I nearly DIED today

So true about the lifejackets, I'm a strong swimmer but it was so hard to swim in clothes, against the current, holding the two bags I'd grabbed, with a 6 year old wrapped around my head! Was exhausted.

On Wednesday a boat capsized off Manhattan during the fireworks. Lots of boats were out, they all pitched in, but there were suspicions that there were too many people and too few lifejackets and several children drowned. Horrible.

Still miss my towel.

I am so sorry about your towel!

That's exactly what PFDs are for...those times when being a good swimmer isn't going to make much difference. I have a gas cartridge inflatable vest I wear every time I'm on the water (I row a Swampscott dory for exercise and take it on coastal camping trips). Even though I swim, trust my boat and know the area, it only takes a minute to get into trouble. This type of vest is much more comfortable, a bit less obvious, doesn't get in the way, but will do what is needed.

I read about that "yacht" capsize off Manhattan. Suspicions? The operators were criminally responsible. Anyone who owns or operates a boat should have realized it was completely overloaded. A boat that size has no business trying to haul that many people for any reason. If any passengers refused to wear their PFD or didn't have one, they should have left them right on the dock.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people think "I don't need a PFD, I'm a great swimmer!" But are you also impervious to cold and head trauma with ton's of experience in emergency situations on the water? Oh that would be a Navy Seal! Wait... they wear life vests too... hmmm

I would literally swim in class 2 and 3 rapids on the American River was always with several other river rats who were very experienced and we would not get into a raft or kayak without a vest on. Of course we were nerds because we didn't drink on the river either...

Why is it alcohol and water seem to be attracted to each other when it is one of the stupidest combinations on earth? "I have an idea! Lets go to a place where humans are no longer on top of the food chain, have limited ability as it is, and get drunk!" Hmmm sounds like a good idea to me! ha haa

Okay I'm done ranting, I just love the water and get irritated when people disrespect it and then go on about how horribly dangerous it is. With respect and caution it is no more dangerous than driving in your car.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people think "I don't need a PFD, I'm a great swimmer!" But are you also impervious to cold and head trauma with ton's of experience in emergency situations on the water? Oh that would be a Navy Seal! Wait... they wear life vests too... hmmm

I would literally swim in class 2 and 3 rapids on the American River was always with several other river rats who were very experienced and we would not get into a raft or kayak without a vest on. Of course we were nerds because we didn't drink on the river either...

Why is it alcohol and water seem to be attracted to each other when it is one of the stupidest combinations on earth? "I have an idea! Lets go to a place where humans are no longer on top of the food chain, have limited ability as it is, and get drunk!" Hmmm sounds like a good idea to me! ha haa

Okay I'm done ranting, I just love the water and get irritated when people disrespect it and then go on about how horribly dangerous it is. With respect and caution it is no more dangerous than driving in your car.

You don't even need alcohol to be stupid. When I lived back in coastal NJ we had an empty kayak wash up at our dock in January. Searchers later found the paddler drowned. His family kept wailing to the media "he was such an experienced paddler we don't understand how this happened. A fluke tragedy." Sorry folks, no experienced paddler goes out alone in winter without proper insulated clothing or leaves their sprayskirt and brand new PFD lashed to the deck of their boat!

Every once in a while we lose a supposedly "experienced" boater here too. The last one was out on his fishing boat alone, bad weather, no float plan or return time left with relatives. His boat was found empty and adrift. No life lines rigged, his float coat hanging on a peg in the cabin, and one slipper on the deck. His body was found days later with no shoes or socks on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom