Idea for attaching vines/branches in screen enclosures

use magnets to attach vines

I'm still in the "research phase" before getting my cham and am wondering about how best to attach vines and branches for cham navigation throughout the enclosure.

It seems most keepers use wire ties or similar to attach the branches to the screen, which necessitates puncturing the screen and frankly doesn't look all that great. I was thinking instead, to attach 1/4" thick x 1-1/2" wide wood strips (sealed with marine varnish) attached with hot glue or similar along the width of the enclosure (inside), end to end (glued to the aluminum frame), then drilling holes of slightly less than the diameter of the vine or branch every few inches along the wood strip. This provides a variety of locations to attach the vine and a strong anchor to attach: simply "plug" the end of the vine into the holes, one at one end of the vine and the other end to another wood strip on the other side. The size of the drilled holes and the tension of the vines from end to end should keep them in place and well anchored. 3 strips on each side of the enclosure, one near the top, one near the middle and one towards the bottom, would provide a "framework" for creating a "highway" of navigable branches (actually, I'm thinking of using different diameters of Zoomed's artificial vines). This idea also makes it easy to remove the vines for cleaning and for easy rearrangement. The way vines and branches are attached in most enclosures I've seen just seem kind of flimsy and not very natural looking. I haven't actually tried this yet, but am curious what more experienced keepers think about this idea. There's got to be a better way to attach these things than just using ties attached to the screen.

That sounds like a lot of work, I went to lowes and bought a large circular magnet with a hole in the middle , I put a Hillman rubber grommet in the hole 5/16x5/8x5/8x7/16 scan#38902003935 put one on inside and magnet on the outside they are very strong put a wood dowel rod in the groomets inside and you have a branch then you can wrap vines around it and hang them. I wish I could post a pic but I don't know how. I am new to this also. I also bought a tray from diycages that fit in my reptibreeze to collect water when I spray. I wandered lowes for hours I didn't want to use zipties. I love the bendable vines, my cage is loaded with them.

This isn't the perfect answer, but it was easy. I fish in saltwater a lot so we have tons of heavy pound test leader material at our disposal. I used 30# test leader and wrapped and weaved it carefully thru the screen. Multiple wraps helps to spread the load out so not to rip the screen.

I cannot push thumb tacks/push pins in dowels, they're way too hard. For those using those to secure branches, are the branches much softer than wooden dowels?

Back
Top Bottom