I might just be a worry wart...

halesmadhouse

but it seems to me that my jackson doesn't eat enough. He only eats once a day and he does NOT like crickets...I think they may have grown too big for him so I'm going today to get smaller ones but he really likes meal worms-but again he only eats maybe 3 once a day. And I found that he will only drink water straight from the nozzle of the squirt bottle. And he only drinks once a day but he drinks quite a bit-if I stop before he's ready he bites at the tip until I give him more. And as I posted in another section...I'm not real sure how old he is so I'm sure that doesn't help. I just got him from a pet store so I dont' think he could be too old. I'll post pics of him as soon as I have time. :)

Well, after moving his enclosure to the other side of the room(near the window) he is much more active and he was drinking water for almost a full 20 minutes while I misted his enclosure. He finally started drinking off the leaves but he still prefers straight from the nozzle. (I just use a cheap squirt bottle and he drinks the drips off the tip). He would drink and drink and he went all over his cage drinking off all the plants but after a while he stopped and tipped his head back as far as he could and almost seemed to gag and I could see his throat(outside view) was full of what I assume was water. Is that normal? That watering was right before his bedtime so I won't have a chance to see if he eats until tomarrow. I'm working on getting pics up and everything...:rolleyes:

Cage Info:
Cage Type - What kind of cage are you using? What is the size?
ESU 26x24x12

Lighting - What kind of lighting are you using? How long do you keep the lights on during the day?
EXOTerra Sun glo spot 50W--10-12 hours a day (approx 9am-9pm)

Temperature - What temperature range have you created? Basking spot temp? What is the temperature at night?
I dont' have a thermometer yet...I know, I know....:(

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels?
Again don't have a way to tell yet....I do hand spray the entire enclosure for 10 minutes 4x a day-sometimes he keeps coming at the bottle so I let him drink longer until he's done

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
One fake ficus vine and a live hibiscus

Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?
Downstairs bathroom-very limited to NO traffic-window across the room open a crack

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon.
Jackson, Male, age:?? He measures approx 8-9 inches including tail

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What kind of schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
The crickets I have were already in with veggies and all that good stuff-the guy was getting them ready for his own cham and gave them to me since I was new at this...I put 5 or 6 crix in for breakfast shortly after turning the light on and then for dinner I give him 3 meal worms. He only wants the meal worms and after 3 he's done. I was letting the crix free range but I just made one of those nifty milk carton containers so we shall see if that helps...

Supplements - What are you dusting your feeders with and what kind of schedule do you use?
I use Herp Care Cricket Dust for every feeding

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I hand spray and he drinks the most straight from the tip

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings.
Ok, here's where I am confused...either he isn't going to the bathroom at all or it's a lot smaller than I am looking for (yes, I am getting him in to the vet for a check up)

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Got him at a pet store last week. I've only witnessed him eating maybe 3 times in the last week.

Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.
Just want to make sure he is "acting" normal or if I need to get him to the vet much sooner than next week.

Thank you for any advice you can help with-we appreciate it!:D

Last edited:
I found that my Jackson's doesn't eat a whole lot either. The trick I found with him was the prey items have to be really small. He'll only eat things like 2 week crickets and small moths. He's pretty picky. The more active the feeder is, the more interested he is in it too.

Unless you take him outside to get sun he will need some sort of light that produces UVb. The UVb allows him to absorb calcium correctly otherwise he could get sick in the future. Also UVa helps these guys out also. The light you have already produces this but it still may not be enough. This could effect eating habits, amounts and mating. This may also be why he just sort of percked up when he got by the window, although, I do leave one of my chameleons by the window as she really does like looking out.

Thanks!:) I've got the kids out bug hunting now so maybe we can find something he likes better-but wouldn't you know it...Hawaii is full of roaches until you actually NEED one and we are having the darndest time now...lol And I think once it stops raining and the sun comes out I'll take his cage outside with us.

Back
Top Bottom