I want your opinion

turtle

I want to get your opinion. When i bought a cham i thought it would be really cool and that i could hold it all the time and make it a super cool pet but know when im talking to people on here im starting to get second thoughts about it. Should i have a chameleon although i want to hold him play with him? Is a cham good for me? please......im really starting to get confused

I think you purchased the wrong pet. Chameleons are a "looking at" pet rather than a "hold him" pet. Trying to hold him all the time will be very stressful for him and he could even bite you if really stressed.

I hope you didn't purchase one already.

Handling is ok sparingly...I handle mine everyday but not for long maybe 30mins to an hour each...but mine r to the point where when i open the cage they shoot onto my hands...some chams take to being handled better than others....

Handling is ok sparingly...I handle mine everyday but not for long maybe 30mins to an hour each...but mine r to the point where when i open the cage they shoot onto my hands...some chams take to being handled better than others....

30 mins to an hour!!!! I wish i could open my guys cage to feed him with out him hissing! But i know where you are coming from. At a reptile store i saw a panther that LOVED to be held. When you walked up to his cage he would scratch at the door like a dog wanting to go out!

Chameleons are like people, each has his/her own personality. I have also heard that sometimes if you handle a chameleon regularly from a young age they do learn to tolerate it. Remember the keyword there tolerate

Handling is ok sparingly...I handle mine everyday but not for long maybe 30mins to an hour each.

Way way too much, in my opinion.
Once every month or two, to check them over closely is all I do.
Any more than that is putting unnecessary stress on an animal that should never be considered a pet.

Turtle,

Not sure where you got the initial idea that chameleons would satisfy those desires, but it doesn't seem like you have made the right choice.

-Brad

I want to get your opinion. When i bought a cham i thought it would be really cool and that i could hold it all the time and make it a super cool pet but know when im talking to people on here im starting to get second thoughts about it. Should i have a chameleon although i want to hold him play with him? Is a cham good for me? please......im really starting to get confused

Unfortunately, you have NOT purchased a reptile that you should be holding. It may be best both for you and the chameleon for you to find a new home for your chameleon, with someone who understands their needs and limitations, and consider a different pet for yourself. Things that like to interact with humans include: dogs, most cats, some birds, sometime bearded dragons, some rodents.

Definitely not the right choice of pet if you want something you can hold a lot. And you even said you wanted to play with your cham. Chameleons are definitely not a pet you can play with. Some may tolerate being handled, but they do not want to play with you and you will severely stress them out if you do

ya see this is how i really want mine to be like. I just dont know what to do to get him to do that.

i never handle all my chameleons.
all with the exception of 1 learn to trust me.
Daily exposures of me bringing them food and drink are enough to make them associate me as positive events.

I think if you want pets that are touchy feely, you should go with dogs and birds.
Reptile is not exactly a good choice in general.. especially a chameleon.

I think that Rickky should re-evaluate his handling of his cham.

ya see this is how i really want mine to be like. I just dont know what to do to get him to do that.

PLease stop handling your cham.
Put it high up in it's cage and leave it alone or it will die. K thnx.

I've been trying to teach mine to sit for the better part of a year to no avail.
Not helpful.

Turtle,
You have been told by more than one person, with decent reputation, on a chameleon specific site that holding and playing with your chameleon is not an option.
Yet ... you cherry pick the one comment that suggests some highly questionable husbandry to strive toward because it is closest to what you want.
Do you want good advice?
What species is your chameleon?

-Brad

I handle my chameleons everyday, with the exception of my meller since they do get stressed out in a matter of minutes. My chams like to hang out on my lap top while I'm researching more info about them. They love it! There very calm and just sit there never try to run away. :)

Also..we have a hanging plant in our living room, they like to hang out on, gives them a chance to get some fresh air out of there cage. They turn light green colors..! They Love it! :)

I handle my chameleons everyday, with the exception of my meller since they do get stressed out in a matter of minutes. My chams like to hang out on my lap top while I'm researching more info about them. They love it! There very calm and just sit there never try to run away. :)

Well, the original poster did ask for "opinions"

-Brad

I was under the misconception when i bought Gizzy that i would be able to handle her frequently, but after some good advice from the members on this forum and seeing how it upset her, i realised that a chameleon is just not for handling at all. However, sitting and watching these funny little critters is rewarding in itself - we have many a happy hour just observing the funny things she does :)

Its your life. Live, learn!

I was under the misconception when i bought Gizzy that i would be able to handle her frequently, but after some good advice from the members on this forum and seeing how it upset her, i realised that a chameleon is just not for handling at all. However, sitting and watching these funny little critters is rewarding in itself - we have many a happy hour just observing the funny things she does

There you go, Sallys cham didnt drop dead, she learnt and still enjoys it!

Back
Top Bottom