I’m super confused! A baby?

Rst_Cham

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I have one female brown anole. I’ve had her for at least six months, and she has a bio active vivarium all to herself since I haven’t been able to find another at the reptile shops in my area (they’re just sold as snake food here). I have giant canyon isopods and spring tails as CuC. Today, I go to feed her and she’s basking like normal except on the branch next to her is a tiny version of her! So, she laid an egg(s) at some point underground? And it actually incubated and hatched under there? My CuC wouldn’t have eaten any eggs? Or maybe they don’t lay underground? I do have bromeliads and orchid plants in with her so maybe she laid her egg on a plant. I’m going to have to research it, just wanted to share my super cool surprise, I’m beyond thrilled!

Attachments

• CA7399F0-83DD-47B4-9262-BBFB87096992.jpeg
    CA7399F0-83DD-47B4-9262-BBFB87096992.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 116
  • FB3187A2-3BEF-4111-8CB1-E2D0F764A9CC.jpeg
    FB3187A2-3BEF-4111-8CB1-E2D0F764A9CC.jpeg
    355.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 91F983DB-B575-4F4F-A169-5222DE004F47.jpeg
    91F983DB-B575-4F4F-A169-5222DE004F47.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 108
Ok Robin I feel like I am playing wheres waldo... So the first pic and the third pic is that mom or the baby? I can't find anyone else in those two pics. Now the second pic I have been staring at for a good 5 minutes and can not find any anoles... Help a girl out lol

Lol Becca! I guess I should have labeled/referenced them! First pic is mom, second pic is part of viv (just included as reference so maybe someone could tell me how this happened), third pic is baby face.

I’m not sure what baby has been eating. Baby isopods? Soil gnats? The crickets/flies I’ve been feeding mom are too big for it. I’m not even sure how old it is. I wonder if I should put some baby snails in there for it?

Lol Becca! I guess I should have labeled/referenced them! First pic is mom, second pic is part of viv (just included as reference so maybe someone could tell me how this happened), third pic is baby face.

I’m not sure what baby has been eating. Baby isopods? Soil gnats? The crickets/flies I’ve been feeding mom are too big for it. I’m not even sure how old it is. I wonder if I should put some baby snails in there for it?
sweet lord, ok thank you... I did not think anyone was in the second pic but yes I kept looking while waiting for your reply. :hilarious: I am guessing it is going after your clean up crew. Might want to add some smaller feeders for the lil bit.

sweet lord, ok thank you... I did not think anyone was in the second pic but yes I kept looking while waiting for your reply. :hilarious: I am guessing it is going after your clean up crew. Might want to add some smaller feeders for the lil bit.
Haha, Sorry about that!

I think I’ll add some tiny baby snails, and I also have tiny baby silks right now plus I might have some baby crickets that are small enough. I have lots of baby roaches but I think they are too big. Thanks!

lol how cute!!! well, now my question is, are anoles like chameleons in which they retain sperm and if they do... how many babies could actually be in there?!

lol how cute!!! well, now my question is, are anoles like chameleons in which they retain sperm and if they do... how many babies could actually be in there?!
I just found two more in there that are significantly smaller, they look brand new! Yikes! Well now I need to go buy a fruit fly culture I guess.

This is so cool! I have brown anoles outback, I call them my “wildlings” lol. I have been able to feed them small silks and beetle larvae.

Edit: “Roach” the mom is an egg laying machine lol. I’ve noticed only the female babies have stuck around. This past summer I had about 5 babies but only 2 stuck around.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 84
So I just googled and it said that female brown anoles during warm months will lay a single egg in moist soil or rotting wood in 14 day intervals.... And that they take 30-45 days to hatch even in laboratory conditions. And then on another site it said they can retain sperm for 7 months. Incubating at about 80 degrees. And it says baby crickets, springtails, and flightless fruit flies for feeders giving an abundance of food. spraying leaves so there are water droplets for the babies to drink. The adults can eat the babies! AHHHHHHHHHHH

So sounds similar to raising baby chams... Except it does not appear that hatching them is all that difficult but keeping them alive with the right feeders and enough food and misting on the plants and keeping the mother from eating them. hmmmm... So you could have more babies in your future.

So I just googled and it said that female brown anoles during warm months will lay a single egg in moist soil or rotting wood in 14 day intervals.... And that they take 30-45 days to hatch even in laboratory conditions. And then on another site it said they can retain sperm for 7 months. Incubating at about 80 degrees. And it says baby crickets, springtails, and flightless fruit flies for feeders giving an abundance of food. spraying leaves so there are water droplets for the babies to drink. The adults can eat the babies! AHHHHHHHHHHH

So sounds similar to raising baby chams... Except it does not appear that hatching them is all that difficult but keeping them alive with the right feeders and enough food and misting on the plants and keeping the mother from eating them. hmmmm... So you could have more babies in your future.
Oh no! I was thrilled with one but now I suddenly have three! Hopefully there won’t be anymore because my tank is ideal but not big enough for a whole colony! They’ll have to take their chances with mom, I don’t have another setup. Well, off to buy fruit flies. Thanks Becca!

This is so cool! I have brown anoles outback, I call them my “wildlings” lol. I have been able to feed them small silks and beetle larvae.

Edit: “Roach” the mom is an egg laying machine lol. I’ve noticed only the female babies have stuck around. This past summer I had about 5 babies but only 2 stuck around.
Are you in Florida?! That’s so cool! Love your pictures. I wish I lived somewhere where we had cool native wildlife. I get coyotes, raccoons, deer in my yard but no reptiles!

Oh no! I was thrilled with one but now I suddenly have three! Hopefully there won’t be anymore because my tank is ideal but not big enough for a whole colony! They’ll have to take their chances with mom, I don’t have another setup. Well, off to buy fruit flies. Thanks Becca!
7 months of retained sperm... A mom living in a perfect warm environment... I would expect her to lay until she is done every 14 days. With a new baby popping up every 30-45 days! Holy hell... Like you could have an army of anoles :hilarious: Maybe this is why you could not find a friend for her. She had plans of her own :LOL:

Saw a cool trick that Bill Strand does with flightless fruit flies and babies. Cut out pieces of egg cart. Put a slice of banana in the egg holder then dump your flightless flies in there they will stay in that area because of the banana. Then place a few feeding stations in plants or branches for them.

7 months of retained sperm... A mom living in a perfect warm environment... I would expect her to lay until she is done every 14 days. With a new baby popping up every 30-45 days! Holy hell... Like you could have an army of anoles :hilarious: Maybe this is why you could not find a friend for her. She had plans of her own :LOL:

Saw a cool trick that Bill Strand does with flightless fruit flies and babies. Cut out pieces of egg cart. Put a slice of banana in the egg holder then dump your flightless flies in there they will stay in that area because of the banana. Then place a few feeding stations in plants or branches for them.
Noooooooooooooo! Lol! No more please!
Would my Cham like a baby anole snack? I doubt I could follow through with that. What am I going to do though!?

Great idea with the fruit flies, TOTALLY DOING THAT! thanks lady, you’re the best as always.

Noooooooooooooo! Lol! No more please!
Would my Cham like a baby anole snack? I doubt I could follow through with that. What am I going to do though!?

Great idea with the fruit flies, TOTALLY DOING THAT! thanks lady, you’re the best as always.
Hey I googled it so maybe it is wrong :banghead:

Your welcome though glad I could be of help. COUGH COUGH lol. xoxox

I, like Jan, live in Florida and support my local "willdlings" as well. I kick the boring brown ones outside, but the pretty green ones with the eyeliner get to enjoy my cham free range! Only when my males aren't using it though as they tend to try and eat any wild anoles.

Here's me the other day:

20191219_151023.jpg

No scale here, but that's a bigger medium or small adult cricket.

20191217_162948.jpg

Out of focus, but it jumped for freedom right after I took that. It was living in the bromeliad when I went to check my pups!

20191212_173956.jpg

This one was pretty feisty. Always trying to bite! I gave it a cricket but it was too freaked to eat it.

Interesting... you seem to have lots of "not in bloom" orchids like me! I let mother nature handle them and in no time they're back in bloom! I've recently taken to orchids quite heavily... luckily there is a lady at the local flea market that gives me a deal!! I have 2 that smell amazing and 2-3 that produce some HUGE blooms. My favorites are my deep red one, orange and my pink aromatic one. I've spent entirely too much on orchids lately! Glad I'm not the only one with"planted leaves" though, hehe.

I’m not sure how the eggs are incubating in there?!

CuC don't actually touch eggs unless they start going bad (or are starving), so it's totally doable to incubate in bioactive! It can be a bit tougher to successfully incubate chameleon eggs in bioactive unless you have a relatively light watering schedule, however, as you can drown the eggs. For species with lesser water needs, though... :)

So cute!

Back
Top Bottom