I need a second opinion, is she gravid?

TiKiMan

Established Member
Hey guys! Long time no talk.... So for about a week now Tiki has began to resign herself to a single branch under her heat lamp for the majority of the day unless she wants food or its bed time.
image.jpg
I
I recently had an issue and had to pull out a few planted in her cage... (I’m working on getting her some new ones) until yesterday i assumed she just wasn’t comfortable with the lack of hide, and would sit there to bask. Then yesterday i was taking some pictures for next months photo contest and i got this one with some rather... “familiar” colors to some of you. Here’s the picture
EA10A9AC-D7DB-46E5-99F4-52C9823A6DD6.jpeg

I saw these colors and began to think back to her recent behavior. She still eats like crazy but she isn’t all that active. Could she be nearing a gravid state?

looks gravid to me. do you have a laybin if yes what are the dimensions and what substarte are you using?
I dont have a laybin, about a month into me owning her I had a mild hiccup where I panicked and assumed she was gravid while she was far from it. I made a poor laybin which is now... in the trash. Could I get some advice on the proper dimensions and substrate for a good one? Thank you!!

In my opinion, this is a slight blessing in disguise. Of course I’ve never dealt with this so if she is gravid it will be stressful, but it will give me 1 less thing to worry about when putting new plants in. I won’t have to find a place to put a grumpy chameleon, because she’ll be in her laybin :)

In my opinion, this is a slight blessing in disguise. Of course I’ve never dealt with this so if she is gravid it will be stressful, but it will give me 1 less thing to worry about when putting new plants in. I won’t have to find a place to put a grumpy chameleon, because she’ll be in her laybin :)
so you'll have the lay bin separate to the cage? most people including me have the laybin inside the cage

so you'll have the lay bin separate to the cage? most people including me have the laybin inside the cage
I will have to have it separate, her cage is bioactive-ish (she needs new plants) so there’s dirt filling the bottom, I would just let her use that as a laybin but I just dont feel comfortable with it, I had someone set it up for me before I got the chameleon so I dont exactly know what dirt they used or how to prep it. So I would like to have her laybin separate

I will have to have it separate, her cage is bioactive-ish (she needs new plants) so there’s dirt filling the bottom, I would just let her use that as a laybin but I just dont feel comfortable with it, I had someone set it up for me before I got the chameleon so I dont exactly know what dirt they used or how to prep it. So I would like to have her laybin separate
how would that work out though? would she sleep in it? wouldnt that be super stressful for her just to be in the tiny bin all day?

Experts, correct me if im wrong, but since its a bioactive cage can't she just lay in the substrate?

how would that work out though? would she sleep in it? wouldnt that be super stressful for her just to be in the tiny bin all day?

Experts, correct me if im wrong, but since its a bioactive cage can't she just lay in the substrate?
When I first had my “slight hiccup” and assumed she was gravid i sent a photo of my cage to @Brodybreaux25 and he said that she couldn’t, but other opinions are welcome. The cafe has changed a lot because it seems the roots weren’t getting water because the outer layer of moss was absorbing it all. Since then the moss has been removed and I’m getting her new plants.

When I first had my “slight hiccup” and assumed she was gravid i sent a photo of my cage to @Brodybreaux25 and he said that she couldn’t, but other opinions are welcome. The cafe has changed a lot because it seems the roots weren’t getting water because the outer layer of moss was absorbing it all. Since then the moss has been removed and I’m getting her new plants.
Can i see a photo of the cage?

Can i see a photo of the cage?
Yes, keep in mind it is currently very bare because i recently removed the dead plants, I’m doing my best to get new plants in there for her today. But here’s the cage
2F8925EA-DD5B-4873-952A-DC767757A5B9.jpeg
AD7C5872-B9B6-4D94-82A1-CCAB3FC5CF28.jpeg
98895CFD-B68A-475C-8047-76F014BBC6CA.jpeg
Again, I’m doing my best to get new plants in there for her today... as well as removing the hammock which was a poor judgment call.

Yes, keep in mind it is currently very bare because i recently removed the dead plants, I’m doing my best to get new plants in there for her today. But here’s the cage
View attachment 281017View attachment 281018View attachment 281019Again, I’m doing my best to get new plants in there for her today... as well as removing the hammock which was a poor judgment call.
yes, best to get rid of the hammock and the fake plants. With a bio active setup you should utelize it with live plants

Does anyone have thoughts on the laybin issue? could she use the dirt at the bottom of her cage or should I make her one??

Not knowing what the dirt is at the bottom of the cage or its texture it's hard to say...but at least she might try digging in it and thus give an indication of what she's ready to lay. They can be picky though and if it's not the right dampness Ned texture they might chose not to bother trying to dig in it. Hard to say.

Not knowing what the dirt is at the bottom of the cage or its texture it's hard to say...but at least she might try digging in it and thus give an indication of what she's ready to lay. They can be picky though and if it's not the right dampness Ned texture they might chose not to bother trying to dig in it. Hard to say.
Oh! about the dirt, its just regular dirt with a thin layer of coco soft substrate. I only added a thin layer because I didn't have enough dirt to cover the pot that her tree is in.
Also, I got a small hibiscus into her cage today and she seems much happier :) The only question is..... is she gravid? Of course I can't really tell at the moment because I just got a new plant in her cage so she actually has coverage now. Ill keep you guys updates on her activity and behavior. In the morning ill give an updated picture on her cage, its 12:50 for me I'm going to get some sleep ?

Update! Here is her cage right now, last night a put in a small hibiscus and ruffled the dirt to cover roots
36482874-B8E4-4B27-9F30-66F402A28402.jpeg
43A62B4B-45FC-4889-8BC7-90B18C3E6982.jpeg

So here's the question, can she lay in this?? its a 20 gallon felt root pouch, filled with dirt, the only roots are contained in a pot under the surface of the dirt. This is what it looks like from the front
8E4A7BCF-73A6-4958-BA7E-13E812E55EB6.jpeg

It looks like the lights are laying on top of the screen correct? If that’s the case, you’re going to need to rise them. She’ll get burned.

Back
Top Bottom