Tips on Chameleons that are gravid.

Snow994

I have an adult female veiled chameleon I purchased about a week ago. She was doing well for the first few days we had her but now she wont eat or drink and we've been force feeding and hydrating her. I believe shes gravid due to the multiple egg shaped protrusions on her belly near her legs and vents. Shes still active, alert, and aware. Good husbandry so no worries there. We have a lay bin prepared for her. Any tips? I dont know any date in which she should lay because of the date in which we purchased her. Any advice for someone who has never owned a female chameleon? Thanks all. <3

What is the lay bin substrate and how big is the bin?

Plenty of privacy is needed but the right environment and supplements is really key.

@Gingero gave a great resource. Can I ask what you are using for supplements? I have two female who receive two different schedules of supplements.

A picture would also be helpful to tell how "far along" she is.

How long has she been off food that you would need to force feed her? Reason why I ask is this will cause even more stress while she is getting ready to lay...

I would post pics of her, the lay bin, and her enclosure and I would fill out the help form below so those that have females can give you exact feedback.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

What is the lay bin substrate and how big is the bin?

Plenty of privacy is needed but the right environment and supplements is really key.

@Gingero gave a great resource. Can I ask what you are using for supplements? I have two female who receive two different schedules of supplements.

A picture would also be helpful to tell how "far along" she is.

We give her calcium supplements with light d3 every other day. We are about to get a new bin with moist play sand, 12 in deep.
Also these pictures are a few days old, she now has more protrusions and a bigger belly over all.

Attachments

• 20200514_144729.jpg
    20200514_144729.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 81
  • 20200514_144718.jpg
    20200514_144718.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 120
You need to get the bin in her cage ASAP. Failure to provide a suitable bin can lead to egg binding.

Please answer the jesting in the post @Beman made so we can check your husbandry. Please be specific about the supplements, feeding/gutloading insects, UVB light you use, number of insects you feed her each week, basking temperature.

We give her calcium supplements with light d3 every other day. We are about to get a new bin with moist play sand, 12 in deep.
Also these pictures are a few days old, she now has more protrusions and a bigger belly over all.

Thanks for the response. That is too much d3, and likely too little other vitamins she needs to have healthy clutches.

As @kinyonga said, the lay bin she needs today. Its normal for them to stop eating before they lay so she may be ready to go.

Lay bin and privacy, you can even cover the bottom have of her enclosure for total privacy. She will dig a hole, maybe a few, and lay and be ready for food and water when she is done.

The husbandry review would be very helpful for me to help you further.

Hope she has a good lay!

Back
Top Bottom