I dont think my Jackson's' foot isn't getting any better... Please help!

Sharka

So i believe it was last week that i noticed this swollen foot on my jackson's cham. I was told that it looked to be an infection and that tea tree oil would help. i've been applying it to the area twice daily since then and it seems to have a dark yellowish color to it. Is that a sign of it getting better? or is that a bad sign? i'll post a pic as soon as i can. Please Help!:(

So i believe it was last week that i noticed this swollen foot on my jackson's cham. I was told that it looked to be an infection and that tea tree oil would help. i've been applying it to the area twice daily since then and it seems to have a dark yellowish color to it. Is that a sign of it getting better? or is that a bad sign? i'll post a pic as soon as i can. Please Help!:(

Hi Sharka, I saw your posts from last week. If his foot isn't getting any better in a weeks time you had better bring him to the vet. It sounds like he has a serious infection that will not get any better unless it is treated by a professional. JMO

couldnt afford vet. took matters into my hands

so tonight i was working on hw and i noticed that the foot on my cham was leaking puss. i got the rest of the puss out and removed the hard, dead tissue. I then cleaned it out with hydrogen peroxide real good and wrapped it in a bit of gauze and medical tape. what do i do now? i cannot afford a vet. i could buy three jackson's chams with the money it takes to see a vet here. im contacting one to see if there's anything i can do here but i also would like some opinions from anyone whose been in a situation like this. please help!

I don't think anyone here can even answer your question adequately (or legally unless there are vets that read these forums!) without performing a physical exam, getting x-rays, lab work and perhaps a culture to figure out the organism causing the infection.

I find it so sad that you would consider buying more chameleons instead of just paying to take care of the animal you have. Most vets understand the money constraints most people have in taking care of their animals. My exotic vet is very upfront in how much things will cost and gives me two or three options.

Please do the right thing and take your chameleon to an exotic vet.

I find it so sad that you would consider buying more chameleons instead of just paying to take care of the animal you have.

I am not saying this at all. i am just giving an idea of the cost which i simply dont have the money for. =( i contacted my local vet to see what i could do around here and he told me that its good that i had cleaned it out and covered it to prevent further contamination. he told me to make sure it stays clean. im doing all i can for my chameleon with what i can afford. i would do more if i could but i cant.

If the infection is not cleaned out thoroughly and the chameleon put on the appropriate antibiotic there is a very good chance that the infection will spread through the chameleon's system and the chameleon will suffer and die.

if you clean it out again , i would use saline instead of hp, and flush it with a needless or curved tip dental syringe, when you wrap it, i would wrap it loosely with neosporin and sparsely with gause and maybe use thread instead of tape, so it is not completely deprived of oxygen. granted neosporin may not be the best treatment , but it is a broad spectrum antibiotic, and likely better than no antibiotic at all. you said you had a 40 watt uvb but you didnt say specifically what that was. he probably should have some D3, but i dont think that is the issue. you never really said what kind of cage he has ? hopefully not a homemade cage with galvanized wire? like kinyonga said, if it continues without improvement it will likely spread into a systemic issue, if it goes past his ankle then you you will probably have to amputate. at some point you will need to weigh his suffering against his likelyhood of improvement, and your desire to keep him alive. jmo

I'm not meaning that it will spread further up his leg...but that is also a possibility. I'm meaning that with the cleaning out process there is a good possibility that it will get into his whole system (blood, etc.) and that "part" of the infection won't be killed by the local treatment you are doing on his foot.
IMHO to have the best chance of beating this infection the chameleon needs an oral/injected antibiotic that will kill whatever bacteria is involved.

I wonder if you can't talk to your humane society and see if there are any programs in place to help? I believe that some have some ways to help out with food and medical care if you can't afford it, but it might be worth asking? And if not, talk to your vet and see if you can come to any payment plan to stretch out the treatment? Just suggestions, trying to see what can be done to help.

Back
Top Bottom