ID Day Gecko

ajohnchoi

Please my friends,

Help me identify the scientific name of the following day gecko.

CIMG6832-b.jpg

Thanks alot.

is it an adult? how long is it? can u post a picture from the lateral wiew? My first tip is Phelsuma laticauda, but im def not sure!

is it an adult? how long is it? can u post a picture from the lateral wiew? My first tip is Phelsuma laticauda, but im def not sure!

Actually, I want to buy this from a supplier and this is the only picture he can give me, and it is currently 11cm.

P. laticauda grows up to 13-14 cm as i know, and looks like just the same. Isnt the supplier know about the name of the species he sells? strange, but well, if there is no stripe on the geckos sides, and wont grow more than 14 cm about, im almost sure its a laticauda. Try to ask more pictures.. but...there is a link you can ask for it too: http://www.captivebredreptileforums.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37 I made a thread and asked....waiting for the answer now:)

and whats up with its right back leg? are there missing toes?

Good luck!:)

Ricardo

P. laticauda grows up to 13-14 cm as i know, and looks like just the same. Isnt the supplier know about the name of the species he sells? strange, but well, if there is no stripe on the geckos sides, and wont grow more than 14 cm about, im almost sure its a laticauda. Try to ask more pictures.. but...there is a link you can ask for it too: http://www.captivebredreptileforums.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37
Let me know if you figured out it! :)

and whats up with its right back leg? are there missing toes?

Good luck!:)

Ricardo

I'm checking for mor pix from him but he's offline now. I checked P. Laticauda on the net, it seems that the tail is of different color. Is this same?

Regarding the back right leg, still checking with that guy, hope this is a sample picture only.

Unfortunately, this particular day gecko is on the CITES banned list. We haven't seen it since 1995 I think.
I used to have a pair back in 93 and they were my favorite. Great looking gecko. I'd love to have more of them.

Unfortunately, this particular day gecko is on the CITES banned list. We haven't seen it since 1995 I think.
I used to have a pair back in 93 and they were my favorite. Great looking gecko. I'd love to have more of them.

The laticauda is on the CITES list? I had a pair from 1997 until 2002 that hitched a ride over with a shipment of chameleons (my friend was going to feed them to his Parsons but I didn't have the heart to)! They bred and laid eggs and had babies!!!What fun that was, they are beautiful though...little jewels.

Day gecko's surface layer will tear relatively easily during handling so they are best a "look but don't touch" herp.
Its not uncommon for them to lose toes during a shed, sometimes during territorial disputes. Lost toes is often a result of inappropriate humidity levels which can make the shed very tough leathery so it doesn't pull apart easily as they lick or bite it off. The geckos wind up pulling off toes with a tight shed.
I sure do wish they would let some of these back out of Madagascar. I'd love to raise another trio. They are beautiful!

Conclusion

Dear Friends,

Now confirmed, that was an old stock of the supplier.

By the first week of March 2009, he will bring me some new one to choose from.

And thanks for identifying as Phelsuma Serraticauda.

I'll update with some actual pictures once I owned them later.

Back
Top Bottom