I need help a.s.a.p.

tylerg

I bought a female oustalet chameleon yesterday at backwaterreptiles.com I know nothing of the age but she is around 8 to 10". She was doing fine yesterday however she was sleeping a lot. Now the next morning she won't wake up and she can barely hold her self on the vine. Her eyes are swolled and she opened her mouth for a while so I tried to give her water and she took 2 sips. I think she might of gotten MBD am I right? What should I do?
Sorry for the sideways pic I need help now.:mad:

Attachments

• photo(5).JPG
    photo(5).JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 185
I bought a female oustalet chameleon yesterday at backwaterreptiles.com I know nothing of the age but she is around 8 to 10". She was doing fine yesterday however she was sleeping a lot. Now the next morning she won't wake up and she can barely hold her self on the vine. Her eyes are swolled and she opened her mouth for a while so I tried to give her water and she took 2 sips. I think she might of gotten MBD am I right? What should I do?
Sorry for the sideways pic I need help now.:mad:

I'm not worried of ur husbandry because its been a day.
U have two options contact blackwater. Or see a vet. Uve done nothing wrong so unless u want and can afford it. Vet MAY help. Best of luck my friend

I would quickly return the chameleon. It has healthy issues that you don't need. Let the sellers pay for the vet.

I don't know if she has mbd. It doesn't look like it to me, but Maybe a more experienced keeper will post. But if she does have mbd, u should give her some drops of liquid calcium. I have read on this forum that people do that and it help. Search the forums, there is alot of good info about mdb.

I'm not worried of ur husbandry because its been a day.
U have two options contact blackwater. Or see a vet. Uve done nothing wrong so unless u want and can afford it. Vet MAY help. Best of luck my friend

There is no way it is my fault because I have male oustalet with the exact same setup and he is perfect. I did both, I contacted the store and I am taking her to a vet at 2pm (more money out of my pocket which is bs) I just hope she can be cured but I am really doubting it can be if its MBD.

There is no way it is my fault because I have male oustalet with the exact same setup and he is perfect. I did both, I contacted the store and I am taking her to a vet at 2pm (more money out of my pocket which is bs) I just hope she can be cured but I am really doubting it can be if its MBD.

As stated above. It's not ur vet bill.. contact blackwater and request to send her back.. unfortunately the reality is she won't last long there either especially with all the.shipping around.. :( very sad case u have

They don't get MBD overnight. They may hide most of the symptoms for awhile but it doesn't look to me to be the problem here but it is hard to tell in the early stages especially just from one picture.

Take her back. Put her in the cage she was in and see if she goes back to normal, if so, then it is just showing signs of stress from the move. If she is sick, she needs a vet and it is probably something that was coming on before you got her and it is their responsibility to take care of.

Unless, of course, you are willing to handle the vet bills and nursing her back to health on your own. On the other hand, maybe the place you got her will help you with the bill and maybe even give you your money back to keep her and pay the vet with?

I wish you the best of luck and hope she is okay.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - Female Oustalet (age is unknown I am guessing a little less than a year) I have had her for a day
Handling - Only once to put her in a cage, and now I am trying to give her water but she wont take it
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Dubia roaches, none she wont eat, I do it twice a day and I gut load them as of right now with oranges and cat food
Supplements - Everything is Reptcal, dust w/o Calcium every day lightly, w/ d3 once a week, multivits every month
Watering - Little dripper system, I have seen her drink, I have sprayed twice
Fecal Description - Havent seen any yet, no
History - I just ordered her monday at backwaterreptiles.com

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Big screen cage, not sure on the size but it is about 4 ft tall
Lighting - Zoomed Uvb 5.0 and 100w heat lamp, turns on around 10 am - 9:30
Temperature - Top of the cage is around 90 and bottom I would say 75, Lower 70s at night, crappy stick on thermometer
Humidity - 40%, Spraying the cage, I dont really measure
Plants - Using 1 live plant and its a hibiscus plant
Placement - Corner of my room, near one air vent but it is closed, almost half of the hieght
Location - Dallas/ Ft Worth Texas

Current Problem - Her eyes are in, she wont open her eyes, she will barely move, her skin wont go back to the same so I know shes dehydrated but she wont drink or eat.

You say you've seen her drink. Have you tried dripping water directly on her nose? You should use a plastic eye dropper or something similar. There have been stories of chameleons biting the dropper so you don't want to use glass.

U have to spray her with warm treated water for 3-5 minutes 3 times a day especially cause she seems dehydrated..

U should measure ur humidity cause 40% is low.

You say you've seen her drink. Have you tried dripping water directly on her nose? You should use a plastic eye dropper or something similar. There have been stories of chameleons biting the dropper so you don't want to use glass.

Yes I have tried and she wont open, and I have tried to squeeze it in there so she can get some water but she will try to move away.

U have to spray her with warm treated water for 3-5 minutes 3 times a day especially cause she seems dehydrated..

U should measure ur humidity cause 40% is low.

I do spray her, I have done it twice since iver had her, and 40% is fine with Oustalets my other male is fine where hes at with it and I have another person who keeps his around the same.

And not only send it back but keep it away from you other chameleons like in another room. Remind me not to ever get a chameleon or anything else from them wow some nerve sending an animal out in that condition.

She Just had a seziure and seemed as if she was dead and i added air into her lungs and she came back, now her tounge is sticking out and she cant put it back in.

Sorry to say she's sliding take pictures for documentation. I'm sorry you have to sit through this it sucks. I learned a hard lession with a pair of WC johnstonii that I never got my money back. Buying WC chameleons is now a last resort for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom