I think my chameleon is dying

Omi

Basically Helix is lying on the ground at night, but he’s active in the day, around 8 am imma call a vet and get a time. He does eat but he’s weak and his head shakes when he’s trying to throw out his tongue

Can you share some pictures?
and give the forum some info too. Thanks!
Also, kinda late so few will respond tonight. (y)
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hi. I looked up your previous posts and husbandry. Did you make the changes suggested? I’m most curious about which supplements you are using and how often you are using each one. Also important is what type of uvb are you using.

I don’t know why he’s doing this? He has a pretty strong grip so idk why he’s lying in the ground (I picked him up after this photo)

Attachments

• 2E3043F5-E40E-458F-A101-4FB0913BB9A5.png
    2E3043F5-E40E-458F-A101-4FB0913BB9A5.png
    628.9 KB · Views: 44
I don’t know why he’s doing this? He has a pretty strong grip so idk why he’s lying in the ground (I picked him up after this photo)
Can you post a pic of your entire enclosure, including the lights? Also still need to know what your supplements are and how often you are using each one.

It is absolutely not normal for a chameleon to be laying on it’s back on the bottom of the enclosure. If you want us to try and help, you need to provide more information. Either way, your chameleon will most likely need a good vet and the sooner the better.

Can you share some pictures?
and give the forum some info too. Thanks!
Also, kinda late so few will respond tonight. (y)
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male veiled chameleon , 1,5 years had him for 1 year
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? A few times a day But its to take him outside or clean the habitat. Since I’m just 17 I still live with my parents so every 2-3 weeks we move him. When I get money for the new habitat I won’t be moving him.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Roaches, crickets, strawberries (small amount) 2-3 every second day. I give the insects strawberries, apples, cucumber but mostly carrot.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I’ll get photos, I dust the insects without D3 mostly, then with D3 2 times every 2 weeks, vitamins 1 time a month. If this is wrong please tell how the schedule really works.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Plastic syringe cause the only time he’s drinking is with the waterfall but it’s apparently bad so I stopped with that, 1-2 minutes and I must when it gets dry in the terrarium
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Sometimes white sometimes yellow ish, when it comes out it’s not watery but not solid, it’s both in a way.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. We have had him to the vet once but it was nothing serious. I do believe he had a stroke or something..

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? I have combo, 1 screen at the back and rest glass
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Photos, I have him wake up at 6:30 am and then it turn off 8:30 pm.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 80F.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I am going to buy one of those.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Golden pothos.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It’s beside my dresser, no window, no vent no traffic. It is below my nose. But we’re going to buy a new one once we get money for it
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Sweden

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. He is laying on his side, can’t walk normally, he has a strong grip but still fall off the branches. Sometimes he sleeps on the ground by the dirt which concerns me. His head vibrates/shaking when he’s throwing out his tongue.
--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
The vitamin (the black one) is a new one I’m using, I don’t know where I put the other one.

Attachments

• C83F6A68-21E5-4C70-8037-DA43B4E00B85.jpeg
    C83F6A68-21E5-4C70-8037-DA43B4E00B85.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 5B6739B5-4C77-44A1-BFF0-5D4F62824B82.jpeg
    5B6739B5-4C77-44A1-BFF0-5D4F62824B82.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 2FF9A182-D5A6-499F-8290-1ADE36568ACB.jpeg
    2FF9A182-D5A6-499F-8290-1ADE36568ACB.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 35
  • D6CDCD3D-B796-4C2E-9D50-6322B50B4ED1.jpeg
    D6CDCD3D-B796-4C2E-9D50-6322B50B4ED1.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 38
I really have no idea what is going on with him. It sounds like a neurologic problem. @kinyonga do you have any experience or insight?
I do see some things in your husbandry that need to be changed, but if they are your guy’s problem, I really don’t know. Maybe it’s a combination of things…I’m not a vet so I can’t say. I’ll go over your husbandry and help you get everything as correct as possible, but you should make a veterinarian appointment.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male veiled chameleon , 1,5 years had him for 1 year
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? A few times a day But its to take him outside or clean the habitat. Since I’m just 17 I still live with my parents so every 2-3 weeks we move him. When I get money for the new habitat I won’t be moving him.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Roaches, crickets, strawberries (small amount) 2-3 every second day. I give the insects strawberries, apples, cucumber but mostly carrot. Are you washing the fruit and veggies or are they organic? Definitely want to stop giving anything other than insects to your guy. Giving your feeders a wider variety will keep them healthier and able to pass on more nutrition to your cham.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I’ll get photos, I dust the insects without D3 mostly, then with D3 2 times every 2 weeks, vitamins 1 time a month. If this is wrong please tell how the schedule really works.You should be dusting lightly at every feeding (except one per week) with the calcium without D3. The calcium with D3 you’ll use one feeding every other week and same for the multivitamin. You’ll alternate the multivitamin with the D3, so that they aren’t given together. I have no idea about the Komodo multivitamin, but it doesn’t to be good for your guy. Are you able to get ReptiVite or any Repashy products?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Plastic syringe cause the only time he’s drinking is with the waterfall but it’s apparently bad so I stopped with that, 1-2 minutes and I must when it gets dry in the terrarium Many chameleons are very secretive about drinking. I have 5 of them and never see any of them drink. You should not have to use a syringe to give him water. Look at his urates…if they are white or have a little yellow at one end, he is hydrated. Waterfalls are no good for chams, so I’m glad you took it out. You could try a dripper if you feel he isn’t getting enough water. It can be something as simple as a plastic cup with a pinhole in the bottom and put some ice cubes in. You do want your enclosure to dry out in between misting. You should mist for at least 2 minutes right before lights go on and off. You can add another misting mid day or use the dripper for about 15-20 minutes.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Sometimes white sometimes yellow ish, when it comes out it’s not watery but not solid, it’s both in a way. You should definitely get him tested for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. We have had him to the vet once but it was nothing serious. I do believe he had a stroke or something..
To be continued…
50A56DE9-2891-4C34-BA5A-8B4708E303A9.jpeg
4C981935-A11A-4BB6-B20B-4978EA7B5A26.jpeg

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? I have combo, 1 screen at the back and rest glass It’s hard to tell how big it is from your pic, but he does need a larger one. The minimum size is 2x2x4’ or 60x60x120 cm.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Photos, I have him wake up at 6:30 am and then it turn off 8:30 pm. If you could change it to a 12 hour schedule, that would be better. I don’t see a proper uvb light. It’s very important to get a T5HO with either ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb. Without a solarmeter 6.5 you’ve got no way to determine how much uvb he’s getting from your mercury vapor light. With the correct T5 uvb, you’ll want basking area to be 8-9” or 20-22 cm below the light.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 80F. Perfect for basking. A temp drop at night is best.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I am going to buy one of those. It’s very important to monitor humidity, especially with a glass enclosure. Ideal range is between 30-50% during the day. High humidity + basking temps can cause respiratory infection. Combined with limited ventilation of a glass enclosure really increases the risk.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Golden pothos. Perfect, but you need to add more live plants and remove the artificial. It only takes one bite of a fake plant to become impacted. Did you wash the plant or repot it before putting it in?
    You need to add branches and vines for your guy to travel on. It’s hard to attach anything to glass, but you can put in some garden trellis or something like that to attach branches to. He really has nothing to walk along. Attaching a pic of one of my enclosure to give you an idea. Not having any travel areas is a source of chronic stress for your guy.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It’s beside my dresser, no window, no vent no traffic. It is below my nose. But we’re going to buy a new one once we get money for it Chams like and feel safest when they are above us.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Sweden

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. He is laying on his side, can’t walk normally, he has a strong grip but still fall off the branches. Sometimes he sleeps on the ground by the dirt which concerns me. His head vibrates/shaking when he’s throwing out his tongue.
As I said, it sounds like a neurological problem. What could be causing it, I can only guess. Often incorrect supplementation can cause neurologic issues. If the veggies or fruits have any pesticides on them, that could cause problems. Same for live plants, plus fertilizer. What are you cleaning his enclosure with? Any possible substances around that could be toxic to him? I’m hoping @kinyonga will have some idea of what may be going on.
5F4CBC35-A652-4B49-8021-56DEA80996F0.jpeg

I see your new vit (black container) is for amphibians. It is a fact that amphibians and reptiles have different ways of absorbing vits and minerals.

If you just got the new stuff and noticed the issues, I would say that is the problem. Timming of his decline or odd behavior is very important.

I would agree with the above and think there has been some kind of overdose or neurological issue. The vet can run a blood test if asked, but we don't know what you're able to do. JMO- I would get the test done and know if it were supplement issues or chameleon issues. JMHO so it would not happen again.

Just adding this: The fruit contains lots of sugars which can cause issues too-- so vits, calcium, sugars can be an issue but only tests can determine what is going on, everything else would be guesses. (y)

Is he still eating normal or has his eating declined also? Your last picture looks pretty good, just odd colors but that can be due to handling (they can be moody). (y)

As mentioned before--- To much calcium can become toxic and there are many different ways this can affect your chameleon.

Back
Top Bottom