I need help!

annapaige08

I’ve inherited a male veiled cham. I have no idea how old he is. I don’t know if he was given supplemental calcium as a babe...AND his back legs don’t work He definitely has some strength in them. I’ve tried gently straightening and rubbing his back legs. He can grip my fingers with his back feet and tries to pull his legs away...he just doesn’t use them. I’ve eliminated constipation as the cause. BMs are regular and normal. I encourage fluids with a syringe. So far, I’ve only fed him dusted mealworms and crickets. What else can I do??????
E2214FB9-9AA8-460E-9C79-08D78C718F4E.jpeg

This seems to happen quite often with veiled chameleons. In some cases its constipation or impaction or maybe even swollen organs (kidney disease) or in females, eggs pushing on things that causes it. Sometimes it's MBD. Sometimes it's a spinal injury...but as @Lennoncham said if it can move the tail it's unlikely.

IMHO the only thing to do is take it to the vet.

Last edited:
This seems to happen quite often with veiled chameleons. In some cases its constipation or impaction or maybe even swollen organs (kidney disease) or in females, eggs pushing on things that causes it. Sometimes it's MBD. Sometimes it's a spinal injury...but as @Lennoncham said if it can move the tail it's unlikely.

IMHO the only thing to do is take it to

Thank you! I really appreciate everyone’s input. I’ve never taken care of a reptile, let alone a chameleon. I had no idea they require so much care. Looking for a vet as we speak. I just wanna do right by the little guy. I haven’t had him long and I’ve grown fond of this cutie ♥️

If you answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread near the top of the health forum we can check out your husbandry and see if there are any changes that need to be made.

Worst case of mbd I have ever seen!!! Has he ever had a uv light?
Oh yeah. The first thing I did was buy the appropriate UV and basking bulbs. My sister bought this guy off someone on FB so I have no idea about his life/living conditions prior to this. Worst case you’ve ever seen? Hell, he looks way better now than he did two weeks ago. This has been a labor of love

Attachments

• 359801AE-8AE1-41A5-9EC5-5758EFCCA26E.jpeg
    359801AE-8AE1-41A5-9EC5-5758EFCCA26E.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 112
You got him in bad shape.. thanks for caring for him, his back legs are kind of mangled, he needs a linear uv light t-8 or t-5, the coil lights do not work period!! and he needs liquid calcium prescribed from vet, and a warm spot so he can absorb the calcium, these chams need heat and uv light to absorb their food-nutrients

Imelda has mbd but doesn’t have the classic smashed casques but she does have a dip in her spine. Vet say there is more then one type of mbd but we humans like to lump stuff together we don’t understand My 2 cents

Imelda has mbd but doesn’t have the classic smashed casques but she does have a dip in her spine. Vet say there is more then one type of mbd but we humans like to lump stuff together we don’t understand My 2 cents
Agree that a bent casque is one of many symptoms that indicate MBD but it is undoubtedly a reliable one. This guy is displaying a symptom commonly associated with ADVANCED MBD. Other symptoms would have surfaced well before the partial paralysis.

It’s not MBD.

Back
Top Bottom