I need a little help

Richardl046

I’ve had my male veiled chameleon for a few weeks now. Yesterday I let him do a little “free roam”. He sat on a plant on the outside of his enclosure all day and slept in it. I finally got him back in to the enclosure. (I put him back so he could get uvb) It took a long time, but after it I had to leave. Then when I got back he was crawling on the floor of his enclosure as a dark color. He seemed “happy” in his enclosure before. I’m not sure if there is any thing wrong. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• 84AB7CFB-38D5-408F-97AF-71C1D49B0511.jpeg
    84AB7CFB-38D5-408F-97AF-71C1D49B0511.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 7C1C5CA2-D06F-468E-872C-6BB27357318B.jpeg
    7C1C5CA2-D06F-468E-872C-6BB27357318B.jpeg
    214.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 30B655CF-DAD4-4191-8AEE-777500C0935C.jpeg
    30B655CF-DAD4-4191-8AEE-777500C0935C.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 65
What's the temperature where he was sitting in the free range?
Was he asleep when you went to put him back in the cage?

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Veiled,Male,I’m not sure of his age. I’ve had him for a little less then a month.
  • Handling - I don’t touch him. Everyone few days I will reach my hand out to him.
  • Feeding - Crickets. Then hornworms or super worms as a treat 2 times a week. 8 crickets. One hornworm or super 2 times a week. I think he is still young considering his size so once a day. Carrots 🥕
  • Supplements - Flukers Calcium without d3. Rep-Cal calcium with d3. Zoo-Meds Reptivite with D3. I dust with Fluckers Calcium without d3 6 times a week. Then switch between the Rep-Cal and vitamin on Sundays.
  • Watering - I have a dripper and misting system. It mists 3 times a day. Morning 3 min. Evening 2 min. Afternoon 3 min. I have seen him drink on camera.
  • Fecal Description - Brown droppings white urate. Firm-ish. He has not been tested for parasites.
  • History - I don’t know previous history. He is from Petco(I know they aren’t good, but he seemed healthy). This all started after he was out for a few hours.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - screen cage 24x24x36
  • Lighting - 50w basking bulb. T8 linear 24” 5.0 uvb bulb.(I know it needs to be t5HO but I can’t find one anywhere online that’s 24”)
  • Temperature -temp is around 80-83 basking. Closer to bottoms around 74-80. I use a temp gun off Amazon.
  • Humidity - humidity around 30-50%. I have a humidifier in the room. I have a hydrometer in the cage.
  • Plants - All live plants except little vine. Dracena, Yuca, another I don’t remember but is safe, and a Magesty Palm
  • Placement - Its in my room (low traffic) There is a heater in the room to maintain heat due to winter. The top of the cage is around 10ft.
  • Location - Maryland(east coast of America)

Current Problem - He was “free roaming” in a plant and when moved back in cage he went to the bottom and kept trying to escape.(He has never been to the bottom of his enclosure)

Few things to note:
1. Chameleons change colors for a variety of reasons. It doesn't always mean "happy" or "upset" colors.
2. Chameleons, males specifically, try to come out of their enclosures all the time as they get older in order to try and find a mate. From looking at your pics, he looks to be around that age when all they want to do is come out.
3. Because your Reptivite has D3 in it, then you don't need to also use calcium with D3. Just use the Reptivite with D3 2x a month.
4. I'd also recommend cutting out your afternoon misting and just mist morning and night.
5. Check out the site sponsors and Amazon for a 24" T5 UVB -- they're out there. https://www.chameleonforums.com/sponsors/
6. If you post a better pic of your chameleon we can help give you can age approximation -- I think you'll want to start cutting back on food soon.

Few things to note:
1. Chameleons change colors for a variety of reasons. It doesn't always mean "happy" or "upset" colors.
2. Chameleons, males specifically, try to come out of their enclosures all the time as they get older in order to try and find a mate. From looking at your pics, he looks to be around that age when all they want to do is come out.
3. Because your Reptivite has D3 in it, then you don't need to also use calcium with D3. Just use the Reptivite with D3 2x a month.
4. I'd also recommend cutting out your afternoon misting and just mist morning and night.
5. Check out the site sponsors and Amazon for a 24" T5 UVB -- they're out there. https://www.chameleonforums.com/sponsors/
6. If you post a better pic of your chameleon we can help give you can age approximation -- I think you'll want to start cutting back on food soon.
Here is him being angry next to a 6” tube. If you need more let me know

Attachments

• C6C51549-34F0-4703-9563-E24BC1E5AA6D.jpeg
    C6C51549-34F0-4703-9563-E24BC1E5AA6D.jpeg
    246.5 KB · Views: 73
@Gingero covered the important things in your husbandry.
One more thing though...I would feed the insects a better diet. You want healthy insects to feed to your chameleon. Dandelion greens, kale, collards, squash, sweet potato, sweet and a small small bit of berries, apples, pear, papaya etc would help the insects be healthier.

He is not getting enough UVB with the T8 and the 5.0 bulb... With a T8 you have to increase the bulb strength and also make sure your distance to the basking branch is correct. So with a 10.0 bulb in a T8 fixture your branch below the UVB needs to be 5-6 inches away to get a 3 UVI level.

see above t5 bulb and hood though since your cage has some height and space before the fist horizontal also build a shade area of plants for cham to hide when necessary also levels of branches

Back
Top Bottom