I need help

@Amanda a bird somehow got into our house and then into our office where my chameleon went crazy try to eat it(was a smaller bird). It escaped only to get destroyed by our 17 lb cat :(

Anyway, if the cham is a larger species (parsonii, oustaleti, melleri, etc) the bird is probably in more danger than the lizard lol. Chameleons can be ruthless to things that fit in their mouth.

Ok, so right now I think I’m getting the conure but putting them in seperate rooms. What I’m worried about now are 2 things

1. Can chameleons handle lots of noise.
2. Chameleons don’t require handling care, am I right?

I don’t think that it’s necessarily an automatic No. I do think birds pose a much different set of risks than a dog.
My Dogs don’t even know my Chams exist, the Chams are well aware, but the dogs are clueless
Oh see my dog knows the chams are there... She will try to put her nose up to Beman's cage. And the odd thing is Beman will actually come all the way down to the bottom of the cage to go nose to nose with her. She has learned finally that it is not her place to put her paws up on the table to get a closer look. But I would not trust her with them at all. When I leave the house the door to the room is closed.

Ok, so right now I think I’m getting the conure but putting them in seperate rooms. What I’m worried about now are 2 things

1. Can chameleons handle lots of noise.
2. Chameleons don’t require handling care, am I right?
Chams don't hear the same way we do... They hear vibrations. And no they do not have to be handled. But making sure their enclosure is set up properly and is large enough for them is very important. This is a good site if you want to learn more about their husbandry https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

@Amanda a bird somehow got into our house and then into our office where my chameleon went crazy try to eat it(was a smaller bird). It escaped only to get destroyed by our 17 lb cat :(

Anyway, if the cham is a larger species (parsonii, oustaleti, melleri, etc) the bird is probably in more danger than the lizard lol. Chameleons can be ruthless to things that fit in their mouth.
That's what I mean! Lol. I'm scared for my bird's safety, not my chameleons! 😂😂
Aw, poor birdy.

I've had both my panther chameleon and a sun conure (not at the same time) But I agree, its no different then keeping my dogs away from my Cham. Since they both have their own rooms and enclosures, I don't see how they would ever meet unless you allow it. Sure the bird could fly into the same room as the cham enclosure if the door was left open by accident. But it would still have to get into the enclosure. And if that happened you are just not paying attention to your pets. It would be no different then the bird flying out the front door of the house.

Here's my 2 cents... I have many handtamed birds (1 conure, 4 parakeets, 2 lovebirds, 4 cockateils). They are downstairs and my cham has his own bedroom upstairs. They are always in separate floors of my house. Can't really hear them upstairs. Just gotta be responsible. And my bird babies all have their wings clipped so there's no flying. They just chill on the couch with me!

Last edited:
@jamest0o0 I do see where your coming from, but what if the bird were to get out?

Be a responsible keeper and don't allow them out at the same time, and ideally, not in the same room. Many of us have dogs and cats and the same rules of common sense apply. Be responsible and aware of where they both are.

Parrots will chew, bite, climb, and get into mischief. My family has had several parrots over the years. I would not keep it in the same room for a few reasons: birds are predators of chameleons, birds are messy and loud, and birds climb and use their mouths to feel around. I would be worried about the bird climbing up the side of the cham cage and nibbling on a tail or the screen. A parrot could easily shred a chameleon, even if they were just being "playful."

We also have a keeper on the forums who free ranged both his parrot and chameleon, and the bird bit the chameleons face and punctured clear through their mouth, leaving a large wound and loss of tongue. That actually ended better than I'd expect it would have if it were my family's african grey.

I'm not saying don't get a parrot... but definitely don't allow the parrot in the same room as the chameleon.

Additionally, in the wild, sun conures also feed on small insects and their larvae as for being naturally omnivores. so they like and need a little meat. so be careful

I didnt take time to read most of the comments, so if I repeat something, I apologize.
I have a parakeet, which is slightly smaller than a conjure, but he doesnt bother the chameleons at all. My bird has his own perches and his own playground, and my chameleons have a free range that is on the other side of the room. They dont mingle. It is safe, and my tiny little bird doesnt try to attack my lizard. The thing I worry about the most is if my chameleon will try to shoot at my bird. I have seen some terrifying videos about chameleons eating small birds.
Just dont hold them both on the same arm. Lol. I dont think it is that big of a deal.

A parakeet is probably less of a risk because of their small beaks. A conure still has a large / powerful beak.

I had a conure named Lucy. She was loud as hell, but cute! When I came home I would yell "LUCY YOU HAVE SOME ESPLAININ TO DO" and she'd start squawking.

Edit: When I read parakeet, I think of the common little budgies...but there are some parakeets with equally large / sharp beaks!

Be a responsible keeper and don't allow them out at the same time, and ideally, not in the same room. Many of us have dogs and cats and the same rules of common sense apply. Be responsible and aware of where they both are.

Parrots will chew, bite, climb, and get into mischief. My family has had several parrots over the years. I would not keep it in the same room for a few reasons: birds are predators of chameleons, birds are messy and loud, and birds climb and use their mouths to feel around. I would be worried about the bird climbing up the side of the cham cage and nibbling on a tail or the screen. A parrot could easily shred a chameleon, even if they were just being "playful."

We also have a keeper on the forums who free ranged both his parrot and chameleon, and the bird bit the chameleons face and punctured clear through their mouth, leaving a large wound and loss of tongue. That actually ended better than I'd expect it would have if it were my family's african grey.

I'm not saying don't get a parrot... but definitely don't allow the parrot in the same room as the chameleon.
Totally understood 😃👍🏻 being responsible is key.

Attachments

• 20200620_201746.jpg
    20200620_201746.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 59
Back
Top Bottom