I just sent Kraken to the vet.

That's good news. What vet did you see? Do they do the fecal in house or do they need to send it off to a lab?

What did he give you as the "formula"? I'm glad you were able to get him in so fast!
He gave me this calcium substance you mix with water and have to tube down his throat to make him healthier. And he does not have parasites.

They did not but the vet was not worried about parasites at all.

I must admit I am newer to chameleon keeping than most keepers here -- but if any vet saw the look of him and DIDN'T run a fecal, I would be looking for a new vet. If you poke around the forums you will see time and time and time again very experienced exotic vets get chameleon husbandry/ care just wrong.

I also am very curious as to why he would prescribe calcium if your chameleon DIDNT have signs of MBD? I don't understand that--but again, I am still learning myself.

Putting a tube down his throat sounds very stressful. I applaud you for embarking on the journey to getting your Kraken healthy.

I must admit I am newer to chameleon keeping than most keepers here -- but if any vet saw the look of him and DIDN'T run a fecal, I would be looking for a new vet. If you poke around the forums you will see time and time and time again very experienced exotic vets get chameleon husbandry/ care just wrong.

I also am very curious as to why he would prescribe calcium if your chameleon DIDNT have signs of MBD? I don't understand that--but again, I am still learning myself.

Putting a tube down his throat sounds very stressful. I applaud you for embarking on the journey to getting your Kraken healthy.
Yep. He actually doesn't mind it at all, he is very chill and doesn't squirm or anything. Its to make his weight go back up. And he didn't run a fecal, I don't know why but when I check in with my vet in two weeks. I will ask him too.

I don't think MBD would be the only case for calcium injection/supplementation at the vet, having a low calcium to phosphorus ratio could also be a need for additional calcium to bring the calc/phos ratio closer to 2:1, helping to avoid MBD.

https://www.sa-chameleons.com/how-to-avoid-metabolic-bone-disease/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/understanding-calcium-phosphorus-ratios.202/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom