Idea for attaching vines/branches in screen enclosures

gideonus

I'm still in the "research phase" before getting my cham and am wondering about how best to attach vines and branches for cham navigation throughout the enclosure.

It seems most keepers use wire ties or similar to attach the branches to the screen, which necessitates puncturing the screen and frankly doesn't look all that great. I was thinking instead, to attach 1/4" thick x 1-1/2" wide wood strips (sealed with marine varnish) attached with hot glue or similar along the width of the enclosure (inside), end to end (glued to the aluminum frame), then drilling holes of slightly less than the diameter of the vine or branch every few inches along the wood strip. This provides a variety of locations to attach the vine and a strong anchor to attach: simply "plug" the end of the vine into the holes, one at one end of the vine and the other end to another wood strip on the other side. The size of the drilled holes and the tension of the vines from end to end should keep them in place and well anchored. 3 strips on each side of the enclosure, one near the top, one near the middle and one towards the bottom, would provide a "framework" for creating a "highway" of navigable branches (actually, I'm thinking of using different diameters of Zoomed's artificial vines). This idea also makes it easy to remove the vines for cleaning and for easy rearrangement. The way vines and branches are attached in most enclosures I've seen just seem kind of flimsy and not very natural looking. I haven't actually tried this yet, but am curious what more experienced keepers think about this idea. There's got to be a better way to attach these things than just using ties attached to the screen.

Florist wire works well to attach items to the screen (vines,branches). I also saw a great idea on ChamElisa's page, where she used thumb tacks through the screen to attach larger branches spaning the width of the enclosure. Great idea!:)

-Jay

I'm still in the "research phase" before getting my cham and am wondering about how best to attach vines and branches for cham navigation throughout the enclosure.

It seems most keepers use wire ties or similar to attach the branches to the screen, which necessitates puncturing the screen and frankly doesn't look all that great. I was thinking instead, to attach 1/4" thick x 1-1/2" wide wood strips (sealed with marine varnish) attached with hot glue or similar along the width of the enclosure (inside), end to end (glued to the aluminum frame), then drilling holes of slightly less than the diameter of the vine or branch every few inches along the wood strip. This provides a variety of locations to attach the vine and a strong anchor to attach: simply "plug" the end of the vine into the holes, one at one end of the vine and the other end to another wood strip on the other side. The size of the drilled holes and the tension of the vines from end to end should keep them in place and well anchored. 3 strips on each side of the enclosure, one near the top, one near the middle and one towards the bottom, would provide a "framework" for creating a "highway" of navigable branches (actually, I'm thinking of using different diameters of Zoomed's artificial vines). This idea also makes it easy to remove the vines for cleaning and for easy rearrangement. The way vines and branches are attached in most enclosures I've seen just seem kind of flimsy and not very natural looking. I haven't actually tried this yet, but am curious what more experienced keepers think about this idea. There's got to be a better way to attach these things than just using ties attached to the screen.

small black automotive zip ties, they are small enough you dont have to bend the screen, and you just run it through and snip off the end. if you use glue its going to be stuck, and you run a risk of really messing up the cage if you ever want to move it ect. they may also be called electronics zip ties... i dunno, but if you dont like that then you can find some black twist ties, and where they are soft you can pretty much just tuck them back through, and never see them.

I use some thin wire I got at Michaels in the jewelry isle. florist wire will work well also. I use the thumb tack or push pin method on sticks and the wire on vines.

I use some thin wire I got at Michaels in the jewelry isle. florist wire will work well also. I use the thumb tack or push pin method on sticks and the wire on vines.

Only problem is that the floral wire rusts and corrodes over time. It'll work for a while. I used floral wire before I figured out how to use the zip ties. I love zip ties!!! :D

If you have a nice bushy ficus, or schefflera you can zip tie the branches or soaker hose or whatever vines you're using to the plant. The thing about the zip ties and your plants, you should remove them when you notice that your tree is trying to grow around it. If you wait too long, the zip tie will be stuck inside the plant stem. Plants are cool like that.

Jason, I really like that thumbtack idea too. Steve Sims gets full credit for that one. :D

No doubt. The viv is constantly wet. Everything in my PDF viv has to be able to withstand the high humidity. I'm going to buy more of the wire to use in the cham cages that I am currently setting up.

I'll take a picture of some left over wire later and post it in my thread. It looks just like floral/jewelry wire. Thin and green.... but doesn't rust or corrode..:cool:

I read how someone used magents - one on end of branch, one on other side of screen.

I use wood cages, so certainly I think using a wood frame to provide support for branches is a good plan :)

I agree with the small black zip ties. They work great. The do not ruin the screen, either. AND, they are cheap enough that if you want to remove all of the vines for cleaning or rearranging, you can just cut them off and replace them.

I use small black zip ties from lowes - cheap and work well. They are easy to remove - the wires can be a pain, and break, leaving sharp wire pieces all over. Zip ties are not so neat, but they can be made to work.

Hi..I just went to Menards and got 250ft of twist tie with cutter for 1.95. I just set my cage up and seems to work pretty good.:D

Later

I Have a Ficus Tree that I interlaced with 3 medium Bio Vines and some driftwood. Bio Vine is able to hold the Chams weight without the need for tie raps or any other wire. Looks Clean!

Attachments

• _IGP7951.jpg
    _IGP7951.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 282
another option

As yet another option...look at the video recently published called "How to handle a chameleon". It was made by Vince at Screameleons. They "line" the inside of their cages with a sturdy plastic mesh. You can see it in the background if you watch the video. I have also used plastic covered wire fence this way - you can buy either of these at a large hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot (U.S.) in rolls and cut it to fit your cage. Works great on the sides and back. You can actually attach it at the top to the screen frame rather than to the screen itself and let it hang down. I secure it at a lower point to the frame as well. Thin, green florist wire works well to secure it. This lining serves two purposes, first, you can anchor plants, vines or branches directly to this - rather than to your screen. It provides a sturdy infrastructure that the screen itself can't really provide. Especially for bigger chams. Also, it provides a nice place for your cham to climb instead of on the screen itself. I have heard that occasionally a cham climbing directly on the screen will fall and pull out the claw or nail at the end of his toe. This sturdier mesh saves some of those injuries. Just a thought - lots of ways to do the same thing out there.

I trim the ends of the artificial branch so a little metal is sticking out, bend that down, and poke both ends through the screen. With the larger branches I did the same thing except I cut smaller pieces for horizontal branches, so i would have 3 shorter branches. Works for me right now, but I do want to get some plastic mesh and line the cage as well.

good old fashion tumb tacks (ones with flat heads look best) work well..stick them in the holes of the screen pinning the ends of branches, logs, etc.

I Have a Ficus Tree that I interlaced with 3 medium Bio Vines and some driftwood. Bio Vine is able to hold the Chams weight without the need for tie raps or any other wire. Looks Clean!

I did the same. Makes it easy to take ficus and vines out at the same time for cleaning.

oh, note the little blue thingy in the upper corner. WEBCAM!!!! sweeeeeet.

Attachments

• urlich's crib.jpg
    urlich's crib.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom