I think I have it set up.

Cordawayconstruction

Established Member
How's this guys.

Yellow up top is automatic misting controller. Red is basking spot temp. Purple is ambient temperature and hygrometer. Mid yellow circle is custom made misting reservoir. Green circle is cool mist fogger. Lower yellow is misting system pump and zip drip valve.

Live plants:
Zebra plant
Schefflera
Bromeliad

I rotate a calathea with the zebra plant as the calathea can only handle the super high humidity for so long.

Basking spot is dead on 86.
Put a undertank heater on the bottom that put my temp in the money zone of 76. I have humidity holding at 75 but it hits 100 when it mists.
Misting schedule:
7am for 30 seconds
8am for 45 seconds
9am for 20 seconds
10am for 20
11am for 20
12am for 45

2pm for 30
4pm for 45
6pm for 20
7pm for 17

Lights on at 645 lights out at 730.

We free range gutnloaded crickets and hand feed superworms with the occasional meal and wax work. Horn worms enroute from Josh's frogs and gonna try Dubai's.

Any pointers? This is my first chameleon and just want to make sure I'm dialed in.

Attachments

• 20180211_140800.jpg
    20180211_140800.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 20180211_164253.jpg
    20180211_164253.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 140
Which species are you keeping? I’d dial back the frequency of your mistings, but increase the durations. I mist for 3 minutes per session at minimum. Gives my animals a chance to clean up and also gives enough time to stimulate drinking. What are your ambient temps? I don’t use under tank heaters (UTH) for my chams. How do you handle drainage with a UTH?

I second the comment above on the misting schedule changes! Typically chameleons need at least 2 minutes of misting/dripping water to stimulate them to drink. They especially like to drink in the mornings, so I always make sure to start the day with a long session

Which species are you keeping? I’d dial back the frequency of your mistings, but increase the durations. I mist for 3 minutes per session at minimum. Gives my animals a chance to clean up and also gives enough time to stimulate drinking. What are your ambient temps? I don’t use under tank heaters (UTH) for my chams. How do you handle drainage with a UTH?

I have a yellow crested Jackson's. My ambient temperature areid 75s through most of the cage with a drop to the low 70s at the bottom. His basking spot is 86.
The uth doesn't cover the whole bottom. I'm using a reptibreeze all screen cage so have the uth stuck to the bottom of that plastic panel .im gonna take it off and stick it inside under the carpet tho cause the thing isn't doing as much as I was hoping. I routed out a space in an old end table so there's aa ledg and I made fall to one of the corners. When everything drips down it falls to the bottom, the plants drink, the excess goes to that corner and falls in a waiting drainage pan I have for it.

I second the comment above on the misting schedule changes! Typically chameleons need at least 2 minutes of misting/dripping water to stimulate them to drink. They especially like to drink in the mornings, so I always make sure to start the day with a long session

The misting system always seems to startle him at first, albeit is a new system and has only been in his enclosure for 4 days now.his lights go on at 7, how long should I wait before the first misting session kicks in?

Last edited:
The changes I've made on the misting schedule are as follows:

7am: 3 minutes
9am: 30 seconds ( for humidity)
12pm: 3 minutes
3pm: 3 minutes
6pm: 3 minutes
2am: 30 seconds (humidity boost)

Thank you guys for yhebadviet, keep it coming! How is this schedule looking? He is a Jackson's chameleon, about 6 months old.

Looks like an improvement to me! I have my first misting set to begin 15 minutes after lights on, by which time my cham has reliably climbed over to his basking light. It used to startle him when I first got my MistKing, but he seems to have gotten used to it. It also may interest you to know the the Chameleon Breeder Podcast just release an episode all about jackson's (I believe it's your species, too) and they discuss the importance of humidity and accessible water early in the morning :) If nothing else, it's a really interesting listen

I have a yellow crested Jackson's. My ambient temperature areid 75s through most of the cage with a drop to the low 70s at the bottom. His basking spot is 86.
The uth doesn't cover the whole bottom. I'm using a reptibreeze all screen cage so have the uth stuck to the bottom of that plastic panel .im gonna take it off and stick it inside under the carpet tho cause the thing isn't doing as much as I was hoping. I routed out a space in an old end table so there's aa ledg and I made fall to one of the corners. When everything drips down it falls to the bottom, the plants drink, the excess goes to that corner and falls in a waiting drainage pan I have for it.
Ditch the carpet and the UTH. 63 is fine for nighttime temps. My reptile room gets into the 50s every once in a while. The carpet will just harbor bacteria and complicate drainage.

Back
Top Bottom