I just got my panther cham and I'm not sure he is drinking enough.

Xyres

I got him about 2 days ago and since then I have not seem him drink. I mist his cage and plants (Fake plants for now) 2-5 times a day and I have a dipper available for him multiple times a day, allowing the cage to dry each time. My mist king is coming in about a week and I am hoping that it will help solve my worries about him drinking but I am worried for the week that he won't have it. Should I try misting him directly?

How long are your misting sessions? Also, try putting hot water (it comes out warm) in your mister. My boy like a warm shower much more than a cold one. If you are really worried and he appears to be getting dehydrated try giving him a shower. Put a plant in your shower, point the spray (warm water) towards the wall of the shower. This will cause the water to bounce off the wall and a mist to hit the plant. Try leaving your cham in the shower 10-15 minutes so he has time to start drinking. Always stay in the bathroom and keep a close eye on him while in the shower.. Hope this helps...:)

How long are your misting sessions? Also, try putting hot water (it comes out warm) in your mister. My boy like a warm shower much more than a cold one. If you are really worried and he appears to be getting dehydrated try giving him a shower. Put a plant in your shower, point the spray (warm water) towards the wall of the shower. This will cause the water to bounce off the wall and a mist to hit the plant. Try leaving your cham in the shower 10-15 minutes so he has time to start drinking. Always stay in the bathroom and keep a close eye on him while in the shower.. Hope this helps...:)

My misting sessions are only a couple minutes at the moment as I do not have a drain set up for my cage yet. And I will give warm water a try, I will just need to get a de-chlorinator as I have been using water from an RO/DI system. And is the shower idea ok? I hear chlorinated water is bad for chameleons.

My misting sessions are only a couple minutes at the moment as I do not have a drain set up for my cage yet. And I will give warm water a try, I will just need to get a de-chlorinator as I have been using water from an RO/DI system. And is the shower idea ok? I hear chlorinated water is bad for chameleons.

I have read the shower suggestion a lot on this forum. Hopefully someone with more experience will join the thread. Try upping your misting sessions to 4-5 minutes. Sometime it take a cham a few minutes to start drinking. Also make sure water puddles up on leaves in the enclosure. Try a homemade dripper. I use a 1/2 gal milk jug with a tiny hole in the bottom so the water drips out slowly. How does his poop look. It should be half brown/black and half bright white. If the white part starts looking yellow or orange that is a sign of dehydration.

Also, it sometime takes a chameleon a week or so to settle in and get use too his new home. Keep up the misting sessions and get a dripper going. Just keep an eye on his poop and make sure his eyes don't look sunken in and give him some time..

I have read the shower suggestion a lot on this forum. Hopefully someone with more experience will join the thread. Try upping your misting sessions to 4-5 minutes. Sometime it take a cham a few minutes to start drinking. Also make sure water puddles up on leaves in the enclosure. Try a homemade dripper. I use a 1/2 gal milk jug with a tiny hole in the bottom so the water drips out slowly. How does his poop look. It should be half brown/black and half bright white. If the white part starts looking yellow or orange that is a sign of dehydration.

Also, it sometime takes a chameleon a week or so to settle in and get use too his new home. Keep up the misting sessions and get a dripper going. Just keep an eye on his poop and make sure his eyes don't look sunken in and give him some time..

Alright, I shall up the sessions. And I am using a dripper but I think he must be using it once I leave the room because when I walk into the room and see him hanging out near it. And as far as I saw his poop looked good. It was white and brown and his eyes look nice and bulgy like a chameleon should. I hope this is just me being overly cautious haha.

He could always be drinking when you're not home or just not looking. I wouldn't stress it too much unless he starts showing signs of dehydration.

Back
Top Bottom