I need advice

IMperfection

Hi, I'm new and really anticipating my cham. Before I bring one home I am doing my homework and making sure I acquire all the neccessary items. If any of you could just give me a list of what the essentials are I would be thankful and also would be hurrying the process of my new friend. Have a good night and a great day. Bye

Better you should tell what you have put together so far, and let people help you "fill in the gaps".

-Brad

If you are purchasing a veiled or panther chameleon, you can take a look on my care & equipment page for the necessary items you will need for a proper setup.

http://www.prismchameleons.com/Care.html

Other species may require different temperatures, etc., so if you are purchasing another type of chameleon, my care/equipment page may not apply.

I hope it helps!

Yea

I actually don't have anything as of now. I am in the process of building an all screen enclosure. I believe we decided on a 3x3x4, and have a site i found that had the needed supplies for that project. I was just wondering what else is essential after I get a cage. This is gonna be a lot different from the hedgehog I had before. and I'm getting a Veiled if that changes what some of the care tips are. I believe the cham is about a month old.

Last edited:
You need a water dripper. Spray bottle for misting cage, Plants pothos and scheffleras i like best, Basking light, UVA UVB light. Calcium dust for feeders, a drain system for your cage is always a good idea to prevent water buildup and mold. For a uva uvb ive heard of using a repti 5.0 i have and 8.0 and i use a blue day heat light for basking. Also you do need a vitamin dust. But these are basics and people can give brands and specifics but im not at my house so i cannot tell you specifics hope this helps.
-Chris

Temps and precautions

Basking temps should be at 90 - 95 degrees Fahrenheit with a fifteen degree difference at the "cool" side Also make sure when you get "it" that "it" can't reach up and grab the mesh where the light is. Also start to hold "it" at about 3 months for about fifteen minutes a day and when "it" is comfy with that you can extend that by 5 minutes and so on an so forth blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah......

Basking temps should be at 90 - 95 degrees Fahrenheit with a fifteen degree difference at the "cool" side Also make sure when you get "it" that "it" can't reach up and grab the mesh where the light is. Also start to hold "it" at about 3 months for about fifteen minutes a day and when "it" is comfy with that you can extend that by 5 minutes and so on an so forth blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah......

Sorry I disagree, telling him to hold a cham for 15 minutes a day at three months old seems like a bad idea. Some, actually a lot of chams don't react well to being held. Until he knows his cham and it has had lots of time to settle in holding it should be only on need to basis, like vet appts, cage cleaning, that sort of thing.

If he is getting a baby and has it bask at 95 he will very quickly have a cooked chameleon.:(

Sorry I disagree, telling him to hold a cham for 15 minutes a day at three months old seems like a bad idea. Some, actually a lot of chams don't react well to being held. Until he knows his cham and it has had lots of time to settle in holding it should be only on need to basis, like vet appts, cage cleaning, that sort of thing.

If he is getting a baby and has it bask at 95 he will very quickly have a cooked chameleon.:(

I agree with Laurie. 95 would cook him.

This is a check list i made for work (i also agree on the baby cham that the basking should be only 85)

 Enclosure (screen is better, but glass may be used if temp/humidity problems persist)
 Plants (if you can house a live plant in the enclosure do so! They need lots of vines/Foliage to climb, hide, and photo regulate from UVB)
 Thermometer (Digital allows you to store a high/low so you can see what your temps max range is. During the night temps may be allowed to go to 65F no lower. During the day temps need to be between 75F-85F Ambient, with a basking area of up to 95F (for Veiled Chameleons)
 Hydrometer (This allows you to monitor your humidity. These are tropical Animals, and need a relative humidity of 60-70%)
 UVA/UVB Florescent Bulb (This is how your Reptile metastasizes their Calcium, and generates the Vitamin D to allow them to do so. Without this your animal will die!
 Water Purifier (Repti-Safe does a great job at removing Chlorine, and chlorates from water that can be potentially dangers to a reptiles health
 Supplementation
 Hydration (A hand mister is a required item to have, but you also need to have a dripping water source running at least 4 hours a day for them as well.)
 Light timer (it is encouraged, but not required to purchase a light timer so you have regulated day/night cycles for your reptile)

and of course you need a standard 60W bulb to provide you heat depending on enclosure size

Back
Top Bottom