I am still in shock!

reptoman

Avid Member
I stayed up late last night to finish watching a movie and was locking up the back door and noticed some unusual bright spots out of the corner of my eye in our pygmy viv. I got my led flashlight out and could not believe what I found! There were 3 brev babies hugging some branches sleeping away. I did not even think we had a male in our group! I was not sure if they were in danger of predation by the parents so I moved them to a small exo i have.
I would appreciate any advice for keeping these tiny ones healthy. I am going to get another 12x12x18 exo today and some small trees from the bonzai place. I have melanogasters and fruitflies for our baby panthers so plenty of tiny neonate food. Anything else? thanks in advance!

Attachments

• pygbaby2_072713_1.jpg
    pygbaby2_072713_1.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 191
  • pygbaby1_072713_1.jpg
    pygbaby1_072713_1.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 167
  • pyg_072713_8.jpg
    pyg_072713_8.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 180
Congrats, If im remembering properly member " ferritinmyshoes " has a ton of great info on these lil guys. :)

Thanks everyone! I pm'd ferret and ataraxia with specific questions so should get the info needed for these guys. They are eating like the little pygs they are! looks like pinhead crix are the perfect size. These are 1/2 the size of a panther neonate but so expressive at the same time. The color and pattern changes are so cool. I am beyond thrilled today!

Awesome and congrats!! Amazing how tiny they are isn't it?! It's a good thing you moved them asap as I had a mama try to eat a baby and kill it. :( I start off with mine on flightless fruit flies, but if they're eating pinheads that's great too. In my experience they do not need UVB, but they do need calcium dusting 2-3 times a week. That was enough to prevent any signs of MBD and they thrived. I still have one of my babies, now a mama herself. I kept them in the mid 70s and misted the cage 2-3 times daily so they could drink their fill. I fed them twice daily until they were about 2 months old about 10 ff each at least. At around 3 months old they started eating the next size up crickets.

Congrats again, I'm happy to offer any more advice!

Awesome and congrats!! Amazing how tiny they are isn't it?! It's a good thing you moved them asap as I had a mama try to eat a baby and kill it. :( I start off with mine on flightless fruit flies, but if they're eating pinheads that's great too. In my experience they do not need UVB, but they do need calcium dusting 2-3 times a week. That was enough to prevent any signs of MBD and they thrived. I still have one of my babies, now a mama herself. I kept them in the mid 70s and misted the cage 2-3 times daily so they could drink their fill. I fed them twice daily until they were about 2 months old about 10 ff each at least. At around 3 months old they started eating the next size up crickets.

Congrats again, I'm happy to offer any more advice!

Perfect! I think I will be able to follow those instructions. This is the 2nd unexpected baby incident in 2 weeks! Good thing I am already geared up for neonate care.
Thanks Dayna!

They are so small and cute! :)

They are. It was so funny when I dragged my wife Terry into the room to look in there she could not comprehend what she was looking at. She looked at me and said why are there babies in there? Then the realization of what was going on and the freakout happened. hilarious!

Thank you! Still can't stop looking at them. Today is going to be wasted on staring into a tiny viv.....

Just happened to be picking up another Panther female from Brian today so I got to see these is person, it is astonishing how small they are. They are literally smaller than an adult cricket. Too cool, congrats again Brian!

I cannot believe how tiny(and cute) they are! You can really tell the size by the second pic. They are a little bigger than the finger nails! I hope they do well for you! I would be a nervous wreck trying to raise those little things! Good luck with them!

They are a little bigger than the finger nails! I hope they do well for you! I would be a nervous wreck trying to raise those little things! Good luck with them!

Congrats! So was the female maybe gravid before obtaining? Or at this point it had to have been a male with her if you've had her for so long?

And I agree with Carol, can't imagine even trying to find them on a regular basis inside the enclosure.

Congrats! So was the female maybe gravid before obtaining? Or at this point it had to have been a male with her if you've had her for so long?

And I agree with Carol, can't imagine even trying to find them on a regular basis inside the enclosure.

I put them in a small exo so they are easy to find. We got these in Oct 2012 and it was supposed to be a 1.3 group of R. Spectrum. It turned out to be 1.0 temporalis and 1.2 R. Brevicaudatus (sp?) At least thats what Trace told me when I posted pics the day they arrived. I dont know the incubation period for these once the eggs are laid so that could shed some light on where the babies came from. CH or CB. The only male died a month ago so I only have the 2 females left.

Thanks for all the congrats! Sadly, we lost one of the 3 yesterday. The remaining 2 look great and are eating and drinking really well.

Back
Top Bottom