I need a lot of help!

Snow994

I have a female and male veiled. The female has lumps in her belly and has for 7 weeks and 2 days now. I tried to mate them but she turns black with orange and green spots. I've heard this means she is gravid. Do I need a lay bin? Is gravid and receptive the same thing?

Please explain the terminology to me I'm pretty new to this and there isnt much info online that I can find.

Can someone provide pictures of a gravid & recessive female? I just need help with the terminology because no one has really explained it to me. Thanks guys!

Gravid means that they are pregnant, so that would mean they’re carrying eggs. Receptive means that’s they’re ready to mate. I’m not sure about colors and stuff as I don’t have a female. However, if she is gravid, you will need a laying bin.

Whether mated or not, your chameleon produces eggs. The lumps you are seeing are eggs. You need to make a lay bin ASAP and keep it in her enclosure. This will show you how to make one. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/
To avoid having to guess when my girls are ready to lay and the stress of moving the bin in/out, I keep the bin as a permanent part of their enclosures. Each chams receptive and gravid colors and markings are different. Mine when receptive show all of their colors and patterns and get very restless...constantly pacing their enclosures and literally climbing their walls. When gravid they pretty much look the same as receptive, except their dots are more pronounced and they get plump and a bit lumpy. Not sure if they’ll help, but here’s one of my girls.
Normal
B788DE1A-AAE6-4D2B-8BAD-56D84C3BCA5B.jpeg

Receptive
883B56CB-8ACE-408C-A3FF-87128711DE12.jpeg

Gravid
90CC26B4-ADA3-4E8D-B672-0302197299AD.jpeg

In your other thread on May 15th, I said..."You need to get the bin in her cage ASAP. Failure to provide a suitable bin can lead to egg binding". She now may be egg bound if she hasn't had a place to lay the eggs since then.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/tips-on-chameleons-that-are-gravid.175338/
I understand, although immediately after this post she began to eat. Now shes eating a regular amount and seems very healthy. She hasnt started digging yet so no worries there. At the time I was worried but I've realized that protrusions on her belly was just her struggling to digest food. Now she passes it just fine and the lumps leave and reappear just before she goes, then they're gone after. I believe shes ready now but at the time there just wasnt much of a need for it.

As was said by @MissSkittles "To avoid having to guess when my girls are ready to lay and the stress of moving the bin in/out, I keep the bin as a permanent part of their enclosures."...this is what I also do and recommend. It's too easy to miss the chameleon being ready and ending up with an eggbound chameleon that requires surgery or dies as a result.

Some of them eat right up until the day they lay..some don't...some eat sporadically. What do you think the reason was that she was struggling to digest her food? How much are you feeding her per week?

In your other thread on May 15th, I said..."You need to get the bin in her cage ASAP. Failure to provide a suitable bin can lead to egg binding". She now may be egg bound if she hasn't had a place to lay the eggs since then.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/tips-on-chameleons-that-are-gravid.175338/
In light of this and re reading your post, I have to ask why you would try to breed your chameleons? I mean this with all respect, but you are obviously new enough to having chameleons that you aren’t yet knowledgable about basic female needs. Incubating eggs and raising baby chameleons are not simple undertakings and really best done by one with knowledge and experience. From what others have said, breeding chameleons is not at all profitable for the casual keeper and is more a labor of love or to keep a good genetic line going. I suggest you continue to learn all you can about chameleons, love and enjoy those you have and don’t make any more attempts to breed them.

Whether mated or not, your chameleon produces eggs. The lumps you are seeing are eggs. You need to make a lay bin ASAP and keep it in her enclosure. This will show you how to make one. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/
To avoid having to guess when my girls are ready to lay and the stress of moving the bin in/out, I keep the bin as a permanent part of their enclosures. Each chams receptive and gravid colors and markings are different. Mine when receptive show all of their colors and patterns and get very restless...constantly pacing their enclosures and literally climbing their walls. When gravid they pretty much look the same as receptive, except their dots are more pronounced and they get plump and a bit lumpy. Not sure if they’ll help, but here’s one of my girls.
Normal View attachment 270325
ReceptiveView attachment 270326
GravidView attachment 270327
Im confused. your chameleons "gravid" colors are my veiled chameleons permanent colors? My 2 yr old female veiled always has those colors.

Im confused. your chameleons "gravid" colors are my veiled chameleons permanent colors? My 2 yr old female veiled always has those colors.
Each cham is different. I’ve only been keeping chams for a year and the lovely lady pictured honestly hasn’t been just plain green since last October. After her 1st lay she went back to plain, but hasn’t since her 2nd receptive cycle...just the brightness varies. My other girl is pretty much the same, except she’s only laid once.

Female Chams turn black with yellow coloration when they are gravid (pregnant) and there is a male in their view. It is there way of telling the male that his job is done and the shop is closed. If no male is in their view, they will go back to green...

Back
Top Bottom