I just adopted this boy from family that couldn’t take care of him. He’s my first reptile but I’m determined to give him the best life I can!

04BCB1C6-A57A-46BA-865C-0B3FDEDE5009.jpeg
AF9B8C2B-1BDD-4E02-8F10-E58B889ECA10.jpeg

His enclosure is clearly not ideal. It is what came with him from the past owner. I just put in a branch and his first live plant today, but I don’t want to add too much that will stress him out more. Oh, and if you guys have any recommendations on where to get live bugs I would really appreciate it.

welcome to the forums! Im on mobile right now and cant copy and paste a husbandry form for you! Im positive a member will beat me to it before i get home. :) As for live bugs! You can google any reptile shop and give them a call to see what feeders they offer. Petco and petsmart near me carry crickets dubias and even pheonix worms! They also have supers and mealies as well. Just call around the local reptile shops first as i usually have got healthier feeders from local shops.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome! :) You have definitely found the correct place to help you to give this fella the best life. The best way to determine what you know and where we can help is by a husbandry review. Copy/paste the following with your answers and then we can get started.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

welcome to the forums! Im on mobile right now and cant copy and paste a husbandry form for you! Im positive a member will beat me to it before i get home. :) As for live bugs! You can google any reptile shop and give them a call to see what feeders they offer. Petco and petsmart near me carry crickets dubias and even pheonix worms! They also have supers and mealies as well. Just call around the local reptile shops first as i usually have healthier feeders from local shops.
I think this is the husbandry form? I’m not sure where to answer so I thought I’d just put it here.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Veiled, male, 2 1/2 years old, and 2 days
Never held him yet
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
He hasn’t wanted to eat anything since I got him. But I’m planning on feeding him
3-5 bugs every 2-3 days. I plan to use horn worms and superworms occasionally, mainly dubia roaches and crickets. Gut-loading with fresh veggies etc.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Rep-cal calcium, with and without d3 and rep-cal herptivite multivitamin. I’m planning on giving calcium without d3 for every feeding throughout the week then once a week alternating between the multivitamin and calcium with d3
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I was planning on just letting him drink off the leaves. I mist every morning and I have a dripper going 24/7. I haven’t seen him drink yet
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Never seen his droppings, I don’t know if he’s been tested
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Mesh on all sides, repti-breeze large
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Past owner used a T8 linear Zilla light bulb. I just bought a T5 HO linear bulb. The lights are on a timer that turn on at 8 am and off at 8 pm
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Basking spot is at 85° F, cage floor is around 75° F. Lowest overnight temp doesn’t go lower than 68° F. I measure them with a digital thermometer with a probe.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
I’m not sure what the levels are, I mist every morning and use a dripper 24/7. I don’t have anything to measure humidity levels yet.
Yes, croton and putting in a pothos soon.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
In a room with my hamster. Quiet room, one window that does not get much light.
Pennsylvania

I think this is the husbandry form? I’m not sure where to answer so I thought I’d just put it here.
Chameleon Info:
Veiled, male, 2 1/2 years old, and 2 days
Never held him yet
He hasn’t wanted to eat anything since I got him. But I’m planning on feeding him
3-5 bugs every 2-3 days. I plan to use horn worms and superworms occasionally, mainly dubia roaches and crickets. Gut-loading with fresh veggies etc.
Nothing wrong here!
Rep-cal calcium, with and without d3 and rep-cal herptivite multivitamin. I’m planning on giving calcium without d3 for every feeding throughout the week then once a week alternating between the multivitamin and calcium with d3

I was planning on just letting him drink off the leaves. I mist every morning and I have a dripper going 24/7. I haven’t seen him drink yet
I would eventually invest in a automatic mister and set it on a timer :)
Never seen his droppings, I don’t know if he’s been tested

Cage Info:
Mesh on all sides, repti-breeze large
large or x large large is 18 x 18 xl is 24x24
Past owner used a T8 linear Zilla light bulb. I just bought a T5 HO linear bulb. The lights are on a timer that turn on at 8 am and off at 8 pm
what type arcadia reflector? type of bulb 5.0 or 10 6% or 12%
Basking spot is at 85° F, cage floor is around 75° F. Lowest overnight temp doesn’t go lower than 68° F. I measure them with a digital thermometer with a probe.
Basking temps are spot on
Temps can go a lower if you like at night. Low 60s would be fine and they will benefit from the temp drop.
I’m not sure what the levels are, I mist every morning and use a dripper 24/7. I don’t have anything to measure humidity levels yet.
recommend at least 2 temp and humidity gauges. One at top near basking and one on the bottom about a foot off the floor. ;)
Yes, croton and putting in a pothos soon.
Awsome. Plants are great!
In a room with my hamster. Quiet room, one window that does not get much light.
Pennsylvania
Here you go If anyone has any improvements please chime in. Did my best!

will also add more roads for your dude! More plants never hurt either. Tend to realize my veiled likes her paths kinda clear and free of leaves sitting on her footholds. When i trim everything its awsome to see her go explore the old trails that got grown in!

One thing to add is that veileds eat fake plants, which can cause impaction and lead to death, so only veiled-tested chameleon safe plants should be used. I'd also take him to an experienced chameleon vet for a general check-up, bloodwork, x-rays, and a fecal (bring a fresh poop with you, I know it's weird 🤣 but that's how they're tested for parasites, try to drop off at least 2 more after to make sure no parasites were missed). Let us know if you want some cage set-up links, too!

Nothing wrong here!

I would eventually invest in a automatic mister and set it on a timer :)

large or x large large is 18 x 18 xl is 24x24

what type arcadia reflector? type of bulb 5.0 or 10 6% or 12%

Basking temps are spot on
Temps can go a lower if you like at night. Low 60s would be fine and they will benefit from the temp drop.

recommend at least 2 temp and humidity gauges. One at top near basking and one on the bottom about a foot off the floor. ;)

Awsome. Plants are great!

Here you go If anyone has any improvements please chime in. Did my best!
Thanks! The enclosure is a large 18x18, the bulb is a reptisun 5.0, not sure which percentage but I think 6%

Thanks! The enclosure is a large 18x18, the bulb is a reptisun 5.0, not sure which percentage but I think 6%
He'll need to be upgraded to a larger cage, a minimum of 2'x2'x4' tall, but preferably 4'x2'x4' tall or larger. If you turn off the bulb and take it out (if the info is twisted under the reflector) it'll say the brand, T5 HO, then the strength. If it says Arcadia 6% (replace it yearly) or Zoo Med 5.0 (replace it every 6 months), the distance from the UVB bulb to his basking branch should be 8-9" away if you're not measuring with a Solarmeter 6.5. Sorry, one more thing, I know you've been inundated with tons of info and feedback, but how long do you mist him for?

He'll need to be upgraded to a larger cage, a minimum of 2'x2'x4' tall, but preferably 4'x2'x4' tall or larger. If you turn off the bulb and take it out (if the info is twisted under the reflector) it'll say the brand, T5 HO, then the strength. If it says Arcadia 6% (replace it yearly) or Zoo Med 5.0 (replace it every 6 months), the distance from the UVB bulb to his basking branch should be 8-9" away if you're not measuring with a Solarmeter 6.5. Sorry, one more thing, I know you've been inundated with tons of info and feedback, but how long do you mist him for?
I don’t actually have the bulb yet, I just ordered it yesterday but it is a zoo med 5.0. The one currently being used is a T8 Zilla bulb. And I’ve only been misting him for a few seconds, I wasn’t sure how long or how often I should do it for. I also have a humidifier I can put by the enclosure if that would help

I don’t actually have the bulb yet, I just ordered it yesterday but it is a zoo med 5.0. The one currently being used is a T8 Zilla bulb. And I’ve only been misting him for a few seconds, I wasn’t sure how long or how often I should do it for. I also have a humidifier I can put by the enclosure if that would help
If it's the Zilla T8, there could be plastic casing covering the bulb, so make sure to take that off it's there until his new bulb comes in. For misting, you should do at least 2 sessions, around lights on and lights off, 2-5+ minutes each, with another one in between if humidity is too low (30-50% during the day for a veiled). If you worry he's not getting enough water, you can add a dripper in one spot of the cage where the water droplets can hit leaves near the top of the cage and down. If your humidifier is cool-mist, you can use it at night if the temps are at or lower than 65°F! You can also do short mistings during the night to raise humidity, too (it's easiest with an automated mister for that).

If it's the Zilla T8, there could be plastic casing covering the bulb, so make sure to take that off it's there until his new bulb comes in. For misting, you should do at least 2 sessions, around lights on and lights off, 2-5+ minutes each, with another one in between if humidity is too low (30-50% during the day for a veiled). If you worry he's not getting enough water, you can add a dripper in one spot of the cage where the water droplets can hit leaves near the top of the cage and down. If your humidifier is cool-mist, you can use it at night if the temps are at or lower than 65°F! You can also do short mistings during the night to raise humidity, too (it's easiest with an automated mister for that).
Thank you! That helps a lot

Back
Top Bottom