I adopted a Veiled, help with a few questions!

quick question. How often do Veiled Chams shed?

Kamo had a shed 2 weeks ago(10-16-11), and it seems he is shedding again today. Is this normal?

Dont look damaged or anything, Just looks like a normal shed AGAIN.

What I have seen here on the forums is babies can shed every few weeks since they grow mighty fast- Up the misting to help them out. As they get to the adult age they shed less often and can do just one body part at a time, unlike the babes that strip completely

He'll shed any time he needs to. When young, they shed very often, but as they grow up, the time between sheds increases. Probably he's shedding older skin that he wasnt able to before because of lack of humidity or any other factor. I wouldnt worry about extra shedding.
Sometimes they shed by parts too. First the head, then some time later the body, then the tail, then the feet.

As long ss your humidity is like 60% +, you shouldnt have a problem with stuck shed.

quick question. How often do Veiled Chams shed?

Kamo had a shed 2 weeks ago(10-16-11), and it seems he is shedding again today. Is this normal?

Dont look damaged or anything, Just looks like a normal shed AGAIN.

He'll shed any time he needs to. When young, they shed very often, but as they grow up, the time between sheds increases. Probably he's shedding older skin that he wasnt able to before because of lack of humidity or any other factor. I wouldnt worry about extra shedding.
Sometimes they shed by parts too. First the head, then some time later the body, then the tail, then the feet.

As long ss your humidity is like 60% +, you shouldnt have a problem with stuck shed.

Thanks guys. I think it was a 1/2 shed from the previous shed.

In other news. I was down to my last 4 Dubias (1 Adult Male, 2 Adult Females, and 1 1" Sub Adult.)

Well i woke up this morning and there are now 15 or so baby Dubias running around in the bin. lol:eek:

just a quick question i was looking at your pics and it almost looks like your cage is made of glass not screened? or is that just the way it comes up in the pictures? if it is glass isn't that dangerous? or is it different for veils then panthers?

just a quick question i was looking at your pics and it almost looks like your cage is made of glass not screened? or is that just the way it comes up in the pictures? if it is glass isn't that dangerous? or is it different for veils then panthers?

What you've probably heard are the myths about glass cages. They are only half-truths. Glass cages such as exo-terras are acceptable as an enclosure for veileds and panthers and other chameleons as well. The biggest concern is airflow, but these have been designed to provide that. You can see the holes below the door, and the screen above. Using the simple fact that hot air rises, all the air warmed up by the light goes up and sucks in fresh air through the holes on the bottom. Thus, you get no stagnant airflow.

The biggest problem with these cages is finding an appropriate size for the type of chameleon you want. No impossible, but it can get pretty expensive. Kinyonga has been keeping veileds in glass enclosures for many years successfully.

Dont believe all you read on the internet ;)

And btw, the OP is upgrading his to a bigger cage.

Sell below. I will be upgrading to a much larger full screen cage soon. I actually have a small "puller" exhaust fan that sits on the screen top to help with ventilation on my current set up, it kills humidity though so i have to mist often with warm water. My viv is a 24" x 24" x 36". Aside from the fact that it could use some height it's been ok (for now).

What you've probably heard are the myths about glass cages. They are only half-truths. Glass cages such as exo-terras are acceptable as an enclosure for veileds and panthers and other chameleons as well. The biggest concern is airflow, but these have been designed to provide that. You can see the holes below the door, and the screen above. Using the simple fact that hot air rises, all the air warmed up by the light goes up and sucks in fresh air through the holes on the bottom. Thus, you get no stagnant airflow.

The biggest problem with these cages is finding an appropriate size for the type of chameleon you want. No impossible, but it can get pretty expensive. Kinyonga has been keeping veileds in glass enclosures for many years successfully.

Dont believe all you read on the internet ;)

And btw, the OP is upgrading his to a bigger cage.

^^ This!!:D

So lastnight Kamo was begging to be taken out. My wife took him out and sat next to me on the couch while i did some work on the computer. He freely moved back and forth between my wife and i before setteling down on my wife's hand. I noticed he layed snug (belly flat ) to her hand but didn't think nothing of it.

Well about 20 minutes later he still had not moved. I got a pat on the shoulder from my wife and her pointing for me to "look at Kamo"!

He was fast asleep on her arm. Eyes shut and all!! lol:eek:

Has anyone ever had this happen before , where a Cham fell asleep on them? (granted this was a little on the late side of the day, it was 9pm and the lights in the living room were dim)

I have a video, i'll post later! I had her "put him to bed after that". He went straight to his "sleeping spot" and went back to sleeping.

So lastnight Kamo was begging to be taken out. My wife took him out and sat next to me on the couch while i did some work on the computer. He freely moved back and forth between my wife and i before setteling down on my wife's hand. I noticed he layed snug (belly flat ) to her hand but didn't think nothing of it.

Well about 20 minutes later he still had not moved. I got a pat on the shoulder from my wife and her pointing for me to "look at Kamo"!

Has anyone ever had this happen before , where there Cham fell asleep on them? (granted this was a little on the late side of the day, it was 9pm and the lights in the living room were dim)

I have a video, i'll post later! I had her "put him to bed after that". He went straight to his "sleeping spot" and went back to sleeping.

Whaaat, that is pretty sweet dude.. Jealous lol.. my veiled will not let me even touch him, he'll never fall asleep on me lol

Has anyone ever had this happen before , where a Cham fell asleep on them? (granted this was a little on the late side of the day, it was 9pm and the lights in the living room were dim)

Aww how sweet, sounds like you have a friendly wee guy. My female will fall a sleep on me but my male wont, nothing more cute then a sleeping chameleon.

Whaaat, that is pretty sweet dude.. Jealous lol.. my veiled will not let me even touch him, he'll never fall asleep on me lol

Well if it helps, he seems to favor my wife over me! lol

pix vvv I'll load the video when i get home.

Attachments

• Kamo Sleeping.jpg
    Kamo Sleeping.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 143
Aww how sweet, sounds like you have a friendly wee guy. My female will fall a sleep on me but my male wont, nothing more cute then a sleeping chameleon.

He's about 9 months old. When I first got him about 2 months ago he wasnt this friendly. Took some time to get him to where he is right now. He just seems to favor my wife more. She had him the other day on her head and I put my hand out for him and he hissed at me! Lol

He's about 9 months old. When I first got him about 2 months ago he wasnt this friendly. Took some time to get him to where he is right now. He just seems to favor my wife more. She had him the other day on her head and I put my hand out for him and he hissed at me! Lol

He's like "this is my lady now you back off" lol :p

Soo I got Kamo 3 Hornworms yesterday. They are all in his cage ( been there for over 3 hours now) and he has not touched them. One actually walked towards him and he backed off. Lmaoo!

VeiledChams. Hey , I tried! Lol! I'm a lil glad that he didn't take to them.

On the other hand , you think you know someone and then they throw you a curveball. I put Kamo in his freerange tree and I put the Hornworms on it also . Well he ignored them! I was trying to get them off the tree with a Q-tip ( some grip these things have ). My wife came out if nowhere and straight grabbed it by HAND!! :-o ( I look at her in a whole new light now)

Soo I got Kamo 3 Hornworms yesterday. They are all in his cage ( been there for over 3 hours now) and he has not touched them. One actually walked towards him and he backed off. Lmaoo!

VeiledChams. Hey , I tried! Lol! I'm a lil glad that he didn't take to them.

On the other hand , you think you know someone and then they throw you a curveball. I put Kamo in his freerange tree and I put the Hornworms on it also . Well he ignored them! I was trying to get them off the tree with a Q-tip ( some grip these things have ). My wife came out if nowhere and straight grabbed it by HAND!! :-o ( I look at her in a whole new light now)

hahahaha.. Man, your wife showed you the way to do it!

Sucks that he didnt take the hornworms.. but I guess for you its cool

Back
Top Bottom