I think it might be time for Groot to rest in peace.

Beelinn

Established Member
I'm sure there's a million of these posts, I'm sorry. My Panther Cham Groot is 5 years old now, and he's feeling his age. My plan was to just let him die peacefully on his tree, and not have his final moments be stressful in a vet's office with a needle, but I don't know if I'm doing the right thing anymore.

1. Both eyes stay closed and sunken. I do get him to drink, but it's hard. Interest in eating is gone.
2. Normally resting at shades of green, he's turned a bright orange now. Although it's beautiful, this is a stress color.
3. His grasp is weak, and he fell from his tree yesterday.

There's no doubt about it, he is dying. But now I'm actually faced with the possibility that a vet visit may be the more peaceful option. Thoughts? It's not an issue of a euthanasia fee, he's just been such a nice little critter to have around, I want to do right by him, you know?

Decisions like this are never easy. Only you can determine what is the right choice for you and Groot. I always do get feedback from my vet before making such a decision, so that may be where you should start. I wish you peace of mind and strength of heart in whatever choice is best for you and Groot.

Sorry to hear about his condition but it sounds like you gave him a good long life. If he is already showing bright "sleep" colors I would just sit him somewhere comfortable, where he won't fall and let it run it's course. If you find he is hanging on for days or weeks you may have to take to vet.

I know it's a difficult time and decision, and I want to say that I actually really appreciate your post because you clearly care so much for Groot and want the best for him. That is always welcome here. It sounds like it might be time. Wishing you strength and him peace.

My plan was to just let him die peacefully on his tree, and not have his final moments be stressful in a vet's office with a needle

Sorry for your situation and I can empathize. Have had to let a number of pets go over the years (ferrets and dogs) and its never easy.

In the aquarium hobby we have a way to euthanize fish painlessly and over a few hours.
Is there no such option for reptiles?
I do have a thought which would be quite humane (peaceful and in its own habitat), though I'm a bit guarded on sharing it.

I'm hoping things go as well and smoothy as possible for you both.

In the aquarium hobby we have a way to euthanize fish painlessly and over a few hours.
Is there no such option for reptiles?
I do have a thought which would be quite humane (peaceful and in its own habitat), though I'm a bit guarded on sharing it.
I'd be interested to know your thoughts for sure. He's still hanging on. Although, he vomited up some horrible smelling greenish liquid today, I'm guessing it's bile. I talked to a couple of vet's offices, they all said the same thing, which was just keep him comfortable and leave him be.

Hoping I don’t get slammed and kicked out for this.

First, fish that are passing are oft eaten alive by other tank animals. A humane way to treat them is to isolate them in a smaller tank or container and move it to a dark setting for a couple hours for the fish to relax.
Every 30 minutes or so a drop of clove oil is added to the water which acts as an analgesic and euthanizing agent. It slowly and peacefully euthanizes the fish. Over a few hours it ‘sleeps’ then passes.

With this process in mind, and hopefully this is a conversation starter, as it is speculation…

Many industrial companies sell carbon monoxide canisters.
Would it be reasonable to move his cage to an outdoor area, enclose the sides in plastic, and run a slow line into the enclosure?
Im guessing he would pass comfortably in his home in his favorite spot with no vet stress.

Its just a thought as I know that many say a humane way to get rid of voles and moles is to run a hose from your car and place it in one of their holes.
Keep in mind though monoxide effects mammals, I have no idea if it works in a similar process with reptiles.

Sorry if shocked or offended. No disrespect or vile intentions. Just sharing a thought on a possible process to discuss.

Last edited:
Sounds better than the current options for euthanasia imo... Not sure if it would work without a full airtight chamber.

Back
Top Bottom