I am new here and eager to learn! Here are some pis of my new baby Veiled Chams!

I am using Zoo meds 100W Repti Baskin Spot lamp which states Double reflector design focuses 35% more light and provides beneficial UVA/UVB rays his is 150 watt

and the male has a different one but says the same thing /his though is a 150 watt I am looking for the box for his.http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752666

Those wattages are intense, especially at the distances you have them placed. If you read the chart at the link you provided, the 150w at 18 inches is like 120 degrees. You want like an 85 degree basking. Your guy is getting cooked right now.

You cannot buy UVB lights at Home Depot or Lowes. You need to purchase them from a Reptile or Pet store, and online they are about 1/2 the price. It is essential to have the correct kind of lighting, and as much as I would love to have compact UVB-we are still finding them to cause issues with eyes. Better safe than sorry.
I would get a Reptisun linear tube 5.0-or a Reptiglo 5.0 linear tube-I also use those with no issues, and then place a regular 60 watt lightbulb (or any lightbulb that gets your temps where you need them), and make sure you have a functioning digital thermometer so you are 100% sure of your temps.

I am using the bulb version not the coil. But I will go out again today and buy another lamp and uvb build they are not having any issues just don’t understand why I have to buy now a tubular 5.0 with the hood when the bulbs I am using already give them the same as the tubular hooded version which omits heat and Uva/uvb rays and the temps are perfect as well as humidity in the cages.

see i couldnt even find a bulb that did uvb rays around me! all they had was the coils which i though was ok until I got on here and read all the info and saw how my Chameleon acts. I have a 60watt bulb for heat and that lets off alot i finally got it right to where my basking spot is at 79-81 and its about 75 throught the rest of the cage So I would think a 100watt or 150watt is way to much esp if they are young!

I know its very overwhelming I'm new to this too and I read up on them for like 3 months before i got one, ordered their cage set it all up THEN went and got them, got on here only to find out I was doing everything wrong!! I bought a book read all kinds of stuff on care and nope! Truthfully I will listen to these people before the books I read because every Chameleon is different and experience is knowledge and even some of the other new people like us on here have some great ideas!!!! Hope everything works out I cant wait to see some more pictures!!

I forgot to add that I have Panthers and they are 2 months old, I dont know what the temps of a veilds should be not trying to say that I do before anyone jumps on me but I would think no matter what kind it is in that size cage that those bulbs are to much.

Where do you live does it stay really cold in your house is that why you went with the higher wattage???

Ok so I am back from a 150.00 day bought the Repti sun bulbs which are high dollar as most of you know and the lamps. I also bought some super worms and fruit fly that cant actually fly but my female loved them she was all over them after I placed the container lid on a branch of her Gardenia. So long story short just awaiting for my weeping willows and bamboo sticks to come via mail which will be sometime next week.

I have a large and medium cage set up they both stay around 75-80 degrees f. at night since my house gets cold and is large I turn the heat on at around 73 at night when I wake up to turn their lights on they’re cage is around close to 60 sometimes at 70.

Those wattages are intense, especially at the distances you have them placed. If you read the chart at the link you provided, the 150w at 18 inches is like 120 degrees. You want like an 85 degree basking. Your guy is getting cooked right now.

well to be honest with you can not make the lamp stand any higher that it is but I do have a lower wattage bulb that my female has. my theometer says other wise as far as the habitat temps ?????:confused:but I can change the bulb. Also he has a distance of almost 12 inches from the basking light.

You don't mention gutloading/feeding the insects or supplementing...here's some information that might help...

Exposure to proper UVB, appropriate temperatures, supplements, a supply of well-fed/gutloaded insects, water and an appropriate cage set-up are all important for the well-being of your chameleon.

Appropriate cage temperatures aid in digestion and thus play a part indirectly in nutrient absorption. Temperatures needed can vary with the species.

Exposure to UVB from either direct sunlight or a proper UVB light allows the chameleon to produce D3 so that it can use the calcium in its system to make/keep the bones strong and be used in other systems in the chameleon as well. The UVB should not pass through glass or plastic no matter whether its from the sun or the UVB light. The most often recommended UVB light is the long linear fluorescent Repti-sun 5.0 tube light. Some of the compacts, spirals and tube lights have caused health issues, but so far there have been no bad reports against this one.

Since many of the feeder insects have a poor ratio of calcium to phosphorus in them, its important to dust the insects just before you feed them to the chameleon at most feedings with a phos.-free calcium powder to help make up for it. (I use Rep-cal phosphorus-free calcium).

If you also dust twice a month with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder it will ensure that your chameleon gets some D3 without overdoing it. It leaves the chameleon to produce the rest of what it needs through its exposure to the UVB light. D3 from supplements can build up in the system but D3 produced from exposure to UVB shouldn't as long as the chameleon can move in and out of it. (I use Rep-cal phos.-free calcium/D3).

Dusting twice a month as well with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A will ensure that the chameleon gets some vitamins without the danger of overdosing the vitamin A. PrEformed sources of vitamin A can build up in the system and may prevent the D3 from doing its job and push the chameleon towards MBD. However, there is controversy as to whether all/any chameleons can convert the beta carotene and so some people give some prEformed vitamin A once in a while. (I use herptivite.)

Gutloading/feeding the insects well helps to provide what the chameleon needs. I gutload crickets, roaches, locusts, superworms, etc. with an assortment of greens (dandelions, kale, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, zucchini, etc.)

Calcium, phos., D3 and vitamin A are important players in bone health and other systems in the chameleon (muscles, etc.) and they need to be in balance. When trying to balance them, you need to look at the supplements, what you feed the insects and what you feed the chameleon.

Here are some good sites for you to read...
http://chameleonnews.com/07FebWheelock.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200605020...Vitamin.A.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200406080...d.Calcium.html
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/
http://web.archive.org/web/200601140...ww.adcham.com/
Yes your right I did not mention that,(no one asked until now) but I am gut loading the crickets etc I have purchased everything except for what I bought today. Thanks.

Ok so I am back from a 150.00 day bought the Repti sun bulbs which are high dollar as most of you know and the lamps. I also bought some super worms and fruit fly that cant actually fly but my female loved them she was all over them after I placed the container lid on a branch of her Gardenia. So long story short just awaiting for my weeping willows and bamboo sticks to come via mail which will be sometime next week.

I havent tried the flys yet I am scred they will end up all over my house! but it seems they are a fav of alot of chameleons so I feel like I am depriving mine of great stuff! I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and buy some!

My house has central air/heat so it is constantly at a controlled temp.(we keep the AC low 70's in the summer) So I have to use a 100 watt bulb, If i use anything less than that i cannot acheive adequate temps. This keeps to basking areas for me exactly where they should be. However, I make sure that no branches are directly under the lamp, I just offset them a bit, because yes a 100watt bulb is very hot and if the chams are to close they can get burnt. I put my thermometer on the basking spots just to be sure. However, thats what works for me.

My house has central air/heat so it is constantly at a controlled temp.(we keep the AC low 70's in the summer) So I have to use a 100 watt bulb, If i use anything less than that i cannot acheive adequate temps. This keeps to basking areas for me exactly where they should be. However, I make sure that no branches are directly under the lamp, I just offset them a bit, because yes a 100watt bulb is very hot and if the chams are to close they can get burnt. I put my thermometer on the basking spots just to be sure. However, thats what works for me.

I agree thanks I felt like I was getting beat up a little! My house also has central Ac/Heat and it is always cooler in my sitting room (my woman cave as my DH puts it) right now it only 69 in here! I am cold lol! But my temps are fine.:D I have invested a lot of time research and money into this I am determined not to fail. I have two african grey congas to that are very high maintenance I have had them since they were babies and now they are 4 years old already. So I understand that this is a very high maintenance hobby. I live in Northern VA (NOVA)

I agree thanks I felt like I was getting beat up a little! My house also has central Ac/Heat and it is always cooler in my sitting room (my woman cave as my DH puts it) right now it only 69 in here! I am cold lol! But my temps are fine.:D I have invested a lot of time research and money into this I am determined not to fail. I have two african grey congas to that are very high maintenance I have had them since they were babies and now they are 4 years old already. So I understand that this is a very high maintenance hobby. I live in Northern VA (NOVA)

thats why I asked if you were in a cold area and that was the reason for the higher bulb!? If you've got your temps right then you've adjusted everything good then great. I to have cental heat and air and I havent been running it and its getting down to 64 in my house at night. please dont feel like I was attacking you I just read what you wrote and offered what i learned adjusting and setting lights :)

thats why I asked if you were in a cold area and that was the reason for the higher bulb!? If you've got your temps right then you've adjusted everything good then great. I to have cental heat and air and I havent been running it and its getting down to 64 in my house at night. please dont feel like I was attacking you I just read what you wrote and offered what i learned adjusting and setting lights :)

No Problem, I understand. Our temps here in NOVA still drop sometime below 40 lately and even though I control the heat at night it is turned off in the daytime.

Yea I know what you mean, I have a reptarium right now which I just hate, so i had to order a new alumin screen cage. I also bought a UVB fixture that didnt reflect alot of light downward into the cage so I had to go out and buy a new one of those lol. So I know how you feel about everything. I also have 2 dogs (a 5yr old beagle and a 12 week old siberian husky, who by the way takes up most of my time lol) but I would have it no other way.

Back
Top Bottom