I Just saw one in person!!!! (Oh my gosh) :)

imwithyou

So, if you've responded to my first thread before, you'd know I'm a total noob when it comes to actually owning a chameleon. If you don't however, I am not the owner of one of these fine specimens much like you may be, I just happen to do as much research as possible on them BECAUSE how much I love these creatures. Enough babbling though, I just went to the near by pet store (literally right by my house) and usually this pet store does not have chameleons or exotics, they tend to have the more common like reptiles I guess you could say (They had cute baby beardies! Tokay Frogs, and a Ball Python+a few more things)

BUT as a lucky miracle, I got to see a CHAMELEON, finally, my first time seeing one in person (ikr I'm such a noob) and it was even more amazing looking than I could have imagined. It was a tiny little veiled cham, a very light tinted greenish grey color, and I even got to see it eat! The lady at the store offered it a cricket, and it swooped it up with it's gloriously strange tongue lol. I just couldn't help but gaze/stare in awe and it. It's tail was like curled I believe, and it's eyes moved quick, such a tiny one it was. I wanted to have it as my own SO BAD, because I've never seen a cham in person OR at that store. I instantly felt myself clinging on to the little bugger(Mentally not physically because you know...)

But alas, I did not buy him because I am not an impulse buyer, and I wouldn't want to just bring it to my parents out of the blue (keep in mind I was with a friend just browsing) Seeing how beautiful they are has only boosted me to want one more. I'd work everyday for a month to own one if I could. I want to show it to my mom to see if she would find it as great looking and cute :p Imma have to keep this short and end it here instead of repeating things, I wish I knew what to do right now XD, all I can do is dream about it wearily. Hopefully in a couple of months my parents will come through and allow me permission, I know they'd be alright with a small animal, but a chameleon will take much work from my perspective, and I need to apply it carefully :3 For now though, I just wanted to share how much I now know of how majestic they really look besides in a photo ^^ (It's not much to brag about but it's something) lol take care cham owners <3 xoxo

I know how you feel. Just recently, I HELD an infant veiled chameleon for the first time. I had always seen them, but one of the employees at Petco allowed me to hold one. That was the first time I ever saw one in person, other than through a glass window. It was then that I decided to get a chameleon. I didn't get a veiled though. I searched and searched but no stores nearby had the chameleon I wanted, which was a jackson chameleon. But then I found a breeder who sold a very young one to me for a good price, and that is the chameleon I have today, and have had for almost 100 days.

The way I convinced my parents to allow me to have one (mainly my mother) was that I would pay for the chameleon and the enclosure and plants and everything else I needed up until I actually had him, and that I'd keep him in my room. My mother is rather frightened of reptiles, and she can only tolerate lizards without touching them or looking at them up close for too long. If you really want one, do lots of research and truly care, I don't see what's stopping you from getting one. Do your research, pick a chameleon you want the most, and start saving. I will help you in anyway I can, with sharing knowledge and there are many others here who will do the same, I am sure. I just recommend you get a male. THey tend to live longer and you don't have to worry about them becoming gravid.

I think I take it for granted, having 7 chams in my house. They still amaze me everyday but I get the joy of interacting with them on a daily basis and holding them and watching them give birth. I never really stopped to think how rare of an animal they are and how they inspire and excite others so much!

imwithyou, I totally get your fascination and excitement about these creatures! I patiently waited over 11 years before finally adding one into my family. Patience is key, and knowledge is power. You've come to the right place to learn and discuss all things chameleons! I have no doubt you'll make a wonderful Cham parent when the time is right:)

I've had my guy for 8 months now (wow!), and I'm still in awe of him. I love to sit on the couch by his 'window gazing spot' and just watch him move around from his window back to his free range! You will never get tired of watching them.... I love watching my little dude :)

I know the feeling. Twenty years or so ago, I use to do a lot of wholesale and imports. Everyone knows my infatuation with sea otters. These creatures are my, I would sell organs to get animal. I got a call from a guy offering me one. As much as it pained me, I had to say no. $1500 for it was a steal, also. I knew what it would take, to properly care for it. Also, I knew I could probably care for it better than whoever had it sell. Back then, I used to hatch out banded shark eggs and had tons of huge aquariums at my house. Was it doable? Yes. Should I have done it? No. I believe it ended up at our local zoo, if not mistaken. The seller eventually got in trouble with a bunch of crocodiles and alligators. He lost everything. Needless to say, sometimes it is better to either wait or just outright say no. The joy you receive from knowing you did the right thing, will far outway knowing you caused an animals demise. I only thought of this because PBS reshowed Tula and 501 the other night. Anyone unfamiliar with her , should watch. She fosters orphaned pups from Monterey Bay and was just the sweetest thing. She passed some time ago, but I still cry like a little girl with a skinned knee, whenever it comes on. P.S. the same idiot also called me with a baby giraffe, back then. Snow leopards used to be available around here also. Our community is so great.... Thank you'll for listening.:)

I know how you feel. Just recently, I HELD an infant veiled chameleon for the first time. I had always seen them, but one of the employees at Petco allowed me to hold one. That was the first time I ever saw one in person, other than through a glass window. It was then that I decided to get a chameleon. I didn't get a veiled though. I searched and searched but no stores nearby had the chameleon I wanted, which was a jackson chameleon. But then I found a breeder who sold a very young one to me for a good price, and that is the chameleon I have today, and have had for almost 100 days.

The way I convinced my parents to allow me to have one (mainly my mother) was that I would pay for the chameleon and the enclosure and plants and everything else I needed up until I actually had him, and that I'd keep him in my room. My mother is rather frightened of reptiles, and she can only tolerate lizards without touching them or looking at them up close for too long. If you really want one, do lots of research and truly care, I don't see what's stopping you from getting one. Do your research, pick a chameleon you want the most, and start saving. I will help you in anyway I can, with sharing knowledge and there are many others here who will do the same, I am sure. I just recommend you get a male. THey tend to live longer and you don't have to worry about them becoming gravid.

Wow you got to hold one, that must be an even greater experience! I don't think the pet store would let me hold the one I saw, I just don't think they're comfortable enough, especially considering the fact that I've never even seen a cham there before until that time. (and I go there a hella lot)

One thing I'm wondering (which may be way off topic) is how you could make the money for one? I'm a student still, and you may be too, the chameleon itself often costs a lot in general, and then the case they're in (which is really long but not as wide I think) costs so much. Plus I find a lot of people say you have to breed several BUGS as a snack for chams, which if FINE, just that I do not know much about that at all, I mean I've done research on chameleons, but not exactly the bugs that they eat. The lady at the pet store said she just fed him crickets, but I have a feeling that's not fine, and that you need to offer a variety. Also the fact that you need to have real plants, I don't know how hard that would be, but when I'm going to school, how can I mist the chameleons cage? Can I leave it unattended for 8 hours? Is there like a mist machine for them?

It just seems like a lot of work, which I don't REALLY mind to be honest. I understand that such a delicate creature has many needs, and should carefully be taken care of. In fact it may be a new and great experience to have all the things to do in my free time XD at least it would be preoccupying when I'm bored, and even better actually a useful thing to do!

Anyway that's a lot of questions I know XD you don't have to answer all or any, I know this reply is way late anyway >w< and personally I'd be interested in getting a veiled cham, or a Panther, because I heard the jackson has more complicated needs or something. Either way I'd love one.

I've been around chameleons for 10 years now and those awesome feelings never go away.

Ever since I started reading about them I found them unique and lovely c: and If I ever get the chance to get one I may come to you (depending, because this process will take a long time for me to make money) But yeah, I don't think I'll ever stop loving them <3

I think I take it for granted, having 7 chams in my house. They still amaze me everyday but I get the joy of interacting with them on a daily basis and holding them and watching them give birth. I never really stopped to think how rare of an animal they are and how they inspire and excite others so much!

imwithyou, I totally get your fascination and excitement about these creatures! I patiently waited over 11 years before finally adding one into my family. Patience is key, and knowledge is power. You've come to the right place to learn and discuss all things chameleons! I have no doubt you'll make a wonderful Cham parent when the time is right:)

Thanks for that ^^ I'd probably take it for granted too if I had one, I'll wait as long as I have to as long as I get one at some point ;)

I've had my guy for 8 months now (wow!), and I'm still in awe of him. I love to sit on the couch by his 'window gazing spot' and just watch him move around from his window back to his free range! You will never get tired of watching them.... I love watching my little dude :)

I'd watch mine all the time! That is, as long as he wasn't shy about it ;) Also, I believe decorating the case with plants and things would actually be more fun than time consuming, considering how artistic you can be with it :3 also congrats on having him for 8 months! You must be a great caretaker ^^ he loves you for that <3 XD

Once I saw my first chameleon at the pet store, I bought that little guy up within a week.

Best decision I've ever made. :D

I'd watch mine all the time! That is, as long as he wasn't shy about it ;) Also, I believe decorating the case with plants and things would actually be more fun than time consuming, considering how artistic you can be with it :3 also congrats on having him for 8 months! You must be a great caretaker ^^ he loves you for that <3 XD

Just goes to show that with all the proper research, timing and a good eye, you'll be successful :) I love a Chief to bits... If we ever buy a house (wen rent one currently), my 'office' for college work will reside in Chief's room ;) I've wanted a cham since I saw one at 15. Boyfriend at that time offered to buy it for me, and I almost let him but didn't since I didn't know anything about their care.... And we only had dial-up internet, so forget trying to research them in those dark dial up days, LOL!!! But now 13 years later, I finally have my chameleon :)

Your post made me smile and reminded me of how excited I was when getting my guy. Also, I think you did the right thing on waiting and not impulse buying. Right now while you try to persuade your parents (which I also had to do) figure out which type of chameleon you would like to have and do a lot of research on that species to see if that is a species you could meet the needs of and properly care for. Personally I don't breed my own insects....yet, but I get crickets from my pet store (that I'm an employee of) and then I order my other insects (silkworms) or pick them up cheap at reptile shows (hornworms).

Also I was a student while buying my chameleon, my advice is simply save as much as you can and help out your family and others to hopefully make a few bucks here and there. Also buy a kit if possible! I bought a kit from screameleons, which had everything I needed except calcium w/o D3. Kits normally end up saving you money if they have the right supplies included. Lastly don't buy a chameleon because it's cheap, buy what you actually want because it definitely pays off in the long run, trust me. :)

I remember seeing my first chameleon. He was such a cute little guy that I had to have him. Within a month I had done all the research, had a good cage, and had supplies. I finally bought him and never regretted it. :)

Wow you got to hold one, that must be an even greater experience! I don't think the pet store would let me hold the one I saw, I just don't think they're comfortable enough, especially considering the fact that I've never even seen a cham there before until that time. (and I go there a hella lot)

One thing I'm wondering (which may be way off topic) is how you could make the money for one? I'm a student still, and you may be too, the chameleon itself often costs a lot in general, and then the case they're in (which is really long but not as wide I think) costs so much. Plus I find a lot of people say you have to breed several BUGS as a snack for chams, which if FINE, just that I do not know much about that at all, I mean I've done research on chameleons, but not exactly the bugs that they eat. The lady at the pet store said she just fed him crickets, but I have a feeling that's not fine, and that you need to offer a variety. Also the fact that you need to have real plants, I don't know how hard that would be, but when I'm going to school, how can I mist the chameleons cage? Can I leave it unattended for 8 hours? Is there like a mist machine for them?

It just seems like a lot of work, which I don't REALLY mind to be honest. I understand that such a delicate creature has many needs, and should carefully be taken care of. In fact it may be a new and great experience to have all the things to do in my free time XD at least it would be preoccupying when I'm bored, and even better actually a useful thing to do!

Anyway that's a lot of questions I know XD you don't have to answer all or any, I know this reply is way late anyway >w< and personally I'd be interested in getting a veiled cham, or a Panther, because I heard the jackson has more complicated needs or something. Either way I'd love one.

There are several ways to get money, just save it. I only needed less than 300 dollars for mine. I got my jackson chameleon for just like 72 dollars or so. This is for the young chameleon himself, and the shipping. The breeder has a great deal. PM me if interested.

My chameleon has only ate crickets. I have never fed him worms, but giving him blue bottle flies would be a good decision as jackson chameleons, from what I have read, LOVE flies. He has eaten some flies that flew into my room before too. He did that on his own though, I wouldn't just give him wild house flies. It is good to have a variety, but it depends on the chameleon, and crickets as the main food is fine. If you get a veiled chameleon, he or she will likely want some fruit too. It all depends on the chameleon you want, and then individual chameleon. For instance, jackson chameleons most likely will not want any fruits or vegetables. Veiled chameleons definitely will want fruit.

You actually do not NEED real live plants. It is just better. I use a pothos, which is great because it doesn't need to be watered often and is super sturdy/hardy. It's gone over a week without water, and is still super healthy and growing! I set it on the bottom and just wrap the vines or hook them on the branches on the enclosure so that they grow upwards. You do need to mist the enclosure. Is there no one who could mist the chameleon's enclosure for you while you're away at school? If not, then you'd have to invest in an automatic mister, which would be even more expensive. But in most people's opinion, way worth it.

Remember Veiled's will need fruit or vegetables. Panthers are cool but they are a lot more expensive. Jackson chameleons actually aren't any more difficult in my opinion. They just require more humidity than most, and cooler temperatures. The only other thing, is less supplementation. That's not a big deal at all to me. Plus those horns on the males are super cool!

I know how you feel. I go to the pet store every weekend to look at the chams. I seen the Jackson today moving around quite a bit, He is normally hiding but today he seemed to be in a good mood, and then I seen him snatch a cricket. I didn't even see the cricket until it was in his mouth. That was way beyond awesome. Im still getting my enclosure ready, Im so close now. I just need help with some tooling for the drainage and Ill be set. I can't wait to bring that dude (or one just like him) home with me.

I have had Picasso for 2 months he is almost 4 months old. I have absolutely fallen in love with this Chameleon. He is a funny character. He has turned me into a chameleon lover for life!!!

chams

Maybe you need to start asking for Christmas gifts and birthday gifts. I find Amazon is one of the cheaper places for cages, etc. Good luck..

Completely understand your fascination, my fascination turned into a hobby, then into an obsession, and finally into a business. I am blessed to work with Panther and Veiled Chameleons daily and they never cease to amaze me. Veiled chameleons are great, such big personalities. But, unfortunately the work I do most with Veiled chameleons is rescue and rehabilitation. It just seems that the local pet stores pump them out a dime a dozen and misinform the buyer with information that is totally incorrect. Within a few months these new pet owners find themselves with a sick chameleon and try to sell or pawn them off on craigslist. The bulk of the problems are problems in husbandry. Chameleons are often sold as expert level creatures, but the fact is if you will do your research you will find that they simple have a select set of requirements that if followed will give your new addition a good home. With our experience, the veiled chameleons seem to tolerate a standard home atmosphere better than most, and seem to deal with a wider range of environmental fluctuation in the wild. Do your due diligence and check out the care information provided on this site.

I would never want to dissuade someone from getting these amazing species. But another thing to consider in your study is what it will cost you in the long run. You need to keep in mind a Veiled from young to sub adult will eat 10-12 small crickets a day, if not more, once adult that typically drops to 6-8 larger crickets a day or every other day depending upon the cham, and a worm or other treat snack in between. Crickets really should be the staple diet, and they should be gut loaded with fresh fruits and veggies, We also cal dust our crickets every other day, and multivitamin them once every 2 weeks with a non D3 and once a month with a D3 multivitamin. Some may disagree on this, but it has worked for us pretty well. Your cost isn't going to only be the food, but your UVB lighting will need to be changed out typically 2 times per year. You should also consider herp specialized vet check ups. And yes you can get a misting system, a good one for home use that can be set on time is the Monsoon. And please, please, please, get a well ventilated screen cage, with "NO" substrate at all, as far as plants, we use hibiscus with Veiled's and ours love them, they snack on the leaves occasionally. A male will be easier to keep, only in the since of not having to provide a egg laying bin, and his sex can be determined by his tarsal spur, just behind his rear ankle he will have a small nub, the females lack this nub. Veiled chameleons tend to be a little harder to handle than the other species we have had the pleasure to work with. But we have found that if you work with them, it does get easier, we typically start by hand feeding, offering a worm treat with our palm, but waiting patiently for them to come to us to get the snack, that typically leads them to associate us with something good, and then when we do handle it's only in short time frames and we always watch for stress factors. Once we have them eating from our hands we typically let them have free range times outside the cage on a focus tree or homemade perch, your goal is really to get them to associate you with a positive experience. For the most part we have had pretty good luck with our Veiled's, most are receptive, the males, usually gap a little when trying to get them out, probable just to to territorial issues, but always quickly cool down once out and enjoy there time out it seems. Although we do have one older female named Stella, and she is a fireball, she hates handling, so we leave her be for the most part. But we feel handling is a positive thing, if slowly introduced to the animal, it will not be over stressing and will help in the future when you have to remove them from the enclosure wether for cleaning or a vet visit. All in all, I hope you found this small bit a little helpful, so much more good stuff in this forum, and so many more with way more experience than me that have such great love and knowledge for these creatures. I wish you the best of luck, Chams certainly do not disappoint, and are so easy to fall in love with. And forgive any iPhone errors.

Back
Top Bottom