I dont understand Fruit Flies

DChalo

Hey guys, i have heard a lot about babies liking fruit flies and i am confused. If you release fruit flies into their cage, wont the flies go everywhere and escape the cage? How small are they? How do you contain them?

hmm well they dont fly hence flightless fruit flies...and if you put babies in plasitc bins then that would help from flies escaping , since they shouldnt climb on smooth surfaces....hope this helps

hmm well they dont fly hence flightless fruit flies...and if you put babies in plasitc bins then that would help from flies escaping , since they shouldnt climb on smooth surfaces....hope this helps

I think the ones i saw at my pet store were tiny little dots that were held in tubes. How does that work? Do they grow in the tube or what?

The tubes usually have something for the flies to walk around on and food at the bottom. So yes, they can grow in the container and can/will multiply in the contaciner.
If you sprinkle the needed amount of flies in your cham container/cage, then your babies will be happy. If you put a piece of fruit in the cage, the flies will stay very close to the fruit.

The tubes usually have something for the flies to walk around on and food at the bottom. So yes, they can grow in the container and can/will multiply in the contaciner.
If you sprinkle the needed amount of flies in your cham container/cage, then your babies will be happy. If you put a piece of fruit in the cage, the flies will stay very close to the fruit.

How long would it take for those small little dots to become adults?

Fruit flies are small. There are two types. The Hydei fruitflies are the larger of the two ready available. They are about their maximum size once they hatch out.

Fruit flies of the flightless variety are pretty sedintary- they just kinda sit there a few minutes after you dump 'em into the cage. If they are tiny 'dots' as one put it, they are probably D. melanogaster. You want D. hydei. They are bigger, and I don't think they grow. Mine are full size when they emerge from their pupae stage. The hydei variety are just large enough so that they can't fit through screen. And though they are very small and you have to offer many of them to your chameleon for a meal of them to amount to anything, they are very easy to culture. Almost zero work. That to me makes up for their small size.

My fruit flies climb right out of anything I put them in. Very quickly too. I use them to feed mantids and if I don't cover the mantids container very quickly a good portion of the flies I poured in will be climbing out.

My fruit flies climb right out of anything I put them in. Very quickly too. I use them to feed mantids and if I don't cover the mantids container very quickly a good portion of the flies I poured in will be climbing out.

Maybe their scared of the mantids and dont want to die :D

I have to be honest they wont fly around your house but you will have a few escapees. My husband & I, especially the hubby, couldn't wait until we were done giving my cham them. The rewards for the cham were worth it & it's pretty cool to see him going after them... every entertaining to watch. The couple that might get out through seem cage spaces, such as the door frame, will ussually crawl around the outside of the cage... I would find them & throw them back in there to their death :p. All kidding aside I think my hubby thought w/ we be infested with them but they die off pretty quickly & probably days after we stopped giving them I never saw one again! Sometimes they will make it to the area where there is water such as your kitchen but not many. Like I already said though when your done giving them they will die off & not be a problem. You should try them... you cham will love them :D

I have to be honest they wont fly around your house but you will have a few escapees. My husband & I, especially the hubby, couldn't wait until we were done giving my cham them. The rewards for the cham were worth it & it's pretty cool to see him going after them... every entertaining to watch. The couple that might get out through seem cage spaces, such as the door frame, will ussually crawl around the outside of the cage... I would find them & throw them back in there to their death :p. All kidding aside I think my hubby thought w/ we be infested with them but they die off pretty quickly & probably days after we stopped giving them I never saw one again! Sometimes they will make it to the area where there is water such as your kitchen but not many. Like I already said though when your done giving them they will die off & not be a problem. You should try them... you cham will love them :D

Are they about the size of pinhead crickets?

Are they about the size of pinhead crickets?

Smaller then that from what I remember. They are just like the ones you see if you have a piece of fruit go bad except the don't fly (make sure you buy the non-flying kind). He love them so much most of them would be gone pretty quickly. They go up the side wall of the cage & your lil one will go all around eating them up. Pretty much in an hour or 2 they would be gone or nearly gone if I over did it w/ them. I would give the cricket as the first meal then as a snack a little later put in the fruit flies. I got them from the breeder who sold Diego but I've seen the in Petsmart & breeders on this forum have them for sale as well.

Back
Top Bottom