I want to take them out in the sun, but...

That's horrible, but I laughed a little too. Poooooor mouse, and poor kid.

That's why if you can, it's safer to get them a cage. I'm using an old ferret cage because the bars let in more natural light than thin mesh. But if you can get a simple screen cage from LLLReptile or something, you will have the peace of mind to let them be out in the sun knowing that they're not going to be picked off by a predator, or run off.

and its not just raptors

You also have to protect from feral cats and foxes (at least I do in San Francisco). I put the mesh cage inside a metal birdcage. Don't forget to provide shade.

We had our little girl outside today on a ficus and it was clear that she was terrified of the birds flying around (there's a crapload of bird feeders in the backyard). After she snatched up a fly we decided to bring the cage outside. It's definitely best to keep them in a cage if there are other animals around, but she kept trying to eat flies from inside her cage, poor girl! lol.. she was happy after we brought out some crix for her to snatch up.

Well...I watched that video without sound, but it looked to me like the kid knew the mouse was going to get snatched...he had a very hesitant quality about him...the way you do when you know that the stove is going to light when the match gets close enough (wow...wasn't that a reference for the older posters) or when you're waiting for the eye doctor to blow air on your eye to determine internal eye pressure (again...probably an over 30 thing).

I think that was completely staged....

Not that you don't have to be aware when your chameleon is outside. You should be there.

I remember coming home to find my neighbor's canary sitting in her cage in the front lawn with a hawk sitting on the cage looking at her....

YIKES!!!!

My view is if the humans who made them captives are not there to ensure their safety, they should not be left vulnerable.

So, let him have an outdoor experience, but be there. If you have aggressive birds in your neighborhood, carry a broom to whack them.

Long ago, I had to stand guard over my family dog when she went outside...there was an angry blue jay who would attack her...everyone in my family was tasked with taking a broom and standing over the dog as she did her business...I personally whacked that bird at least 20, 30 times.

The bird always came back, so we obviously never hurt it...but we kept it from hurting the dog, which was the important thing. And, there's absolutely no way your chameleon will need to "go outside" as often as our dauchshund did.

Back
Top Bottom