I had a great idea to expand into a free roam

Thanks everyone!!! That was a bit hard setting it up, even at 25 y/o it's rough on the knees being up on that dresser putting those plants up there, and putting my dude up there too!!!

I'm not very keen with finding beams to hang a tube uvb light.... can anyone tell me why we are against using the clamp type uvb lights? My mom is using one for her baby sulcata tortoises, should I tell her to get a long tube one too?

in the past the uvb bulbs were a no no but now they are getting better with putting out the uvbs that the cham needs. if you free range him when your home after school he will be fine without a uvb but he will get enough from it during the day in his cage. but if you want to free range him all the time then invest in either tube or bulb. just be carefull like others said when they want down they will get down and not worry about a 4 foot drop to get to were they want to go.

Okay great! I was just planning on letting him out when I am home because for now I don't know what needs to be Optimus proofed.

I could try to figure out where a beam is to hang one, it's just going to make a mess with the popcorn ceiling. I don't want to ask my dad where his electronic device is to find beams...he will wise up. When I was screwing in the fake vines my brother was like OMFG LINDSEY IS USING POWERTOOLS GOD SAVE US ALL!!!! 2 weeks now and Dad doesn't know he exists....bwahahahahaha. Stealth pet ftw!

I have free roamed chams before.... sheesh years ago now that I think on it.

Couple of things I learned.

- Like a parrot, keep the animal in it's cage when you are not home. This helps protect him, it also ensures he will get enough UV lighting while being pissed in his little cage.

- Put some masking tape along the top of that smooth brass curtain rod. He needs the traction and always remember a Cham goes as high up as it can so your nice vines won't get used as much as that curtain rod.

- A cham that size will lower itself by it's tail and still "let go" to get to an object within roughly 6" below it so if you want a nice free roam area you have to clear out some of the stuff below or you'll find out how far he is willing to go to drop to a new area. Also, just to be safe, make sure if he drops it's not going to be a hard landing. Trust me on that.

- Feed and water him in his cage, it's a good routine and keeps things simple.

Hope that helps.

I have some rope to wrap around that curtain pole tomorrow after I get back from classes! I dont want him slipping and falling!!

My plans exactly, free range supervised time only!!

Thank you so much for your tips!!!

From the pictures it looks like he is able to go from the curtain rod down onto a clamp or chord then to the actual fixture. Be cautious of that because of he's exploring and gets onto the dome he will seriously fry his hands. I see the plastic cup above the rod but he may very well hang upside down and go that route. Other than that is very nicely done.

Thank you! Any suggestions how to successfully block that off?? I am peering around my room for ideas!

Back
Top Bottom