I cant tell If she likes her new cage i built

luke189

So I had a small cage for my little Sobe. and I cant tell if she likes her new cage.it is bigger and not glass its is a screen with a plexi glass door. When she sees me she goes straight for the glass and will not stop trying to get out and if I leave she just keeps trying to get out... So i thought she didn't like the new carpet i put in the bottom, but she still try's to get out. so i took out some sticks thinking there were to many sticks..................the first cage is the one she was in and the other is the one i built.

Attachments

• IMAGE_107.jpg
    IMAGE_107.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMAGE_108.jpg
    IMAGE_108.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMAGE_109.jpg
    IMAGE_109.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 106
Well you shouldn't have glass around the chameleon AT ALL! so lose the plexi glass door an re-place it with wire mesh. Don't use the carpet because you have to mist the chameleon daily so if water hits the carpet it can create mold and mold will kill your chameleon. Lay down newspaper for the substrate like there not even walking on the carpet anyway so it basically useless an dangerous. The carpet should be used for bearded dragons because you dont mis them. So take out plexi glass door use wire mesh insted. Use newpaper because it is safe an easy to clean.

If I could make a suggestion to you it would be to add more plants, more coverage for her.. It is kinda bare. One nice big live plant would probably be sufficient. What size is that cage? Your cham looks large and that cage still seems kinda small. What did you have her in before that? The suggested size for an adult panther or veild is 24 X 24 X 48 or I have mine in a 36 X 30 X 18 and I also have a free range area and a large outdoor cage for my cham. Maybe it is just the picture but it still looks small to me for an adult. Regardless of size it looks like you did a very nice job on the build!!

Last edited:
glass is fine around chams as long as your lights are not going through glass, the glass cuts out the uvb rays that u want. the main reason that mesh is so popular is that it is light and cheap.

Don't worry about the glass door. If the sides are screen then she's getting more than sufficient ventillation.

I agree with Carol, shes a bit big for that cage and it's pretty bare. She might be scratching to get out because there's not much for her to climb around in the cage. Add another plant and more vines/branches and see if she calms down a bit.

However, how old is she? Is she around 6 months old? She may also be scratching because she has eggs.

Thanks!

The cage is all mesh except the door and has nice smooth edges. what kind of plant should i get? the cage is 22 x 22 x 30. so i think its big enough. i just cant figure out y she wants out all the time. every time i open the door she wants to just climb all over me and doesnt want to go back in her cage i have a small water fall. and i did have more plants and sticks. but maybe ill try a live plant. what would be the best plant to buy?

Hibiscus is great for veileds as they eat foliage. Or a schefflerra is a good choice. Nice thick stems for climbing and nice big leaves for drinking off of.

No I don't have anything for her to lay eggs in. she is on the floor of the cage a lot. should I consider getting some sand or what would she lay eggs in if she were prego? and thanks everyone for the advice I really appreciate it. and she is really colorful lately.. shoot she just might be prego. Ive only had her about a month now from the pet store now

humm

well the thing is, is that this is her first week in this new cage. and her old cage was way smaller it is the glass one i took a pic of. so i thought she would be really happy in her new one. but i might just have to add on to it...... and what is free ranging?

She would need somewhere to lay that is at least 12" tall and just as wide/deep. I used ecoearth in mine, but washed playsand will do the trick as well. You will need to moisten it to where you can dig a tunnel to the bottom without it collapsing, but not super wet. And if you see/hear her digging in it, don't watch her working (and don't let her see YOU!) because she might become agitated and abandon laying altogether.

If your cage isn't big enough to fit a laying bin this big, you can try this. (I've neer done this test bin myself, but I hear other people have used this successfully) Put something smaller in the cage as a test bin where if you see her digging if she is interested in laying. If you see her doing that, transfer her into her real laying bin. I personally use a kitchen trash can (black) and fill it up 12" high, and when I saw that my female needed to lay but she wouldn't go into it on her own I put her in it with no way out. Because it's very tall she couldn't climb out and after 10-15 minutes of trying to get out she started laying eggs. 24 hours later she had laid 35 eggs! So you can put her in something like that in a quiet place of your house and see if she gets to work.

I also recommend reading this blog (http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html) because it might help you keeping her from producing eggs or as many eggs in the future, hopefully extending your female's life :)

And I think that's all the info I can think to give lol I hope it helps!

Back
Top Bottom