I would like to get your opinion on this cage that i built

It was seal prior to painting and yes your right about MDF it turns into mulch with just a bit of water. I dont know the name of this wood, but it dont absorb water like the MDF .(When i get a chance i will get the name )Thanks for the advise Broo!!!

Elielmo

Well, you asked for an opinion. I used to build cages "pretty". Then I realized that "pretty" is often at odds with "practical". With your cage, as noted, your huge problem is going to be water. If the water does not effectively drain from everywhere, you will create bacteria cesspools. This could be nothing more than what happens in a water dish under a plant. Takes 3-4 days, but once its there, any loose bug will uptake large amounts of bacteria and become as a "poison pill" to your chameleon, giving it an upper esophageal infection, with excessive mucous build-up, and requiring antibiotics.

Then there is the possibility of damage to the wood over time. That will not harm your animal though.

You mention a "mist system". Mist systems as waterers are only good to the extent to which they create drinking opportunities ..... aka adequate drops or water flow across a surface so the the chamleon gets enough to drink. Sounds elementary, but when broken down, misters are far less effective in delivering drink opportunities than a basic dripper. They also require much more water to be used to create the same amount of drink opportunity as a dripper. One dripper, in one spot over a plant, is far a more easily managed water flow than a mister.

You may already be aware of all of the above, but there are always new readers here. For those considering building, buying, etc. it is our firm advice that the first stage of design is drainage. All else builds up from that. Otherwise, you end up retro-fitting and compromising, and it becomes "solve one problem .. create two more". And whenever possible, aluminum and plastic are your friends. :D Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks !!!

Your opinion is welcome !!! I have to say that your right on everything you said Im stock,, trying to figure a proper draining system I know for a fact that I will be able to handle it but before i do do that I will problably run into some complications .. The wood has been treated so im not woory about any type of damage to the material . My main concern is the draining system i dont want any wet areas with this indoor cage. ( I also have a driping system to make it easier on the Cham) I dont even have a cham yet!!! aint that crazy? LOLO!!!!

Thanks for your advise !!!

... when broken down, misters are far less effective in delivering drink opportunities than a basic dripper. They also require much more water to be used to create the same amount of drink opportunity as a dripper. One dripper, in one spot over a plant, is far a more easily managed water flow than a mister.

Totally agree on this point. I too have wood based cages (ugly in comparison, but still) and having a dripper means I can easily control where the vast majority of water goes. I have no need for an elaborate drainage system. I just put a little plastic pan under where the water drips, then empty the pan

No not crazy very smart, u want ur cage up and running with correct temps, lights timers, drainage etc, before getting the cham that way when u bring home a very stressed cham he can go right into his new home and won't be disturbed with husbandry tweeking!! Excellent move in my opinon!! I think it is VERY pretty, looks alot like some of those 3,000.00 dollar cages from designer places!!

Nice viv. it looks like every has discussed the water issues. Have you considered lining the inside of the viv with acylic or plexi to create a waterproof barrier. you would need silicone caulk (aquarium type) to waterproof.

dunno would that work for you....?

OPI

Thanks !!!

Nice viv. it looks like every has discussed the water issues. Have you considered lining the inside of the viv with acylic or plexi to create a waterproof barrier. you would need silicone caulk (aquarium type) to waterproof.

dunno would that work for you....?

OPI

I was actually thinking about plexy , so far i belive that is my #1 option .. I was thinking to place it on the floor of the cage at an angle to make the water drain from the back of the cage

your cage

Hi
Nice cage, you might try putting a glass bottom in that box you can put a drain in the glass and silicone the corners , I have the Mr mister system and it works real well on a number of cages, just a note Oak swells up alot more than some of the jungle hardwoods , Ive been thru the oak I like purple heart it has enough oil in it to resist the wet rot you get with Oak, what finish will you use to seal it that will hold up to your misting. Im a contractor too.. sorry LOL
Bruce

Your advise is always Welcom!!

Hi
Nice cage, you might try putting a glass bottom in that box you can put a drain in the glass and silicone the corners , I have the Mr mister system and it works real well on a number of cages, just a note Oak swells up alot more than some of the jungle hardwoods , Ive been thru the oak I like purple heart it has enough oil in it to resist the wet rot you get with Oak, what finish will you use to seal it that will hold up to your misting. Im a contractor too.. sorry LOL
Bruce

We used a special sealant for the wood before applying a water base paint (we selected water based for the fact that i did not want any harmfull chemicals for the cham) but is defently seal we tested the panels underwater for like 20m no water was absorb ... Thanks for your advise !!!

Back
Top Bottom