I think my Chameleon is sick

melodip

I got my Chameleon in October and they said he was a juvenile. He was thriving and happy until about 2 weeks ago. He started sleeping more and more during the day and eating less and less. The last tow days he has not left his bedding area and he has not eaten any of the superworms or meal worms I have offered him. Today when I came in to check him he was all black, and he was very upset when I picked him up to take pictures, but I am trying to figure out what is wrong with him. If anybody has any ideas, I would love to hear them.

Hi, welcome to the forum! Please fill up the Husbandry form to help us understand what might be wrong.
Please copy and paste the form into your reply and then fill it out with detail. Post pics of the enclosure lights down. This way we can go over everything all at once.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Distance from UVB lighting to Branch?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
--------------
Please Note:
The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
Photos can be very helpful.

I got my Chameleon in October and they said he was a juvenile. He was thriving and happy until about 2 weeks ago. He started sleeping more and more during the day and eating less and less. The last tow days he has not left his bedding area and he has not eaten any of the superworms or meal worms I have offered him. Today when I came in to check him he was all black, and he was very upset when I picked him up to take pictures, but I am trying to figure out what is wrong with him. If anybody has any ideas, I would love to hear them.
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - I have a Panther Chameleon, he was a juvenile when I got him in October. I have had him for 4 1/2 months.
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I handle him about once a week, just so he will be used to it. He really does not like it at all.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I feed him about 8 to 10 crickets a day, and 2 Super worms. 3 meal worms 2 to 3 times a week. Calci worms some days.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
I am using ZooMed's Reptivite with D3, ultrafine super stick formula and I dust his crickets with it each day.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I use automatic misters that go off for 30 seconds every 2 hours during the day. We live in a very dry area with no natural humidity. I have observed him drinking many times from the different plant leaves around his enclosure.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
His fecal looked great up until the last week or so, but I have not been able to find any poops in his cage for a week now. He has not been tested, I trying to decide if I should take him to the vet.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
He has always seemed healthy and moved around his cage and ate really well. He is sleeping all day now and he has not eaten any of the worms I have offered him. I do think he is eating crickets because I do not find any in his cage.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 24*18*36 Glass/Screen combo. Sides and top are screen.
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Distance from UVB lighting to Branch?
I am using the BioDude mixed spectrum LED light. Blue, white, and red. 1650 lumens. A 75 watt full spectrum UVA/UVB basking bulb. His lights are on timers that come one at 7am and go off at 7pm.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
I have a Zoo Med environmental control center. It has 2 temperature sensors. I have one on his basking spot which stays from 77 - 80 degrees. And the other is in his bedding area and it stays about 72 degrees. The bottom of the enclosure is reading 67 with a hand held thermal sensor that I use.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
My Zoo Med has a humidity sensor which is placed in the side of the cage. The humidity stays between 30 and 40 percent depending when the misters go off. The misters go off every 2 hours for 30 seconds.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
I have a Shefflera tree, a small Peperomia obtusifolia, a medium sized Black Raven ZZ plant, and 2 small climbing ivy's. He has the Bio Dude terra firma soil 8 inches deep. Several artificial climbing limbs and pathways.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
His cage is located on top of a table against the wall in a room with lots of natural light. The top is approximately 4 feet from the ceiling. The air vent is on the other side of the room and their is no high traffic in our house. Only me and my husband and he is in my office.
Location - Where are you geographically located?
I am located in Amarillo, Tx. Very cold and dry. We keep our house thermostat on 72 degrees.

I am sending some pictures I took this morning of his mouth and color. He does look normal right now and he just ate a cricket. But I thought I would take pics of his mouth in case it looks odd.

I also sent one of how he looked a month ago. He just doesn't seem himself. I read a blog that a lady said her Chameleons hibernate. I was wondering if he is trying to do this.

Thank you for any advise or help.

Attachments

• Skittles sick 7.jpeg
    Skittles sick 7.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Skittles sick 6.jpeg
    Skittles sick 6.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Skittles sick 3.jpeg
    Skittles sick 3.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Skittles 2-13-22.jpeg
    Skittles 2-13-22.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Skittles cage open 3-27-22.jpeg
    Skittles cage open 3-27-22.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 67
I just read that Shefflera plants are toxic to cats and dogs. Could this be what is wrong? I thought I saw these plants in other enclosures. Maybe it is toxic for him to drink his water off these leaves?

Welcome to the forum,

Sorry to say but he has MBD.
Do you have a UVB light on the cage? I see a tube light but can't tell what it is.
You're supplements are not correct...he should not be getting so much D3....back in a few minutes with more info.

MBD is the result of improper supplements and/or improper lighting. If the supplements and lighting are corrected and the chameleon provided with extra calcium until the bones, etc are strong and healthy again, the chameleon should live a long healthy life...but some of the crooked bones, etc will not be able to be fixed by this treatment.

For UVB light, if you can't provide real sunlight that does not pass through ht plastic or glass, it's recommended that you use either the reptisun 5.0 long linear tube light or an Arcadia 6% long linear tube light. Don't forget to replace the bulbs when recommneded. No lights t night!

The insects should be gut loaded/fed a good diet to keep them healthy for the chameleon. Crickets, superworms, locusts, roaches can be fed dandelion greens, kale, collards, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, squash, etc and a very small amount of berries, melon, Apple, pears, etc. Other insects should have diets poropriate for them.

Recommended supplementation....dust the insects at all feedings but one a week with a phos free calcium powder. On that one feeding a week alternate between a vitamin powder with a preformed source of vitamin A and a phos free calcium powder with D3. All DUSTINGS should be lightly done.

The chameleon will need liquid calcium (you should have a vet prescribe it so that the dose is right) until the bones are strong again. This calcium along with the proper supplements normally given should correct the MBD.

Hope all goes well!

Thank you for the information. I Purchased a liquid vitamin supplement today and will try to get a liquid calcium supplement tomorrow when I can call the vet.

You said..." I am using ZooMed's Reptivite with D3, ultrafine super stick formula and I dust his crickets with it each day"...so are you still going to use this?
What is in the liquid vitamin you got? Can you take a photo of the ingredients?
What's your supplement schedule going to be now?
The liquid calcium has to have NO phosphorous, NO vitamin Dd3 and No preformed vitamin A in it.

The liquid vitamin has no calcium in it so it will not do me any good. I cannot find any calcium supplement at any of the local pet stores. I called every vet in town this morning and none of them can see him. My only option is to go on Amazon and try to find a liquid calcium. Do you have any suggestions. I will send a picture of this vitamin supplement, but he wont eat anything this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_1066.jpg
    IMG_1066.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1069.jpg
    IMG_1069.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 36
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I am using ZooMed's Reptivite with D3, ultrafine super stick formula and I dust his crickets with it each day.
You are over supplementing him with fat soluble vitamins such as D3 and Vitamin A. The reptivite with D3 you are using should ONLY be used two times a month say the 1st and the 15th. Then at all other feedings you would use a plain phos free calcium WITHOUT D3. This shuts down their system because these store in their tissues and take weeks to reduce in the body. Also contributes to MBD because the overdose of D3 pulls the calcium out of the bones.
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Distance from UVB lighting to Branch? I am using the BioDude mixed spectrum LED light. Blue, white, and red. 1650 lumens. A 75 watt full spectrum UVA/UVB basking bulb. His lights are on timers that come one at 7am and go off at 7pm.
The Dual UVB basking bulbs are dangerous for chameleons. They should not be used. You want a T5HO linear fixture with a 5.0 UVB bulb and then the basking branch should be 8-9 inches below the screen where the fixture sits on top of the screen. Not having the correct UVB also shuts down their system along with causing the body to develop MBD.
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 24*18*36 Glass/Screen combo. Sides and top are screen.
This is going to be too small for an adult male panther.
The liquid vitamin has no calcium in it so it will not do me any good. I cannot find any calcium supplement at any of the local pet stores. I called every vet in town this morning and none of them can see him. My only option is to go on Amazon and try to find a liquid calcium. Do you have any suggestions. I will send a picture of this vitamin supplement, but he wont eat anything this morning.
DO NOT use this. It is more of the same that you are using. It is full of fat soluble vitamins. Which he is already overdosed on. These store in the tissues and take weeks to get out of their system.

You need a reptile vet. You need liquid regular calcium without D3 that they prescribe. He needs to be treated for MBD before he can not even walk from being disfigured. The bones will not go back to normal but with treatment from a vet it will stop the progression of the MBD.

Incorrect UVB and supplementation caused this. Both should be corrected immediately along with seeing a reptile vet. Here is a link that will help you locate one near you. https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

I do not advice just correcting the issues and not seeing a knowledgeable vet. He will need more then just the corrections to stop the MBD.

This blog is on D3 overdose. It will explain it better than I can. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/d3-poisoning.2401/

There are different things with the enclosure that should also be corrected. The vines you are using are not suitable for chams. Not only do they hold bacteria and can not be cleaned but if the cham decides to chew on them they can suffer an impaction from the moss.
Start reading every module in this husbandry program. It will teach you what and how to provide for the chameleon. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Back
Top Bottom