I think I've found my first cham. What do you guys think?

Quantum Mark

After a lot of hunting around the web for breeders I've found someone with some baby panthers for sale. They will be 2 months old when I pick one up in two weeks which should give me enough time to get the enclosure set up and monitored to make sure all is good.

I wondered what you guys thought of the parents and if it's possible to tell if the babies will come out as colourful? The female looks very pale in the photo which apparently is because she is giving him the come on?

I'm looking to get a male and the breeder has assured me that in about two weeks time he'll be able to sex them easily.

Opinions appreciated :)

Attachments

• Untitled(2).jpg
    Untitled(2).jpg
    39 KB · Views: 149
  • Untitled(3).jpg
    Untitled(3).jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 137
  • Untitled(4).jpg
    Untitled(4).jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 146
Two month old panthers are very sensitive most breeders wont sell them until 3 to 4 months old. Unless your experienced with hatchling panthers.

I have to agree with Dean here. The 3 month mark is about average for most reputable breeders.

I recieved a 2-2.5mo Ambilobe one time and she wound up spending the next month in a tub, before she was large enough for her enclosure.

At that age they require more time and care, along with consistant monitoring of temperatures.

I would ask that he keep the chameleon for an additional month, or simply select a new breeder. Our site sponsors are more then willing to set you up with a healthy baby.

-Jay

Last edited:
Well you ask for opinions so here goes, can you get a panther at that age and have it live? Yes but the chances are lots better if is older. The dad looks good, I have never had a female get light like that when recptive. I don't know that it is a problem just that none of mine have. I would question the breeder to see if this is his/her first clutch, as someone wanting to sell them that young either doesn't know any better or doesn't care. If they don't care you might not get a baby who has had the best care. Good luck with what ever you decide and stay part of this forum, you learn lots here.

I did look through your sponsor list, Malicious but they're US or Canada and I'm in the rainy UK. It's tough to even get aluminum mesh enclosures over here let alone a cham the right age and type you're looking for! >_<

I work Monday to Friday 10am to 6pm and am willing to put in as much monitoring time as necessary for the little guy to be a healthy, satisfied cham. But, if you think it will be too hard for a newbie then I'm happy to take on your advice.

More opinions welcome :)

the adult looks like a nice male sambava. as for the age, id hope they'd choose to sell the baby in another month, 1 month can make quiet the difference in size. if its a good healthy baby and you pay attention to the food intake and water, i am sure you'll be OK.

i agree with the above,
i will be hatching out some nosy be & nosy mitsio babies later on in the year and i wont be letting them go before they are 3 months old,this is because i will know they are healthy babies when they go.

graeme

2 month olds are a bit of a challenge but to watch them develop from that age is rewarding. My sambava was 2 months old when I got him....named him tiny for obvious reasons and he now almost outweights my oldest male
at 156gs.

Jusy be sure and the proper size cage and feeders.

2 month olds are a bit of a challenge but to watch them develop from that age is rewarding. My sambava was 2 months old when I got him....named him tiny for obvious reasons and he now almost outweights my oldest male
at 156gs.

Jusy be sure and the proper size cage and feeders.

If I decide to go with this breeder then I have access to micro-sized crickets from here and am looking at a smaller enclosure from here.

Where you experienced with chams when you got your Sambava, Greg?

You said you work monday thru fri 10am-6pm is a busy schedule!!! No way can you take care of this baby alone. You have to be there to mist him/her 3-4 times a day.. feeding him/her daily.. and keeping the enclosure clean..

You said you work monday thru fri 10am-6pm is a busy schedule!!! No way can you take care of this baby alone. You have to be there to mist him/her 3-4 times a day.. feeding him/her daily.. and keeping the enclosure clean..

I've ordered an automatic mister. Does that solve that problem? Or is it an issue that they may get sprayed directly by it which I've read stresses baby chams?

An automated misting system like the MistKing will be perfect for the time your away.

I work 10-6pm, 5 days a week, and it was a great investment.

-Jay

Sucha a small baby is a very big task. Like others have said you have to make sure you have a constant supply of food that is small enough and the correct amount of water.

As for it being so young. I had to sell 2 babies at a very young age as well because I wasnt planning for them to hatch when they did and I couldnt provide them witht he correct care that they needed. So I dotn think It is out of the person selling them just not caring there could very well be underlying factors.

I would have loved to keep my babies till they where older but I was working 3 12 hour shifts on weekends and going to school everyday and I was afraid the babies would just end up dying in my care. I made the people very aware of what need to take care of a baby.:eek:

If I decide to go with this breeder then I have access to micro-sized crickets from here and am looking at a smaller enclosure from here.

Where you experienced with chams when you got your Sambava, Greg?

I had raised 3 from the 3 month old stage...before I got my 2 month old. There is a huge difference in just 1 month.

Your in the right spot for sure this forum may as well be the chameleon bible.

The breeder lives very close to me so I'm going to see him next weekend and see/have a chat about the chams. From all the above advice it looks like I may have to wait another month before picking the little tyke up.

Thanks a lot for the opinions :)

My first cham (Lily) I got when she was 6 months old. She was already tame and a good hand feeder. I got Amy when she was between 12 and 14 weeks old. There is a huge difference, and I now know that a baby is more of a worry than an older cham. That was partly why I chose to get Lily over a baby as my first.

Amy was so small even at 3 months, and at that age they run like the clappers! Plus they are so light and you can't feel them when you have them on your hand! It takes so much time and patience for them to even begin to take food from you - when I first got Amy, as soon as I opened her cage she would run away from me! I think I would have found her quite overwhelming if I had got her as my first! That's just me and my thoughts, though! They are well worth the time and effort and I have never once regretted getting a chameleon!

I got three 2-3 month old nosy mitsios in a 2x2x4 cage. I feed them small crickets n they all seem to eat just fine. I mist them about 5 times a day. I deffiantly watch them alot cause there so small. They seem to do good together except the biggest one even at that young is king of the cage. Funny seeing a 2 month old puff up. Soon as my chick gets room at her house for her faly that's in my other cage another 2x2x4 i'll put him in it.

Back
Top Bottom