I need help !

Kristinaa3018

I just got Luna ( female veiled chameleon ) a few days ago and I’ve noticed that she’s been sleeping during the day , shes some times active but mostly sleeping . Is it because she’s in a new home or could there be more to it ? Also I’ve noticed when I mist her cage she try’s to hid but when moving around the cage she keeps her eyes closed . She opens them sometimes but mostly closed , I feel like there’s something wrong but don’t know . Anything would help ! Thanks .

Hey there, and welcome to the forums! Your intuition is good, insofar as it is true that chameleons keeping their eyes closed during the day is a big warning sign that something is wrong.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of things that could be causing this, so I'm going to direct you to the following list of prompts which should cover all aspects of your husbandry for her. Please fill out the following in full and make sure not to leave any sections out. They are all important! This will give us most of the information we need to know and will help us make suggestions as to how you can improve her care. If I were you, I would start looking for a good exotics veterinarian in addition to posting here. It is highly likely you will need one.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

I just got Luna ( female veiled chameleon ) a few days ago and I’ve noticed that she’s been sleeping during the day , shes some times active but mostly sleeping . Is it because she’s in a new home or could there be more to it ? Also I’ve noticed when I mist her cage she try’s to hid but when moving around the cage she keeps her eyes closed . She opens them sometimes but mostly closed , I feel like there’s something wrong but don’t know . Anything would help ! Thanks .
Hoping to hear back from you. There are a lot of knowledgeable people willing to help but we need to know the situation. in th emean time, you can also check out the resources link to check if your temps and humidity line up. Also, some pics of the cham would help... some pics of the eyes would help also.

Back
Top Bottom