I Got Bugz in My Bugz!

Klyde O'Scope

Chameleon Enthusiast
I'm guessing these were most likely in egg form in one of the last orders of Dubias.
This was a replacement foe a previous order, so the roaches were all together, in a sterilized container.
All that's gone in or out were some washed peeled baby carrots (hadn't gut loaded them yet.)
I admit I was a tad lax in their care this month—I've been pretty under the weather.

Anyhow, when I opened the container to feed them today, I was met by a swarm of flying critters,
about 1/8" long. I snapped the lid back on, and took the whole mess outside, salvaged what I could,
cleaned out the container, and it's waiting to be sterilized again.

Any ideas what these things are, and how to get rid of them permanently?
Only about half of them had wings/flew.
Those left looked like tiny grains of rice—again, about 1/8" long. There were hundreds.

1601743144877.jpeg

Well if they are not cleaned every day or every other day removing the old food you will get mold and can get other bugs like fruit flies etc... Depending on the substrate your using if any...

Did they look like flies? Because those look like maggots.

They're phorid fly maggots, they're drawn to dead roaches and decaying protein. Remove any dead roaches you see and they will slowly dwindle away. Add a CuC like isopods or lesser darkling beetles to help clean up any dead roaches

No substrate. PT & TP rolls stacked vertically. Ben doing it this way for a year now.
Never gotten mold or any other bugs.

Not flies/maggots. They're all the same size, just half had wings, so I'm deducing sexual dimorphism.

Back
Top Bottom