I want to know what this is

marcuseth

I want to know what this is? its on his jaw.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 206
It's an early sign of a mouth or temporal gland infection. Jacksons are prone to them. You must take him to a vet. The vet should clean out the pus and prescribe an antibiotic. My Jackson recovered with no issues. Best of luck!

Temporal gland infection or abscess

I agree this most likely a temporal gland infection or abscess.
Usually the ones I see are due to an insect leg poking the mouth when the Cham bites down or possibly a defensive bite from the insect.

The poke injects bacteria causing infection/inflammation.
Where reptiles differ from mammals (in relation to infections), is that instead of a thin fluid pus (white blood cells) that attacks bacteria and the ruptures (like a pimple), the reptiles white blood cells form a thick cottage cheese-like barrier around the infection. Good news is the body is trying to defend itself. The bad news is it usually is not going away on its own.

To get rid of the abscess, it needs to be opened and scooped out (by a vet).
Usually this is followed by injectable antibiotics +/- Zylofen (milk enzyme solution from Zymox company- they make ear wash for dogs)

Hope that helps,
Matthew

It's an early sign of a mouth or temporal gland infection. Jacksons are prone to them. You must take him to a vet. The vet should clean out the pus and prescribe an antibiotic. My Jackson recovered with no issues. Best of luck!

Just curious,, why are Jacksons prone to them?
Thanks

Not all chameleons have temporal glads - a gland in the corner of the mouth. It may be used as a scent marking feature, I'm not sure if anyone knows for certain its function. That gland can cause an infection if food gets packed into it or if the mouth us damaged.

Not all chameleons have temporal glads - a gland in the corner of the mouth. It may be used as a scent marking feature, I'm not sure if anyone knows for certain its function. That gland can cause an infection if food gets packed into it or if the mouth us damaged.

Interesting,,, one of the many things about chams I didn't know... What other species have temporal glands?

Back
Top Bottom