyharms

Afternoon All

I am buying this chameleon and want to make sure I have the right set up. Could you help and tell me the species of this one?

Thanks

Andrew

Attachments

• IMG-7808.jpg
    IMG-7808.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 84
Thanks both. The guy in the shop had no idea on the species but said it was a boy! 🙄
So a Yemen girl is a veiled female then. I think I have the right set up for it.

Veiled for sure. If you can get a close up pic of the back of the back feet we can give you a for sure answer on gender. Males will have tiny spurs there and females do not.

Thanks for all your help. The set up is good and had him a day now.

Can I ask some more advise. I had him a day and he hasn't seemed to make any effort to get his food. I was advised to leave the crickets in a tub on the base of the cage but he hasn't eaten today. I've been conscious no to bother him too much to get settled in.

Thanks

Thanks for all your help. The set up is good and had him a day now.

Can I ask some more advise. I had him a day and he hasn't seemed to make any effort to get his food. I was advised to leave the crickets in a tub on the base of the cage but he hasn't eaten today. I've been conscious no to bother him too much to get settled in.

Thanks
Do you have a feeder run? Baby looks small so a tub on the bottom would have to be shallow and there would need to be vines or sticks really close so he can get down to them. Maybe post a pic of the enclosure and the tub.

No I dont have a feeder run. I've got a pot that's not too deep but deep enough so that the crickets dont jump out. i've got a stick across the top of it. Will monitor it. Thank you I think the silk worms will be easier. Will pick some up

No I dont have a feeder run. I've got a pot that's not too deep but deep enough so that the crickets dont jump out. i've got a stick across the top of it. Will monitor it. Thank you I think the silk worms will be easier. Will pick some up
Can you show a picture? If the baby has never eaten silks it may not go for them.

So a few things here. baby is tiny so you need tons of branches and tiny vines. You can use floral wire to attach them to the screen but make sure the ends of the wire are on the outside of the cage.
The wrapped branch is not recommended. They can get their nails caught up in it. Bare real branches or fluckers vines are the two better options. The fluckers vines come in all different diameters as well.

I seriously doubt baby is going to go down and eat out of the black pot. With them being arboreal the ground is something they tend to not venture to as babies. You could try to attach the tub thing up higher with a zip tie. But I am betting baby is going to stay close to the larger plant so it feels safe. Feeders for this one would need to be 1/4 inch max.

Also I am not seeing UVB lighting. This part is very important.

Thanks a lot for your advice. Much appreciated. I'll sort this.
The lamp at the top of the cage in the previous pics is the one attached. I'm currently having it on for 11 hours in the day.
I am also misting the leaves 4 times a day. Do I need another water source like the drippers you can buy?

Attachments

• UVB.jpg
    UVB.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 63
Thanks a lot for your advice. Much appreciated. I'll sort this.
The lamp at the top of the cage in the previous pics is the one attached. I'm currently having it on for 11 hours in the day.
I am also misting the leaves 4 times a day. Do I need another water source like the drippers you can buy?
So these are actually not recommended for chams. They typically have a much higher UVI output then a cham should be exposed to and they produce much hotter temps.

You will want to replace this asap. You want a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb. These are linear fixtures and bulbs. With this fixture and bulb you would then want your distance to the branches below it to be 8-9 inches for the correct UVI level. The fixture sits on top of the cage. If baby screen climbs the top then we have to accommodate for that. so it would be a different distance and a raised fixture.

Then for heat you want just a regular incandescent white house hold bulb. 60-75watt max. Again if baby screen climbs the top we need to raise the fixture to ensure it does not get a thermal burn. Temp at basking branch below should be 80 max.

For a dripper a plastic solo cup with a few tiny pin holes in the bottom set on top of the cage over plants with ice cubes in it will provide a slow drip during the day. You can also do room temp water if you want a faster drip rate.

Let me know what questions you have.

This is a great resource as well that will walk you through every step https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

She's gorgeous!! Listen to @Beman she'll help you get a setup that keeps your Cham healthy and happy. Lots can go wrong with these critters like metabolic bone disease (caused by using the wrong lights and supplements).

Hello. Cute baby cham you have there! I wanted to add does your enclosure sit permanently in front of that mirror? Chameleons are kept solo in cages due to them not being welcome of other chameleons. If yours sees themselves in the mirror it could cause unnecessary stress.

My albo monstera would love that climbing pole!! If you havent already you can go outside and collect some small tiny branches to put in there. Hardwoods are good then sappy/softwood avoid. Some people bake the branches in oven to sanitize. I find a good rinse in the sink works fine.

This is amazing help. Thank you so much. I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing but clearly not! So much for so called professional advice! The mirror is a temporary thing and I did think this myself. We currently live in the middle east so rely heavily on AC. It wasn't working properly in the designated room so this is a temporary fix. The advise on the feeding work and much happier now. Will change the fitting asap.

Me again. Sorry for the handholding but please can you send me a link to exactly what fitting and bulb I need for the UVB? I'm trying to source it here but can't get it and confused with the descriptions im getting online. Especially for my 18x18 inch cage.
Sorry again but I want to get this right. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom