I have never seen this before. Poop question

amanda509

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - Franklin is a 4 year old veiled chameleon. I got him new years eve
Handling - Only when he was placed in his new enclosure
Feeding - Alternate between crickets and superworms. Crickets get calcium enriched quencher cubes, flukers dry cricket food, and some greens depending on whats in the fridge (mostly romaine). Supwerworms get bran, carrots, apples, and also romaine. He gets fed 4x a week, usually 4-6 large crickets, or 5 medium superworms. He eats from my hand or a cup.
Supplements - Before i had gotten him, he was given ReptoCal by tetrafauna, calcium with D3 every feeding for probably 3 of his years. (I'm surprised he doesn't have mbd, but I'm not sure how often they fed him either).I switched him to a normal schedule of stickytongue farms supplements. 2x a month calcium with D3, 2x a month vitamin, plain calcium every feeding.
Watering - I hand mist him about 4-5 times a day. I mist until everything is wet, and then some. I have never seen him drink. The cage dries out between mistings.
Fecal Description - Pictures below. Have not had him tested yet.
History - He was a college student pet his first year, then the student was going to throw him out in the Pennsylvania wilderness because he did not want him anymore, so his new owner (he was friends with this guy) took him in. This guy's mom has cared for him since.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - 2x2x4 wood with 1" screen. Plant fabric is on 2 sides and part of the back to prevent water spray, and keep humidity.
Lighting -He came with a brand new compact 10.0 repti-sun. I usually don't use compacts, but it was new, and they have used them with him the entire time they have had him. He also has a 60 watt house bulb in a dome for heat. Lights come on at 9 a.m. and off at 9p.m.
Temperature - Current temps as of right now are: basking spot is at 84, mid is 79, bottom is 75. The room is kept between 75 and 80 degrees. The temp increases a little bit during the day. The lowest overnight temp he ever went through was during the arctic freeze, and it was 65. normal night time temps are 70. Measured with a digital thermometer.
Humidity - Right now they are 50%, but increase after I mist.
Plants - He has a Pothos, and did have a large Shefflura tree, but its in rehab right now (I watered it too much -.-) so now there is just a small one. All the plants have been repotted in organic soil
Placement - The cage sits directly on the floor because it is a slanted ceiling. It is right in front of a window, he likes to bask in the morning sun, i know there's no uvb, but he still likes it.
Location - Altoona Pennsylvania

Current Problem - I came home today to find what is in the first 2 pictures. Its large, and has a white center. I'm not sure if its urate, or poo. I also attached pictures of an old poo from a couple days ago, and a urate. Everything else seems fine! I'm just a little freaked out. I also attached a pic of his face, as you can see, his eyes aren't sunken in at all, so he's not dehydrated.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 250
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 189
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 185
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 215
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
heres a pic of his cage. His large tree is rehabbing pretty fast, once it gets most of its leaves back in a week or two, its going back in there. The sparceness is temporary.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 149
It's a fried turkey leg!! :eek:

No, but really, it looks like a urate with some other stuff mixed in.

Make sure he is very well hydrated and keep an eye on his poops for a few weeks.
What did you say he has been eating?

No worries, I've seen that before. What you see is crystals on the surface of the urates. I'd make sure that guy is staying hydrated appropriately because sometimes when the body sucks as much fluid out of the urates as possible it will actually leave behind some crystalized urates. To be fair I haven't looked at them microscopically to see exactly what type of crystals they are, but I've seen in mine from time to time. It can also be more prominent if it's been a long time between poops. Sometimes one will look like that and the next one will be normal again. If it's every urate from now on then I'd be a bit more concerned and may consider bloodwork and other diagnostics to make sure kidneys are keeping up with everything.

No worries, I've seen that before. What you see is crystals on the surface of the urates. I'd make sure that guy is staying hydrated appropriately because sometimes when the body sucks as much fluid out of the urates as possible it will actually leave behind some crystalized urates. To be fair I haven't looked at them microscopically to see exactly what type of crystals they are, but I've seen in mine from time to time. It can also be more prominent if it's been a long time between poops. Sometimes one will look like that and the next one will be normal again. If it's every urate from now on then I'd be a bit more concerned and may consider bloodwork and other diagnostics to make sure kidneys are keeping up with everything.

Thank you so much! Like I said in my message, feel free to snag the pics for your poop thread ;) ill be keeping an eye on him, but so far so good! Do you think the change in supplements could have played a part?

Well, I have him hooked on drinking from a feeder syringe! So now he will for sure stay hydrated. Ferret, are the crystallized urates caused by dehydration? Or is it just a factor?

Back
Top Bottom