Ideas needed please

jojackson

Hi guys, as you know, I also keep turtles, unfortunately Ive discovered my pond filter is just not quite up to the job.
Im thinking, adding in a biological Filter, some kind of drum with media between the filter and the pond. If any of you has built their own bio filter
could you please share your design ideas?
Whatever info you have, such as ideal media etc would be appreciated, along with pics if possible.
cheers :)

I had a 75gal for about 5yrs wit a miss map,yellow bellied slider n red ear slider and a couple huge goldfish!:D I ran FLUVAL 402 AND A 202 I believe,, and it worked great!

Thanks Laurie, Appreciated. :)
Cham 76, thanks mate,
The fluval cannister types were always good, but for tanks, This pond is 3meters in diameter and almost 3 ft deep, I have no idea what water volume that is, but more than a large tank or two.
The filter Im using is a cannister pool filter that turns over the volume every 2 hrs or so, according to the specs, which is fine for water movement and oxygenation, But its interior volume and filter type are woefully inadequate as far as biological filtration goes.
I have a 60 liter barrel in mind for conversion. Im thinking of a layer of sand 6" then half the remainder dead coral (porous means great bacteria bed, plus calcification of water)
then some kind of filter media filing the rest. Im going top need some kind of backflow valve because I dont run it 24/7 and I want the barrel aerobic.
cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom