I need a Geek-Virus

I agree completely with thealissa.. though I haven't made the switch to chrome from FF yet.. still waiting until they get it running better with sites.

Holy crap. What sorts of things are you downloading and where from?! I have been using AVG, and AVG alone, for the past 3 years or so and have never come across anything. Even while downloading songs from Frostwire for about a year straight.

Are you running Microsoft XP, Windows Vista, or 7? If so, I would recommend turning off the auto updates. Either completely off, or on the "important updates" only option. Doing this will actually keep your computer running smoother and quicker.

Also, are you using Internet Explorer as a browser? If so, I would switch to Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Both are more secure (harder for you to get "hacked"), run faster, and are less buggy. Chrome isn't quite implemented with all websites yet, but I would be willing to bet that it will work with any of the sites you visit daily.

My computer use these days is mostly cham forums :eek:, banking, email, my website, and Facebook. I had NOT been running virus protection-after it expired-so this is my fault as hubby says. None of the other computers in the house (5) has any issue on the same network. I do not surf, click on things or open strange emails, nor do I download anything. I have been on the web as long as one could be on the web and Never had an issue like this. AND-the next day one of our work PC's(nothing related to me/no way to cross-contaminate) got hit with the same virus-and we are THOROUGHLY virus protected-so it seems like a particularly tricky virus!
I had been unable to complete windows service pack 3 upload-so I am sure I already had something before these viruses hit, and I do use XP.
Now I have to order the restore discs and move my hardrive to a bare bones PC and hope the picture files I copy are not infected. :(

That's really strange. If you're not downloading anything, ever, technically it is "safe" to not use an anti-virus, unless you're using IE (Internet Explorer).

Back
Top Bottom