I really want a chameleon, but I don't know where to start

Marcel1998

Hola! I've recently discovered my love for chameleons and I was actually thinking about getting one to take care of. To be honest though I'm a total noob when it comes to taking care of reptiles, but my dad however is not. (He said he'd be willing to help with a few things such as the cage :D) So I'm doing my research on this forum but I was wondering if you guys could recommend some websites that will educate me a lot more on chameleons. Like I said, I'm pretty new to taking care of reptiles just in general and I'm starting to really like chameleons. Any books, websites, etc you guys could recommend? Any help is much appreciated! :D

Well hi.. and this would be one of the only websites i would trust. do some searches up at the top. search for anything water, lighting cages how to build cages. plants safe plants. enclosure sizes diff breeds and anything else you would like to know. but the biggest thing would be to just ask.

Welcome! :)
You are in the right place to start learning. This forum has some very knowledgeable people that are more than willing to teach you what you need to know. There are many really great blogs that I am sure others will post. Just take your time and read and read and read on this forum as you will learn the best and most updated info out there for Chameleons.

So you have not purchased a chameleon yet have you? What part of the country are u in?
I have not purchased a chameleon yet, I wanted to do a bit of research on them before I even though about buying one, and I live in Texas.

How many actual breeds of chameleon are there? The only ones I am aware of right now are the Jackson's, Panthers, and Veiled (there a plural version of veiled? lol)

Welcome to the world of chameleons!

Here's some information I hope will help you with supplementing, etc.....
Appropriate cage temperatures aid in digestion and thus play a part indirectly in nutrient absorption.

Exposure to UVB from either direct sunlight or a proper UVB light allows the chameleon to produce D3 so that it can use the calcium in its system to make/keep the bones strong and be used in other systems in the chameleon as well. The UVB should not pass through glass or plastic no matter whether its from the sun or the UVB light. The most often recommended UVB light is the long linear fluorescent Repti-sun 5.0 tube light. Some of the compacts, spirals and tube lights have caused health issues, but so far there have been no bad reports against this one.

A wide variety of insects that have been well fed and gutloaded should be fed to it.

Since many of the feeder insects we use in captivity have a poor ratio of calcium to phosphorus in them, its important to dust the insects just before you feed them to the chameleon at most feedings with a phos.-free calcium powder to help make up for it. (I use Rep-cal phosphorus-free calcium).

If you also dust twice a month with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder it will ensure that your chameleon gets some D3 without overdoing it. It leaves the chameleon to produce the rest of what it needs through its exposure to the UVB light. D3 from supplements can build up in the system but D3 produced from exposure to UVB shouldn't as long as the chameleon can move in and out of it. (I use Rep-cal phos.-free calcium/D3).

Dusting twice a month as well with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A will ensure that the chameleon gets some vitamins without the danger of overdosing the vitamin A. PrEformed sources of vitamin A can build up in the system and may prevent the D3 from doing its job and push the chameleon towards MBD. However, there is controversy as to whether all/any chameleons can convert the beta carotene and so some people give some prEformed vitamin A once in a while. (I use herptivite which has beta carotene.)

Gutloading/feeding the insects well helps to provide what the chameleon needs. I gutload crickets, roaches, locusts, superworms, etc. with an assortment of greens (dandelions, kale, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, zucchini, etc.)

Calcium, phos., D3 and vitamin A are important players in bone health and other systems in the chameleon (muscles, etc.) and they need to be in balance. When trying to balance them, you need to look at the supplements, what you feed the insects and what you feed the chameleon.
Please note that various supplements have various amounts of D3 and vitamin A and so some can be given more often than others. The idea still is not to overdo the fat soluble vitamins like D3 and prEformed vitamin A.

Here are some good sites for you to read too...
http://chameleonnews.com/07FebWheelock.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200605020...Vitamin.A.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200406080...d.Calcium.html
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/
http://web.archive.org/web/200601140...ww.adcham.com/
If you can't access the sites above that have the word "archive" in you can do it through the WayBackMachine.

This is the perfect website for you to study and learn. Please understand though; when you enter the world of chameleons, you cross over to the darkside! You become addicted to them and this forum!

Hello, my name is Charles and I am a recovering Chameleoholic...

Other then the basics of what species and what care requirements you can meet, here are some things that may further help you in your new adventure.

Before i give you a list of books, here is my warning.

Chameleons are addicting!:D i Got my first less then a month ago and i've just invested alot of money into building a large enclosure to breed chams in.
Would i recommend jumping in as quickly as i did ( in the sense that i've already begun to plan on bigger ventures such as breeding )? no. do plenty of research first, i spent atleast 3 months researching them and still am every day and every night.just make sure you know what your getting into and you'll be fine, more importantly, your experience with chameleons will be a positive on on all sides!!

Here is a list of books that i purchased when getting our first chameleon!

I'll put a:) next to the ones i highly recommend.

Essential Care of Chameleons:)
By: Philippe de Vosjoli

The Chameleon Handbook :):):)
By: Francois Le Berre ( I got mine at Petsmart!)
(don't buy a chameleon without reading this in my opinion)

The Guide to Owning a Chameleon
By: W. Schmidt, K. Tamm & E. Wallikeqitz
(older book but still found it interesting, Unnecessary however)

The Guide to Owning Chameleon Species
( Same time frame as book above, Interesting but unnecessary)

If your serious about getting a Chameleon Please, Please, Please Get "The Chameleon Handbook By: Francois Le Berre, I would have been lost without it.

Hopefully this will help you in some way! Good luck and Hope to hear from you further on these fourms.

Feel free to contact me if there is anything you think i may be able to help with, yes i'm newer to the chameleon world but i have alot of experience in the animal world and will try to help you out the best i can!

Good luck!

I just got my very first chameleon 4 days ago. I got a lot of good tips and info from this site, & did the 5 day course w/Screameleons, my son and I did some reading... I ended up going w/the beginner on a budget kit from screameleons they are great! Although my babygirl will be 4months old soon and in only a few more months she will need a bigger home the kit comes with almost everything you need (except crickets & calcium W/O vit D3) she's only been here 4 days I've given her lots of privacy to get used to her new home & today she took 2 crickets from my hand! Loving her to pieces!

You will learn everything you need to right here from experienced cham owners and breeders! Books are great but nothing like hearing it right from the horse's mouth! I would suggest beginning with a veiled. They are perfect "starter" chams. Love to see you are doing your research and getting prepared BEFORE jumping right in. The better informed and educated you are the healthier and happier your cham and you will be:)

Go to any of the sponsers here... (Up in the right corner) and look at thier care sheets that will get ya going and be good for the Type you want. Vields are the least expensive. I would stay away from the smaller more exotic spieces for now. Also females take special care too..... I would get a male & they are more colorful;) If you like horns... I would recommend a Jacksons

Hello, my name is Charles and I am a recovering Chameleoholic...

Lmao .. I'm not recovering .. I'm just beginning
lol-045.gif

Another book i found today while shopping was...
Chameleons: Care and Breeding of Jacksons, Panther, Veiled and Parsons
By: Gary Ferguson, Kenneth Kalisch and Shawn Mc. Keown

Good luck.

Other then the basics of what species and what care requirements you can meet, here are some things that may further help you in your new adventure.

Before i give you a list of books, here is my warning.

Chameleons are addicting!:D i Got my first less then a month ago and i've just invested alot of money into building a large enclosure to breed chams in.
Would i recommend jumping in as quickly as i did ( in the sense that i've already begun to plan on bigger ventures such as breeding )? no. do plenty of research first, i spent atleast 3 months researching them and still am every day and every night.just make sure you know what your getting into and you'll be fine, more importantly, your experience with chameleons will be a positive on on all sides!!

Here is a list of books that i purchased when getting our first chameleon!

I'll put a:) next to the ones i highly recommend.

Essential Care of Chameleons:)
By: Philippe de Vosjoli

The Chameleon Handbook :):):)
By: Francois Le Berre ( I got mine at Petsmart!)
(don't buy a chameleon without reading this in my opinion)

The Guide to Owning a Chameleon
(older book but still found it interesting, Unnecessary however)

The Guide to Owning Chameleon Species
( Same time frame as book above, Interesting but unnecessary)

If your serious about getting a Chameleon Please, Please, Please Get "The Chameleon Handbook By: Francois Le Berre, I would have been lost without it.

Hopefully this will help you in some way! Good luck and Hope to hear from you further on these fourms.

Feel free to contact me if there is anything you think i may be able to help with, yes i'm newer to the chameleon world but i have alot of experience in the animal world and will try to help you out the best i can!

Good luck!
Hey! Just picked up my copy of The Chameleon Handbook! :D

Welcome, Wooh! Another texan! :) This place is the best for all the information, it shows a lot by just coming here. Good luck and may you have the best chameleon keeping experience as possible.

Back
Top Bottom