I didn’t know!

Lindasjackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
That I needed a bucket for the mist king! I thought it came with everything. Another trip to the hardware store! What kind of bucket do you all use? I dont want to have to go back and forth 3-4 more times!

I use a dog food container.... Works great and seals on top also easier to mount the adapter to it since it is a rectangle instead of a circle. Make sure you have the drill bit size they recommend for a perfect seal. This one holds 2 gallons of water.

IMG_2586.jpg

I’ve never used a drill in my life! I do have one though. I thought I’d be able to just set it up and it would go. Maybe I should stick to hand misting.🤨

I’ve never used a drill in my life! I do have one though. I thought I’d be able to just set it up and it would go. Maybe I should stick to hand misting.🤨
Trust me you want to do this. It is easy easy. When I got mine it called for this drill bit. You just put the drill bit in your drill. Tighten it down so it is secure. Push it to the surface and with gentle pressure drill through.

IMG_2588.jpg

Be an can I also use this drill bit to make a hole in my enclosure floor for drainage or should I make several smaller holes?

@Lindasjackson just wanted to throw this out there - give THIS video a watch for sure:

How to set up the MistKing timer

I got everything out of the box today. I went to go set up the digital timer but found it largely confusing. There will be a timer set up that looks like this:

0:00oo 0:00oo

You can set which days you want the mister to go off, or select “week” to have it go off at the same time of day every day of the week. I was trying to set up my morning misting schedule, and I had the timer looking like this:

7:30oo AM 7:32oo AM

Turns out, that is exactly what you DO NOT WANT. The way I had it set up above meant the MistKing would have gone off for 7 hours and 30 minutes (talk about making your landlord unhappy). Check out the video! @Gingero explains how to set up the timer in a way that‘s super easy to understand and do yourself.

Oh, I also use a 1.5 gallon plastic container that once held Chex mix in it before my fiancé ate it all. A 5 gallon bucket would work, sure.. but honestly? Use what you have! If you have any empty gallon jugs of milk or drinking water, start with that. Just run the tube through the opening at the top.

Thanks planet remulak!

No problem at all, you were the first one I thought of when I realized I was seconds away from drowning my chameleon and destroying our floor, haha! We’re just trying to keep chameleons hydrated here, definitely not trying to p*ss off any landlords or flood out any rooms 😂)

Lolol! Yes this is true! I watched the video. I’m so glad you told me because I would have set it the same way you were going to!😅

For a reservoir, I use a 4 gal. bin from a dollar store. Because it's an orthotope, I built a simple stand to tilt it so (most of) the bottom 2" of water gets used. Whatever you use should have a cover to prevent contamination/debris in your misting water.

1625321983943.png

I also used a very short piece of tubing to attach the filter to the inside of the bulkhead.

1625321940762.png

Effluent drains into a std. 5 gal. bucket.

1625322189934.png

I agree setting up the timer was the worst part, but once done it's done, and it will retain programming though short power outages. I also coordinated misting with the lights so I never have to worry about clock changes twice a year.

As far as number and duration of misting sessions...
When I first set up the MK, I pressed the button in the upper righthand corner, which manually overrides programming and mists for as long as you depress the button. I ran it until everything in the enclosure was wet, and water began to run down the drain. Any longer than that just wastes expensive distilled or RO water, IMO. (Do NOT use tap or filtered water—calcium is the enemy to these systems.)

In my enclosure, this took exactly 2 minutes, so all my misting sessions are 2 minutes duration.

Number of 2 minute sessions:
I also kept track of how long it took for my enclosure to dry out after misting—3 hrs.
I don't use a dripper, and I want there (almost) always to be drinking water available, so I set up sessions at:
  • 6am (lights-on)
  • Noon
  • 6pm (lights off)
  • 9pm
  • Midnight
  • 3am
This timing arrangement also (coincidentally) keeps my enclosure cooler—and at proper humidity—at night.

YMMV.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom