Ideal Humidity?

ebclark

Hey everyone! I haven't posted on here for a while, but just some background:
I have a beautiful Veiled Chameleon named Percy that is almost a year old now! Originally I was having some trouble keeping his humidity up, but since then I wrapped two sides of his cage and have added a lot more live plants and since then I don't have trouble keeping it up at all!

I just got a MistKing delivered and will be reading (and re-reading 10x) the instructions and trying to set up the seconds timer tomorrow. However, I've seen a lot of different answers for the ideal humidity level. I originally thought I shouldn't mist his cage an hour before his bed time because I thought it should almost dry out over night, but I've also seen some answers here that say it should be higher at night. I'm a little confused and hoping someone can give me an ideal range for the day time and night time.

Also, is it okay to wrap three sides of the cage or do you think this won't allow enough airflow for him?

Here's a picture of my handsome little man just because :)

Attachments

• IMG_1396.JPG
    IMG_1396.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 119
I've read the same online. Most recommend misting during the day but I read in a few places that the humidity should be provided at night time. I'd like to hear feedback as well.

Do you have a picture of the enclosure?
Here's a picture of his enclosure (disclosure: planning to get a new hibiscus tomorrow since this one is in recovery.)

Also if anyone has any recommendations for his enclosure I appreciate feedback!

Attachments

• IMG_5150.JPG
    IMG_5150.JPG
    245.8 KB · Views: 126
I've read the same online. Most recommend misting during the day but I read in a few places that the humidity should be provided at night time. I'd like to hear feedback as well.
Good to know I'm not the only one seeing different recommendations for this!

Yes, we are in the midst of a shift in approach to humidity in the community. A number of us are working with more closely replicating the natural humidity cycles we see in the wild of a rise to very high RH in the early mornings to a low during the day. We are finding that this natural humidity cycle drastically decreases how much water chameleons need to drink during the day.

The reason why the community (using gross generalizations here) at large has done multiple misting during the day is because we didn’t think about anything happening at night and so we all developed this unnatural hydration schedule that worked.
So you are witnessing the transition of approaches in this hobby and there will be a great deal of overlap for some time to come.

Here is a podcast episode you can listen to if you would like to do more research into this naturalistic method.

Yes, we are in the midst of a shift in approach to humidity in the community. A number of us are working with more closely replicating the natural humidity cycles we see in the wild of a rise to very high RH in the early mornings to a low during the day. We are finding that this natural humidity cycle drastically decreases how much water chameleons need to drink during the day.

The reason why the community (using gross generalizations here) at large has done multiple misting during the day is because we didn’t think about anything happening at night and so we all developed this unnatural hydration schedule that worked.
So you are witnessing the transition of approaches in this hobby and there will be a great deal of overlap for some time to come.

Here is a podcast episode you can listen to if you would like to do more research into this naturalistic method.

Soooo helpful, thank you!

Ill be doing the "shift" as soon as i figure out how to do it "silently". Considering my mister is my alarm clock. Could consider putting a humidifier in an adjoining room and running a hose through the wall :)

Ill be doing the "shift" as soon as i figure out how to do it "silently". Considering my mister is my alarm clock. Could consider putting a humidifier in an adjoining room and running a hose through the wall :)
The humidifiers produced and sold on todays market are usually pretty whisper quite. I agree with the natural humidity practice and have been trying to replicate it the best I can with the low RH we have here in Southern Colorado. Which is difficult because I'm usually fighting the AC unit or the furnace for control lol. My mistings are rather light 30seconds every 4hrs. Total of 4 mistings a day for 2min total. This is mainly to give them the opportunity to drink should they choose and a quick top off of humidity. 1-30second misting usually grants me another 10-12% humidity bump. I do plan on blocking off 2 sides of each of my 2x2x4 enclosures this winter with the Ducktape window insulation kit this weekend as it is already snowing and below freezing here at night.

I am never one to say everyone should jump over to a new husbandry strategy right away as we, as a community, need to get comfortable with how to execute these new ideas in a way that we don’t mess something up. But I will say that I have been pleasantly surprised at how well it works. I use the poop moisture as a guide and have been able to dial it in that way. I found some of my chameleons will learn where the fogger goes off during the night and go to sleep there. So, this is one “new” idea I am spending a great deal of time working with. I am very happy with the results.

I am never one to say everyone should jump over to a new husbandry strategy right away as we, as a community, need to get comfortable with how to execute these new ideas in a way that we don’t mess something up. But I will say that I have been pleasantly surprised at how well it works. I use the poop moisture as a guide and have been able to dial it in that way. I found some of my chameleons will learn where the fogger goes off during the night and go to sleep there. So, this is one “new” idea I am spending a great deal of time working with. I am very happy with the results.
Bill, can you share details about your current fogger setup with us? I'm curious and would like to do some more research.

No mistings?
Schedule for fogger
Fogger make/model
Location of fogger in your setup in respect to height from floor, near branches?

I am only misting twice a day. Once in the morning before the lights come on and once in the evening right before the lights go out. My humidity sensors are maxed at 99% all night and still reads 99% in the morning before the morning mist happens.

Since I'm already 99% all night long, is it even any benefit to add a nighttime fogger?

I am only misting twice a day. Once in the morning before the lights come on and once in the evening right before the lights go out. My humidity sensors are maxed at 99% all night and still reads 99% in the morning before the morning mist happens.

Since I'm already 99% all night long, is it even any benefit to add a nighttime fogger?
That sounds sketchy to me, but it could be true. I would get another hydrometer and compare the percent. If it is true then I don't think you should.

That sounds sketchy to me, but it could be true. I would get another hydrometer and compare the percent. If it is true then I don't think you should.
You maybe right.

I do have a glass enclosure, but the water maybe sitting in my two humidity sensors that I have in the cage since they do get wet when the mistking sprays.

But it is definitely still high. The leaves on top of the substrate are still wet when I wake up in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom