I need y’alls help!

Okay so I am not that knowledgeable on the vailed chameleons yet due to only have a panther but I recently found a post on Craigslist for one and I very quickly became irate at this person and the situation.. the chameleon has something wrong with its head, very skinny as she has only been feeding mealworms to him, her post goes on to say the chameleon will live another 7-10 years if taken care of (I know that’s a lie) but the crazy thing is that she wants $500 for the chameleon and another $150 for supplies... I rang this girl up, gave her hell for an hour on care seeing the pictures you will understand! I have talked this girl into giving him to me and letting me bring him back up to health, but I’m worried the change in cages will be enough to kill him... here are the pictures and post, I’m willing to do anything but I will need help as I’ve not cared for a sick chameleon before. I will be keeping this one in a total different house than my panther, but if there is anything that I should know please tell me!

Attachments

• 4A3B79AE-1E12-4992-9154-0ABA9148B58D.png
    4A3B79AE-1E12-4992-9154-0ABA9148B58D.png
    845 KB · Views: 240
  • D08388D0-3514-40CD-8496-3B52F0A88202.png
    D08388D0-3514-40CD-8496-3B52F0A88202.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 234
  • CBFD6872-F166-4233-805F-B4C8C4C3E590.png
    CBFD6872-F166-4233-805F-B4C8C4C3E590.png
    847.4 KB · Views: 257
  • EF8C4A7C-BEAB-4D55-B12C-AC911A253576.png
    EF8C4A7C-BEAB-4D55-B12C-AC911A253576.png
    709.9 KB · Views: 235
  • 30CE9985-E5AF-4DD3-B88D-B8BA6079B1C2.png
    30CE9985-E5AF-4DD3-B88D-B8BA6079B1C2.png
    845 KB · Views: 260
  • 01367532-CEE3-4C11-87EE-4369FA49F65C.png
    01367532-CEE3-4C11-87EE-4369FA49F65C.png
    865.7 KB · Views: 237
Hi hun. Ok so care for a Veiled lines up with what you have learned for your panther. Here is where it is different. UVB should be a T5HO fixture with a uvb bulb 10.0 or 12% arcadia brand and it should run the entire length of the top of the cage. Adult cage size is the same 2x2x4. Humidity levels your looking for a 40-70 range. But during the day this can drop to 30%. They eat plants so sticking to safe veiled ones is important. Pothos, dwarf umbrella are two that I find to be better for them. So your making the obvious changes here. Adding a ton of branches and live plant cover so he can feel safe. Changing the diet and ensuring the proper supplementation. Which will be the same as your panther. Calcium without D3 nearly every feeding. And then Calcium with D3 2 times a month along with a multivitamin 2 times a month on opposite weeks.

I do not think moving cages is going to kill him. It is hard to tell from the pics if their is any issue going on that is obvious since he is sleeping in most of them. I will say from what I can see he does not look extremely underweight. I would get a fecal done to ensure that he is not carrying anything that can be contagious for your other cham. So keep them totally separate and wash your hands to ensure that your not carrying anything back and forth until you find out that it is clear of parasites.
Here is the care sheet https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Thank you! I sent you a message as well, do you recommend a hospital set up until he gets to moving around and whatnot? From what I’m told he spends 80% of his time on the ground or near the very bottom, sleeping most of the time so I’m worried he may even need to see the vet today, I don’t have a ton of money to spend but I’ll do what I can to get him back to health even if it means a couple trips to the vet.

Do you know what’s on his head? Does it look like a burn?
That was my first thought but it's hard to tell. I know nothing about craigslist but can you post comment or questions? I would be asking publically why she is selling a sick animal and totally inadequate setup for a monumentally ridiculous price.

I know you want to help but I wouldn't give this idiot more than a few quid at best and only then for the sake of the cham.

Even better, beat the crap out of them! Sorry, I mean calmly explain the error of their ways and educate them. (With a brick)

I have talked her into giving me the Cham, I have ask all those questions and every answer is more dumb than what came out of her mouth at first. The brown color on the head in normal?

I have talked her into giving me the Cham, I have ask all those questions and every answer is more dumb than what came out of her mouth at first. The brown color on the head in normal?
I do not see anything out of the ordinary for the coloration. I think that he is just showing his colors.

Get after it.. You clearly want the critter and sounds like you want to take better care of it too. @Beman has a keen eye and i would trust the judgement. At the very least you have shared some info with her and helped open her eyes to the care level required for keeping. I just chewed a buddy for crappy lights on his reptile.

The casque looks normal... They often will have that grey coloration along the edges of the casque. If it was a burn I would expect to see the burn on its back as well.

The photo looks like it was taken with the flash on which often washes out color and added weird shadows. When you get the cham, take another photo in good, natural lighting with no flash.

At this point I'd be more worried about the curve in the spine. Could be nothing or it could be MBD.

So this is where you are at. Until you have him in your care you will not know what is what with him. I do advice getting a fecal done on the stool sample. Last thing you need is to cross contaminate to your other cham if he does have a parasite issue.

So when you go get him. Take like a 12x12x12 box put a few air holes in the side. Not large though. put a towel in the bottom and if you have a stick for him to hold on to that you can punch through both sides of the box toward the very bottom. You will want to seal up the top of the box letting no light in. This will keep him calmer for moving and is much less stressful.

Okay so I am not that knowledgeable on the vailed chameleons yet due to only have a panther but I recently found a post on Craigslist for one and I very quickly became irate at this person and the situation.. the chameleon has something wrong with its head, very skinny as she has only been feeding mealworms to him, her post goes on to say the chameleon will live another 7-10 years if taken care of (I know that’s a lie) but the crazy thing is that she wants $500 for the chameleon and another $150 for supplies... I rang this girl up, gave her hell for an hour on care seeing the pictures you will understand! I have talked this girl into giving him to me and letting me bring him back up to health, but I’m worried the change in cages will be enough to kill him... here are the pictures and post, I’m willing to do anything but I will need help as I’ve not cared for a sick chameleon before. I will be keeping this one in a total different house than my panther, but if there is anything that I should know please tell me!

When are you going to pick him up? VERY concerning that he's spending so much time near the ground and sleeping during the day. Definitely see a vet soon. Very good of you to rescue him, best of luck and please keep us posted. Hopefully you'll be able to get him back on track and healthy again!

I wouldn't try get any chameleon from the Craigslist unless they pay me 500 to keep the cham...I will suggest the OP to look in other places in this forum for another cham..dont let the seller take advantage on the kindness that ready to give in for the seller's stupidity.

Back
Top Bottom