I need some help please

sallyb

Avid Member
My 16 month old veiled Gizzy had an egg removal and speying a couple of months ago now - she had her stitches out a fortnight ago and was given a clean bill of health by the vet. However over the last few days i have noticed a lump between her front legs and i really don`t know if i am overeacting or if something is wrong - it is fairly hard and seems to go behind her ribs.I know it is unlikely to be connected with the op, but does anybody have any idea whether this lump is normal for a veiled or something more sinister ? She is eating and drinking as normal and seems her usual self. I took the attached pics today. :confused:

Sorry having a problem uploading pics. The lump i am referring to is the part resting on the vine.

Attachments

• mo 002.jpg
    mo 002.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
I would have the vet check it asap. It may not be anything serious....I don't know but I definilely wouldn't chance it. Jann

Does the bump still show when she isn't sitting? It really doesn't look like something I have seen before and if it seems hard the I agree sweet little gizzy may need to see the vet again. The good part is your vet knows gizzy so well it should be no problem to determine if she has a problem. i am hoping there is no problem as you and gizzy have been put through the wringer already.

I don't see anything odd looking.:confused: Maybe I'm not looking in the right place. It looks to me like she was basking and letting it all hang out! Amy goes a peculiar shape when basking sometimes, but if you are in any doubt then a vet visit will put your mind at rest.

Thanks guys, i think i will give the vet a call or mail him the pics. I have included another pic of Gizzy upright on her tree this afternoon and as you can see the lump is fairly obvious, however when she is walking i cannot see it, but can still feel it. I am probably just worrying too much.

Attachments

• lump 005.JPG
    lump 005.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 99
To me (not a vet) it just looks like the post-surgical swelling has gone down and left her looking a little bit more concave in the belly area. She has had a lot of her lady-bits removed, after all. I've sometimes had female chameleons look a little more empty in the belly after laying, before they get their shapes back.

Of course, I would still send the pic to the vet and ask his opinion - it's what he's there for.

yeah after all shes been thru id send the vet some pics. He may want to palpate and feel it also. It doesnt look like edema and you said it felt hard. I think the previous poster could be correct it could be the result of post op recovery. She looks like she has recovered quite well after all she has been thru. Good luck.

Thank you all for the advice - I called the vet but it`s his day off so i have now emailed some pics to him to see if he wants me to bring her in. I should know tomorrow morning if she needs to go in.

Yes, she has been recovering really well and generally seems pretty good. Her appetite has been amazing. If i don`t give her more crickets she just demolishes her plants instead :rolleyes:

Thank you all for the advice - I called the vet but it`s his day off so i have now emailed some pics to him to see if he wants me to bring her in. I should know tomorrow morning if she needs to go in.

Yes, she has been recovering really well and generally seems pretty good. Her appetite has been amazing. If i don`t give her more crickets she just demolishes her plants instead :rolleyes:

She sure sounds like a healthy, happy chameleon.

hope everything goes alright my fellow yorkie !!

Try giving her some fruits and veggies. My chams love collard greens, apple, banana, pear, grapes and strawberries.

Well we are even more confused this morning as when we checked Gizzy a few minutes ago the lump had reduced by about thre quarters in size. She has just eaten and seems perfectly happy running around the lounge. :confused:

Jann - We have tried fruit, but Gizzy only seems interested in all things green and leaf like. She has eaten apple a few times and loves rocket and sometimes eats cress, but we have yet to conquer cabbage and spinach etc. It doesn`t seem to make a difference, she still munches her way through her home, lol.

Attachments

• Yay Pothos Plant  (2).jpg
    Yay Pothos Plant (2).jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 77
Does she eat leaves every day? Maybe that lump was a ball of leaves she was trying to digest. Just a thought but maybe you ought to think about giving her some horn or silk waorms to help her keep everything lubricated down there and help her pass all those greens. juat a thought. good luck

That`s a really good idea, but i just cannot seem to find horn or silk worms over here. If anyone knows of a uk mail order i would be very grateful. She doesn`t eat leaves everyday, but seems to go through phases where she will munch anything in sight for a few days and then not bother for a week or so. Would it cause a lump like that if she were tryig to digest them ? I had no idea. :eek:

I agree Laurie she just looks fantastic now after the op and seems like a different chameleon :D Trouble is that the new slimmer model is much harder to spot when hiding, lol.

Is there a suitable replacement for silk and horn worms ? I`ve had another hunt on the net, found two sellers for silkies, but out of stock. Are butter worms a viable alternative ? I know nothing about them.

It depends on what else you feed. They aren't like crickets or locusts, but they aren't like mealworms or wax worms... Does that make sense?

Back
Top Bottom