I’m so frustrated trying to find a tall plant or bush to put in my enclosure!

Lindasjackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
I’ve looked everywhere for a ficus but cannot find one smaller than 4 feet tall. I have brought home a rubber plant and a golden coleus. Both are about 1 to 1 1/2 foot tall in their pots. Are either of these safe for charms? I’m having a hard time finding the safe plant list at the moment.

I’ve looked everywhere for a ficus but cannot find one smaller than 4 feet tall. I have brought home a rubber plant and a golden coleus. Both are about 1 to 1 1/2 foot tall in their pots. Are either of these safe for charms? I’m having a hard time finding the safe plant list at the moment.
I do not know about the coleus but the rubber tree will be harder to grip and climb on. Your Jackson does not eat the plants and from the simple search on both these plants that I did nothing specific pops out about them being sap producing if broken.

One thing you can do is use a plastic coated metal riser shelf (typically found in pantry organization) or a pot flipped up side down below the plants. This will get them higher in your enclosure.

If it is too tall, jut bend and trim. I have a few with "S" shaped stalks. Look into bonzi technique, You don't have to go that far, but the principals apply. You will likely have better luck with a larger plant cut and trimmed down as it will allow thicker branches.

Rubber tree ain't great better choices. Is this a veiled ? because that will change things. A ficus will get eaten on the new shoots, but adult leaves are left. So bigger = better. trim out gaps for him to climb. We always say grow into. But you can shape to fit as well.

Are use the Majesty Palm in mine and it’s working well. I have a lot of branches so I’m less reliant on the plants for climbing. They have been able to grip it tho.

Okay, I’m back from the nursery and I traded the rubber tree for an umbrella plant. I’ve rinsed the thing unmercifully! Lol! im going to add it to his enclosure shortly.
This will work much much better for your little one. Easier to grip and hide in as well.

Okay, I’m back from the nursery and I traded the rubber tree for an umbrella plant. I’ve rinsed the thing unmercifully! Lol! im going to add it to his enclosure shortly.
I put an umbrella plant (Schefflera arbicola) in 7 months ago, and it's still sitting on an inverted pot, though it's shot up some branches.

A short while back, Lowes had some nice centerpiece plant candidates in the 3-4' range for around (IIRC) $15. I picked up an additional mass cane, and it's working out great.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/36-mass-canes-at-lowes.182438/

Back
Top Bottom