i freaked out

xxaprilrose

Established Member
Ok so I want to start off by saying i have severe anxiety when it comes to my chams so I always think im doing something wrong. So u dont have to tell me im crazy, i already know 😂 but I just got home from dinner at my mother in laws and I went to check on Freddy and freaked out! The way he was laying (in his normal sleeping spot) he looked like he had fallen over and one branch peirced his tummy and then a large thicker branch was stuck on his head. Immediately I was like omg I have to move him. Hes not friendly at all, hes 10 months now and just doesnt care to come out of his cage or on my arm ect. Anyways i grabbed a branch and pissed him off SOO bad but in the end i got him to move and he was fine. No damages he was just like WHY WOULD U MOVE MEEE. Its kind of sad because he clearly is way too big now for his fav sleeping spot and I think he was just trying to make it work 🥺 but now i feel better i at least moved him and hes fine but now i got anxiety thinking he hates me because he was ready for bed and i invaded his space and moved him lol. Im sure he will be fine but in the future should I have just left him? Id like to know incase it happens again. I have included pics below. The first pic is the way he was laying (trust me it looked worse in person) and also in this pic that brown branch on his head looked like it was pushing his head out in a really bad way, second pic is where i thought it pierced his tummy and third pic i took after and he was super mad. I took this pic to zoom in to make sure everything on him was good.

Attachments

• 271216948_1529495887431802_831222704875365904_n.jpg
    271216948_1529495887431802_831222704875365904_n.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 271486623_1529495880765136_4731885270068347793_n.jpg
    271486623_1529495880765136_4731885270068347793_n.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 271653474_1529494654098592_682452525332730180_n.jpg
    271653474_1529494654098592_682452525332730180_n.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 90
So u dont have to tell me im crazy, i already know 😂
U cray-cray, girl.

Reptiles can be perfectly comfortable in positions we might compare to a bed of nails.
How can this be comfortable, yet he sleeps this way almost every night of late.
1641826897083.png

Beardies & iguanas may be the most notorious for this, but there are plenty of chameleons in the game as well.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cha...UIq3IEHcZ9DzwQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1024&bih=625

I'm curious though... why did you poke him with a stick instead of touching/prompting him with a finger/hand? If somebody poked me with a stick while I was sleeping, I probably be PO'd too.

I have to 'relocate' GP almost daily, and usually a light touching/finger-brushing of his tail will do the trick. ;)

U cray-cray, girl.

Reptiles can be perfectly comfortable in positions we might compare to a bed of nails.
How can this be comfortable, yet he sleeps this way almost every night of late.
View attachment 317974

Beardies & iguanas may be the most notorious for this, but there are plenty of chameleons in the game as well.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cha...UIq3IEHcZ9DzwQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1024&bih=625

I'm curious though... why did you poke him with a stick instead of touching/prompting him with a finger/hand? If somebody poked me with a stick while I was sleeping, I probably be PO'd too.

I have to 'relocate' GP almost daily, and usually a light touching/finger-brushing of his tail will do the trick. ;)
Lol I didn’t poke him but I tried with my hand in front and he puffed up so I backed off. Last time he did this he head butted me so I didn’t want to do that so I grabbed the stick and put it in front of his front feet and moved it upwards and got him to move that way

Lol I didn’t poke him but I tried with my hand in front and he puffed up so I backed off. Last time he did this he head butted me so I didn’t want to do that so I grabbed the stick and put it in front of his front feet and moved it upwards and got him to move that way
That's fine, but being 'inconvenienced' (from your cham's POV) is being inconvenienced. He's (naturally) going to resist (get indignant) until he gets used to your machinations. In time he may actually learn to read you well enough that he'll either climb aboard your hand, or move out of your way, depending on what he thinks you're trying to do.

When you put your hand out in front, did you coax him from the other end with the other hand?

Ok so I want to start off by saying i have severe anxiety when it comes to my chams so I always think im doing something wrong. So u dont have to tell me im crazy, i already know 😂 but I just got home from dinner at my mother in laws and I went to check on Freddy and freaked out! The way he was laying (in his normal sleeping spot) he looked like he had fallen over and one branch peirced his tummy and then a large thicker branch was stuck on his head. Immediately I was like omg I have to move him. Hes not friendly at all, hes 10 months now and just doesnt care to come out of his cage or on my arm ect. Anyways i grabbed a branch and pissed him off SOO bad but in the end i got him to move and he was fine. No damages he was just like WHY WOULD U MOVE MEEE. Its kind of sad because he clearly is way too big now for his fav sleeping spot and I think he was just trying to make it work 🥺 but now i feel better i at least moved him and hes fine but now i got anxiety thinking he hates me because he was ready for bed and i invaded his space and moved him lol. Im sure he will be fine but in the future should I have just left him? Id like to know incase it happens again. I have included pics below. The first pic is the way he was laying (trust me it looked worse in person) and also in this pic that brown branch on his head looked like it was pushing his head out in a really bad way, second pic is where i thought it pierced his tummy and third pic i took after and he was super mad. I took this pic to zoom in to make sure everything on him was good.
I learned to use the 8 hour rule. if something is off with (any kind of pet)..hasn't pooped/had diarrhea, hasn't eaten, leg looks odd, water hasn't been touched, eye seems a little weepy, whatever..AND animal is showing no other signs of distress-wait 8 hours (overnight) and in almost 100% of the cases it will be totally normal! Learned this from a vet who is used to lots of anxious pet owners calling for false alarms.

Believe me a cham that is impaled would be either thrashing around or hanging limp from exhaustion.

Of course you would never ignore an emergency but this should really help you relax.

Example: Dino was gaping and my head went to RI!! OMG!!. 4 hours later he was not and I figured out I needed to dial down the basking light because the room had gotten hotter than usual.

Back
Top Bottom