I need help asap

Mr. J hahaha

Established Member
So yesterday someone dropped off a Cham on my door step(in my neighborhood I’m well known to keep chams). The person put him in a box with not heat pad no nothing. They did not leave a cage or lights or anything for the poor guy. He is extremely dehydrated, his eyes are swollen shut and his right one has ooz coming from it, his mouth does not open much at all. I do not have the funds nor a enclosure for him. I have called everywhere around me and nobody will take him in with out me paying them to take him or just flat out don’t take them. I have called everywhere 2hrs out from me. I have been trying to get him drinking and he has taken in a little but gives me a very hard time. I keep cleaning the stuff off his eye and running water over both eyes to try to rinse them(I use a eye dropper I cleaned really well). Idk what to do right now and I feel so helpless. Please help anyone

So yesterday someone dropped off a Cham on my door step(in my neighborhood I’m well known to keep chams). The person put him in a box with not heat pad no nothing. They did not leave a cage or lights or anything for the poor guy. He is extremely dehydrated, his eyes are swollen shut and his right one has ooz coming from it, his mouth does not open much at all. I do not have the funds nor a enclosure for him. I have called everywhere around me and nobody will take him in with out me paying them to take him or just flat out don’t take them. I have called everywhere 2hrs out from me. I have been trying to get him drinking and he has taken in a little but gives me a very hard time. I keep cleaning the stuff off his eye and running water over both eyes to try to rinse them(I use a eye dropper I cleaned really well). Idk what to do right now and I feel so helpless. Please help anyone
Do you maybe have a good relationship with a local reptile store that may be prepared to lend you something?

Are there any other members on here anywhere near you that could help?

You will do what most of us would, just whatever you can to help. At this point, whatever you can come up with, even if it's far from perfect is a step forward.

As an emergency measure, a large plastic tote with a simple basking bulb might be just enough to keep the little guy comfortable for now.

I wish you all the best. Please tell us how go on.

plastic tub, you dont want a big tall cage if hes in that condition he needs a hospital bin, bring him to the vet asap if you can if not, can you post pictures of him and we may be able to help. he may need a slight shower or long misting session and you may need to start syringe feeding something like carnivore care or smushed hornworms. sending my best wishes, please keep us posted.

That is so sad. I am sorry to hear that. I wish you lived closer I have an extra cage and heat lamp.
This thread has some images of a hospital bin using a plastic tote. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/rescue-chameleon-need-help.167732/#post-1457569

You can get a clamp heat lamp for about 8 bucks at your local hardware store. Then just use a normal incandescent house light bulb. Might be able to put something together for him for less then 50 bucks. tote, screening, some wood dowels, lamp, bulb....

That’s horrible I have a pet shop in my area that takes in rescued pets. Hopefully you can find one. Maybe Craig’s list in your area? Maybe someone rescues for a living and has ads on there. Best of luck hopefully little guy pulls through

Do you maybe have a good relationship with a local reptile store that may be prepared to lend you something?

Are there any other members on here anywhere near you that could help?

You will do what most of us would, just whatever you can to help. At this point, whatever you can come up with, even if it's far from perfect is a step forward.

As an emergency measure, a large plastic tote with a simple basking bulb might be just enough to keep the little guy comfortable for now.

I wish you all the best. Please tell us how go on.
I called my buddy that owned one but he said I need to take him to a vet he has no way of helping him. Right now I have a dwarf money tree that he is in with a heat lamp I’m borrowing from my Asian box turtle.

plastic tub, you dont want a big tall cage if hes in that condition he needs a hospital bin, bring him to the vet asap if you can if not, can you post pictures of him and we may be able to help. he may need a slight shower or long misting session and you may need to start syringe feeding something like carnivore care or smushed hornworms. sending my best wishes, please keep us posted.

I’m looking into that vet food they give to reptiles when they don’t eat normally. He is showing better signs today though he has both eyes open and his right one is still a little swollen but no ooz. He does want to eat because when I show him a roach he tracks it but it seems like he can’t open enough to shoot his tongue. When he opens his mouth to try and shoot his tongue he stops and starts to smack his lips(like ooo that looks good).

That is so sad. I am sorry to hear that. I wish you lived closer I have an extra cage and heat lamp.
This thread has some images of a hospital bin using a plastic tote. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/rescue-chameleon-need-help.167732/#post-1457569

You can get a clamp heat lamp for about 8 bucks at your local hardware store. Then just use a normal incandescent house light bulb. Might be able to put something together for him for less then 50 bucks. tote, screening, some wood dowels, lamp, bulb....
Me too and we could work together to get him well again. I borrowed a heat lamp from my Asian box turtle for a little bit.

So he has been moving around a lot lately on the tree. Both eyes are open today but he still can’t eat yet. He still doesn’t act like a normal Cham either. He doesn’t try to run from me or hiss or anything but watching me. I still need to find a way to get him a cage and proper lighting. Right now he is sitting in a dwarf money tree in front of a window with a heat lamp pointed off to the side. In front of the heat lamp about 9” away is a bamboo pole I wrapped in rope for him to bask on. The first pic will be of him when I first got him and the other two are from about 20 min ago
0EDCCD70-97FB-4E08-AB1A-D1A481EE90E4.jpeg
955DE3DD-91EF-4829-A02D-869EF3B50522.jpeg
2A28780E-DA0A-471A-B052-BD6035ED3815.jpeg

So he has been moving around a lot lately on the tree. Both eyes are open today but he still can’t eat yet. He still doesn’t act like a normal Cham either. He doesn’t try to run from me or hiss or anything but watching me. I still need to find a way to get him a cage and proper lighting. Right now he is sitting in a dwarf money tree in front of a window with a heat lamp pointed off to the side. In front of the heat lamp about 9” away is a bamboo pole I wrapped in rope for him to bask on. The first pic will be of him when I first got him and the other two are from about 20 min agoView attachment 227824View attachment 227825View attachment 227823
Definitely improvement. You're doing what you can and that's all you can do.

That's terrible! Poor boy. I hope you are able to help him pull through, he's beautiful. Sorry you had someone dump him on you though; anything you can do or scrape together is better than nothing. Best of luck.

So a little up date on him. I was told he most likely is at the end of his life cycle and is on a down hill roll now. The first day I got him I was able to get him to drink a little bit and he almost ate a superworm. But after that day he refuses to drink move or anything. I called around to a lot of places close to me until I got ahold of a guy that’s a vet for a shelter that confiscates animals and rescues them. He said from his size alone( he said he must be at least 5 years old) and with his symptoms he will not pull through putting him through all those tests and force feedings and such will just fast track his death. I fell so bad for the guy but I am making him as comfortable as possible.

Last edited:
So a little up date on him. I was told he most likely is at the end of his life cycle and is on a down hill roll now. The first day I got him I was able to get him to drink a little bit and he almost ate a superworm. But after that day he refuses to drink move or anything. I called around to a lot of places to me until I got ahold of a guy that’s a vet for a shelter that confiscates animals and rescues them. He said from his size alone( he said he must be at least 5 years old) and with his symptoms he will not pull through that putting him through all those tests and force feedings and such will just fast track his death. I fell so bad for the guy but I am making him as comfortable as possible.
Thanks. Not only for the update but doing everything you possibly could to help the little guy!

Back
Top Bottom